Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

Anyone old enough to remember a documentary about Graham Taylor as England Manager in the early 90s knows documentaries can be a dangerous thing. At worst this Mclaren thing will be like that and at its best it'll all come off very Spinal Tap.

Odd decision. Really is.

I'm not old enough to recall the Graham Taylor documentary, but it became the abiding memory of a decent man under indecent pressure.

I doubt there's an upside to this, I suspect it could well be a thoroughly humiliating experience for McLaren, for Honda and for just about anyone connected to them except Stoffel Vandoorne.

Zak Brown: "So this is a very special gearbox. Can you see why?

Presenter "Its gears go all the way up to 11"

ZB: "Exactly! All the other teams they're driving along and they really want to go a bit faster but they're in tenth gear and have got nowhere to go. We can go up to 11 for just that little bit more"

P: "Yes but does the 11th gear make the car go any faster? Does it generate more horsepower?"

ZB: ".........."

P: "........."

ZB: ".....but this one goes up to 11"

I must admit, the first thing I thought of when I read McLaren were doing a documentary was the parallels to the Graham Taylor one.

"Do I not like that"

In 1993, McLaren teamed up with the BBC to make a documentary; "The Team, A season with McLaren" -

This was a great documentary, as it actually showcased a team in with a real shot at the title... (This episode was about sponsorship. Given McLaren's current complete lack of sponsorship, means that this would be rather missing!)

I suspect many remember the McLaren documentary, but how many remember the Jordan documentary

I wonder if they will take us to the room where they keep Fernando's pram and introduce us to the poor chap (or chapess) who's job it is to put all the toys back in it?....

I think FB that Vettel ran off with the pram and the toys when he leapt out of RBR after being beaten by Ricciardo; he made good use of them last year.

I know that the season is only one race old but from how it went Vettel will be putting the pram and the toys on Ebay.

I suspect part of the reason is to get sponsors if they can see what Mclaren goes through and somehow convince people to sponsor it

It may sound odd at first but you might say desperate times calls for desperate measures. I doubt if Ron Dennis was still in charge he would agree to this

FB

I think it shows desperation and it is the only way they can seriously grab some new sponsors because the owners don;t want to use their own pockets

Mclaren want to portray they are at the cutting edge of technology but it is somewhat sad that this is their way to try and gain attention

Would someone please send Alonso down to the Renault garage with his cap in his hand and a note pointing out how much he did for Renault in the 2000s.

LOL
17 years ago
Even I know I can't give what I had to any employer...

He's good but no Time Lord - although it might be fun if he was... He should write to the BBC :)

Bill Boddy Alonso to Team Enstone? You know I always wonder why Mclaren did not try and hire James Allinson once he became available which mght have swayed Alonso to stay longer at Mclaren

Basically every race he has is a shoot out to prove he deserves his chance at say Mercedes

Interestling Zac Brown came out saying he did not put an ultimatum on Honda to deliver a good engine

Shouldn't need an ultimatum. If an F1 engine supplier produces a glorified shopmobility scooter engine then they should be aware that the team will instinctively tend towards doing one.

Fernando Alonso to race in 2017 Indianapolis 500

2017-04-12-11-24-14--1834190330.jpg

images-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom