Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

After today's Monaco GP, McLaren have now officially had their worst ever start to an F1 season in failing to score any points in the first 6 races. Their previous worst start was no points in the first five in 1981. A run that came to an end with points at the 1981 Monaco GP.

Only once before, in 1971, has the team gone 6 races at any stage of the season without scoring a point. This record will be broken if McLaren fail to score next time out.

Which they will. Even the early-90s Peugeot partnership yielded a better return than this dismal Honda era. I can't bear to watch anymore...

Well, looking at it two ways, JB would not have been where he was if it was not for the poor reliability of the engine, however, neither driver had engine issue through the race.

for a change.

They left that opportunity to Alonso.

I wonder if JB did actually pee in the seat?

Given the rate of problems that McLaren have had this season, Alonso should expect to have about 7 more grid penalties for engine component changes this year!

Honda need just give up on 2017 go back to the drawing board and treat every Gp as a test for new components : after all they cant go further back on the grid last

Well they won't bring the engine upgrade to Canada allegedly because apparently it aint reliable enough :facepalm::rolleyes::givemestrength:

The worst engine partner fall outs I've seen was BMW and Williams and to a lesser extent Peugeot and Prost whilst Renault were very restrained in not cutting Red Bull's head off when they were thrown to the wolves publicly in 2015

But seriously someone needs to tell Honda whatever they are doing right now is :censored: and they need to change their approach

I really don't understand why Honda don't have one of their 2008 cars with a hybrid engine fitted bashing round Suzuka 24 hours a day to sort these problems out. I bet none of the other engine manufacturers would be so shy if they had similar issues.

The worst Honda car running the worst Honda engine!!!

1 outlap in 24 hours will provide precious little data i fear!!

FB - I'll bet they either (a) threw it in a skip or (b) sold it to Ross Brawn and it is as such now owned by Mercedes-Benz (who probably threw it in a skip).

They should have the 2008 McLaren hanging around though; the Kovalainen one is surely not on display!

Back
Top Bottom