Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

I think something has got lost in the translation olegg
May be.
It is russian idiom in my interpretation.
But the meaning is very simple:
if the first union between McLaren and Honda was very successful
this does not mean that they get something good with reunion

Last edited:
I think it is the end of Mclaren Honda but not Mclaren just yet
Alonso stance has gotten more frustrating . Honda want to be serious and demand Mclaren show it as well in signing world class drivers but Honda have somehow managed to take 3 steps backwards and are dragging down Mclaren and Honda with them

The Dennis' project with Honda's comeback didn't work.
I wonder how did Alonso's comeback to the team despite the history of 2007 affected on this situation?
Is Alonso a victim of the failures of the Honda?
Or is he one of the cause of the collapse of the old team?

another gp & another honda failure. with alonsos haidralic fault. i thought for a while i can see Fernando Alonso driving for mclaren or Honda powering Mclaren in 2018. but i just cant see how realistically Alonso will be driving a Mclaren Honda

You know Alonso should declare he would drive for free and see which teams would take his services because he earns £30m a year and really just taking a pay cheque is not kerbing his frustrations that he should be getting better machinery for all his efforts and machinery

olegg Alonso for his role in 2007 cost Mclaren $200m at least

$100m for the fine
$100m lost for Mclaren getting disqualified from the constructors when they would have been champions

then

he walked away from his contract for nothing when Mclaren protested it was watertight which would have been at least another $50m for the remaining 2 years

plus possible sponsorship money that Mclaren would have got. It was lucky for them that Mercedes , Vodafone and Santander were prepared to stick with Mclaren through the pain.

Where Mclaren have gone appears to be when Ron took over and it just seems that no one was keeping lids on what Honda was doing and just took their word

Ross Brawn said Honda's problem is that they build their engines in Japan when the main pool of engineers and engines are built in Britain and they are missing out on pooling outside talent and useful knowledge and skills

I think everyone is pretty fed up with Honda and they can bring their :censored: and embarrassment to Sauber

WHOOOO McLaren have finally won :1st::1st: :1st:

the f1 raft race :whistle:

IMG_20170611_110554.jpg
IMG_20170611_110551.jpg

Last edited:
McLaren’s Saturday afternoon media briefing was a difficult affair for Honda F1 boss Yusuke Hasegawa. Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne have been rooted to the bottom of the speed trap figures all weekend. Hasegawa was quizzed on the delayed upgrade planned for this race - it wasn't technically delayed, he said, because he had never promised it publicly, only to go on to admit he had hoped there would be one. Would it be in Baku for the next race? “I can’t promise if it is ready,” Hasegawa said. How did the Honda bosses feel about the engine’s lack of performance? “Obviously they are not happy about the current situation but they are thinking this is a long-term project so although we can't wait, they are committed to this project very well,” he said. “But, yes, every day they are pushing me to get good result but they understand it is a very difficult challenge.”

He was even asked whether he thought he should resign. “Maybe there is someone who can lead this programme better,” Hasegawa said. “If he is here, OK, I have to change the position. But I am trying my best. This is the only thing I can do.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A farce :givemestrength::o for saying they had an upgrade but it was never promised when it was delivered

I am sorry about Hasegawa san resigning might be the honourable thing to do but it does not get to the root cause of the problems why Honda are not able to get anything right

very interesting on commentary that Crofty has said that Bahraini part of Mclaren, mansour ojei spotted having discussions with mercedes people. Dieter Zetsche in monaco then toto wolff & niki lauda this weekend

trying to figure out, who Is the bigger dead man walking Honda or Theresa May

After today's Monaco GP, McLaren have now officially had their worst ever start to an F1 season in failing to score any points in the first 6 races. Their previous worst start was no points in the first five in 1981. A run that came to an end with points at the 1981 Monaco GP.

Only once before, in 1971, has the team gone 6 races at any stage of the season without scoring a point. This record will be broken if McLaren fail to score next time out.

As I posted, this is now officially McLaren's poorest season. Never before has the team gone 7 races at any stage of the season without scoring a point.

Its worse still when you think we are talking about not even a achieving a top 10 finish in 7 races (and 14ish starts).

Back
Top Bottom