Driver Numbers

I was actually wondering if one of the drivers choices has gone whether or not they would be allowed to pick another one to make up the full 3 when it came to their turn.

Surely there is a process in other forms of motorsport which allows drivers/riders to select their number, why is this "special" for F1?

I suppose because it's new, I assume in the future new arrivals to the sport will be allowed to chose a number that is available without restraint, for instance Valentino Rossi carries number 46 because it was the number his dad rode with and it was available the only difference is that the FIA are forcing the drivers to use a number for the whole of their career and I'm not sure that is the rule in MotoGP I believe it is optional and they can change it if they want...

Last edited:
I don't think Hamilton wants no 4 or 5 the positions he's finished in since his world title

Does driver numbers extend to the fact that the winning constructor can only have car no 1 and no 2.

Car No 22 please if you're a British driver

Il_leone - Make no mistake, if I were Lewis I'd be in 22 all the way! I half-suspect he'll try to pick a "Senna" number...

As for 1 and 2 - 1 is for the drivers' champion but anyone can pick 2.

Last edited:
I am afraid, sushifiesta, that you are referencing an inexact article. The FIA release is here:
http://www.fia.com/formula-one-regulation-changes
In which it states:
"• Driver numbers

Drivers will be asked to choose their race number, between 2 and 99, for the duration of their career in the FIA Formula One World Championship. Number 1 will be reserved for the current World Champion, should he choose to use it."

Thus, and as I stated previously in this post:http://cliptheapex.com/threads/driver-numbers.6632/#post-226407, numbers 3-98 can be selected by drivers.

Just because it's in Autosport doesn't mean it's accurate.
If the FIA has subsequently published alternative information I apologise.

Last edited:
gethinceri

The article you've just referenced also says they can choose a number between 2 and 99....

Your assumption is that between means excluding those numbers, but it is equally correct to assume that it is inclusive!

Last edited:
Thread tidied up due a pointless and rather bizarre meta debate which served no purpose what so ever. Please try and avoid such bizarre nonsense again.

FB

Last edited:
I was having a philosophical debate on the meaning of numbers and the accuracy of the written word in connection to the difference between clarity and ambiguity, I don't know what everyone else was doing..:(

Last edited:
And that was relevant to choice of which F1 driver will carry which number next year because? Anyway, enough of the philosophising please keep the thread on track, thanks.

It was relevant to the process of choosing a number and the FIA's inability to make things clear and it was just a bit of banter as there is precious little else to talk about in the off season.

The FIA should have worded it "From" and "To" and not "Between" the fact is they are casual in their use of language and this has caused problems on more than one occasion in the past..

But your point is taken and will be heeded..

Last edited:
Il_leone - Might be a good one for Hamilton, though. The number of his debut in F1, first win etc.

It could also be seen as a Senna tribute - he died at the wheel of car #2, so it could seem like carrying the work of Senna on.

Interestingly, only one man has won a title in the 2 car - Alain Prost - who won three titles in it! Partly due to Mansell's retirement and partly due to his all-star list of team-mates.

teabagyokel Indeed that is overlooked about Prost's achievements being the only driver who has managed to win with car NO 2 and obviously 2 reigning world champions and the other one Mclaren one having another teammate who was world champion

I don't believe anyone has asked for Car No 4 because it sounds like death in certain cultures

------------------------

I wonder if anyone goes for 46 would they face a lawsuit from the Doctor

34 was Kevin Schwantz which has been retired in Moto GP

Back
Top Bottom