Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

In one of the pre-race interviews Alonso said something about Monaco being of the three races every racing driver wants to win (Le Mans and Indy being the others) so maybe he will try have a go at the other two at some time.

Well Alonso is 33 in July, he's probably got another 5 years left in him. I believe his contract expires at the end of 2016(?), I think if Ferrari haven't delivered a title by then he will leave and try join another team and win a title quickly. Although I'm no fan of Alonso I can acknowledge he is a great of the sport and it would be sad for him to go over 10 years without a title.

I also think that he is a few years paast his prime, which will make getting that third WDC more difficult

If Fernando doesn't collect a win in Austria, he will have matched the longest winless drought of his career, discounting his rookie his season at Minardi. He went 22 races between wins at Hungary 2003 and Malaysia 2005. It's now been 21 races since his memorable win in Spain last year. He also went 19 races between victories from Japan 2008 to Bahrain 2010.

I also think that he is a few years paast his prime, which will make getting that third WDC more difficult

I heard more than once that you are at your prime at 32, which he is.

Remember him saying when he was at Renault that he was not gonna do F1 for that long and he certainly wouldn't be in the sport as long as Michael.......9 years later, guess he changed his mind.

Aagh, nothing good on getting old. :teary:

So Fernando's latest mind game....sorry I mean interview has him stating that whilst its nice to have the respect of everyone for the great job he's been doing in the struggling Ferrari he's had for 5 years he would rather have no respect and more trophies.

This seems to condradict a recent statement he made regarding Vettels 4 world titles in the 'best car' and time tellimg who will be seen as the greatest.

But then as he recently stated that Massa was the fastest team mate he ever had (pow! Take that Kimi....and a backhander for Lewis whilst I'm at it) Fernando's dealimgs with the media I think have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I do believe he'd rather be a 5 time world champion hated by everyone than in his current situation though. I just wouldn't expect him to admit it.

Last edited:
Alonso must have felt lonely in the Austrian GP. There were four Mercedes cars in front of him which he didn't really have a chance of getting close to (did I hear Rob Smedley send a message to Massa as a gee-up?) whilst he was steadily pulling away from the drivers behind him. I think that he was closer than a couple of races ago but there is still a long way to go before it is close to parity.

What I find interesting is that when some people talk about MS winning all those WDCs at Ferrari, they say things like"anyone could win in that car" and "they basically bought the titles with their huge budget" and other similar rubbish. Well, here's Alonso in the same huge-budget team in a car designed by the same man ('Rory Byrne) who designed ALL of MS's winning cars, yet FA isn't exactly setting the world on fire. Maybe MS was a bit better than they care to admit, because nobody can argue that FA is mediocre.

Talk about adding 2 and 2 together to get 5!

Completely different eras under completely different regulations. Schumacher and Co. were operating with a set of advantages that Fernando can only dream of. It's impossible to make an evaluation on the career of either Schumacher or Alonso by simply noting the presence of one Rory Byrne across the span of nearly two decades under drastically different regimes.

Keke

So, you think that Hamilton's number of victories is comparable to Stewart's even though JYS accrued his 40 years ago and was competing against the likes of Jim Clark,Graham Hill,Jack Brabham, John Surtees, Denis Hulme, Bruce McLaren, Jochen Rindt, Chris Amon, Dan Gurney, Jo Siffert and Pedro Rodriguez, not the wimpy fields of today.

Yet you claim that Alonso's record at Ferrari cannot be compared to that of Schumacher even though it was less than a decade ago!!

True consistency

Last edited:
After seeing those overtakes on Sunday I can't help feeling that if Alonso is on the way down he is doing it very slowly.

What I found very entertaining was Alonso's duel with current champ Vettel fighting for 5th place. It seems Alonso is not the only one on the way down ...

Yet you claim that Alonso's record at Ferrari cannot be compared to that of Schumacher even though it was less than a decade ago!!

The point was that you cannot make a blanket judgement on either Schumacher or Alonso's Ferrari tenure simply based on the presence of Rory Byrne. You can only be judged against your competition at the time and by the regulations to which you are constrained. Ferrari enjoyed historic technical advantages in the 2000's. Their recent drought is in large part due to the leveling of the playing field. So as I said earlier, you're comparing apples to oranges.

One final note on Byrne, he's more or less an "advisor" now, which in Newey's case people have more or less read as "retirement". Ascribing this, or any other recent Ferrari as a "Byrne" car is quite a stretch.

Back
Top Bottom