Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

I Don't think it'll be JB as stand in. My money is on Honda giving Matsushita a run before they put him in the Sauber drive next year.

The Artist.....

You may be right but let's remember JB is not doing a race series this year and has had no time in the modern F1 cars and therefore might not fancy coming to Monaco and having a crap drive just for the sake of it.

Mclaren's official reserve drivers are Matsushita and Oliver Turvey - both of whom will get car time in the young driver test. Interestingly Turvey will be driving at Monaco in Formula E the week before and that could be seen as a good warm up.

Of course I'm pretty sure Paul Di Resta is probably on the phone to Mclaren right now but we can only prey they've blocked his number.

I do understand what you mean about Monaco being different marketing wise and it would make sense to have a name like Button around but if they cared that much why let Alonso go in the first place?

JB will be in Monaco, watching from his balcony.
Maldonado tried obtaining a seat at Mercedes for this season, I can see him trying to get into the McLaren seat too but his record in Monaco (never finished a race there in F1) and overall makes him an unlikely candidate.

I'd have my money on Nasr or one of the McLaren test drivers.

Did you know that before he got into F1 that Maldonado was actually banned from ever racing in the province of Monaco after not slowing down for yellows and killing a Marshall?

Not sure how it ever got overturned.

EDIT - just checked that and the Marshall was not killed bit was severely injured.

Last edited:
This was a bit left field that Alonso will miss Monaco and race at Indy 500 in a Honda powered car. It would be a shock if he did win but he's such an adaptable driver I would not be surprised

The names banded out about who will drive the 2nd Mclaren at Monaco

Norris - what a debut but that is the worst race to have a debut given its unforgiveable nature of the track and punishing driver errors

Rosberg - but surely neither he or Mercedes want him racing at Monaco in another team's car at the back - a PR disaster for himself and Mercedes

Button - contracted to drive as reserve driver and makes sense given he is a world champion and former Monaco winner but what can they do to convince him to get back in the car?

Matshushita - the Honda man but known to be erratic at times

Remember Mclaren need sponsors and Monaco is the place where all big cheeses turn up so the team having two inexperienced drivers at the back and junking chassis is not something Mclaren want at the moment

RasputinLives - I was aware of the ban and it is a m¥$t€r¥ how it got overturned...

Having said that, his F1 teams must wish it hadn't what with all the DNFs. He won there in GP2 iirc.

If I were McLaren, I certainly wouldn't look at Maldonado LOL, but I'm not sure I'd be at Lovely Boy's Sub Drivers' Agency either. What have they got to lose throwing a driver in to see what happens?

It's ten years since Robert Kubica was injured for the USGP at Indianapolis; what was that kid who replaced him called again?

Name the last driver who made their debut at Monaco??

It seems like the cars this year are quite unforgiving if you make a mistake and get your lines which I am expecting to see more at Monaco.

According to Mclaren's young driver programme they have Norris, Matsushita and De Vries. The latter two were due to compete that weekend at Formula 2. Norris does not have a race but I presume he has an F1 superlicence and will be 18 by Monaco Gp to be able to race ?

Monaco is probably the most unforgiving track to be making your debut I just don't see Mclaren making that risk without seriously
having spoken to Button as well when they first proposed to Alonso to do Indy500

Last edited:
RasputinLives Thank you which means he is the only who can legitimately race to stop teams suddenly promoting a "Verstappen" So chances of Norris getting the drive are almost zero I thought even if Mclaren try to make a special case

Which is why

Jenson Button set to replace Fernando Alonso for McLaren at Monaco Grand Prix
---------------

I was thinking just the lure of racing t Monaco ought to be good enough for JB to tempt him back in the car

Last edited:
It's a shame really, why does Monaco have to go head to head with the Indy 500? It is about the only circuit where McLaren might be able to spring a surprise. On the other hand if it is a race with occasional showers Button might be a good choice especially with a few safety cars at the right times.

Back
Top Bottom