1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driver Numbers

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by sushifiesta, Dec 14, 2013.

1. sushifiesta

sushifiesta Champion Elect Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I thought this could do with it's own article although there have been comments elsewhere. So the FIA's troop of monkeys have been busy locked away at work with their typewriters and come up with a handful of new mostly mindboggling regulations. One of the more sane changes is that from now on the drivers will get to pick a number between 2 and 99 that stays with them for their whole career (with the current champion having the option to use number 1).

The FIA have already asked the drivers what numbers they want, along with a 2nd and 3rd choice, with priority given to the driver who finished highest in the 2013 WDC where there are conflicts. They have to submit their answers by the end of the year so I guess we should hear the results in early January.

As a starting point though, one driver has announced the number he wants - and it's quite a clever one I think. Let me introduce you to Mr. Valtteri Bo77as: https://twitter.com/ValtteriBottas/status/411533807163277312 .

Any proposals for driver numbers you'd like to see? Or general comments about the change in the numbering rules?

Allocated Numbers:

DriverNumber
    Sebastian VETTEL5 (will use 1 in 2014 as champion)
    Daniel RICCIARDO3
    Lewis HAMILTON 44
    Nico ROSBERG6
    Fernando ALONSO14
    Kimi RAIKKONEN7
    Romain GROSJEAN8
    Pastor MALDONADO13
    Jenson BUTTON22
    Kevin MAGNUSSEN20
    Nico HULKENBERG27
    Sergio PEREZ11
    Adrian SUTIL99
    Esteban GUTIERREZ21
    Jean-Eric VERGNE25
    Daniil KVYAT26
    Felipe MASSA19
    Valtteri BOTTAS77
    Jules BIANCHI17
    Max CHILTON4

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. sobriety

sobriety Podium Finisher

Button could have 18, stylised to look like 'JB'

Vettel? When he's not number 1 I guess oculd be 55, which you can mashup into 5V

4. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #bringbackmaldo Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fernando Alon80?

Want to see Hammy take his Championship 22.

Hope no-one takes 3 with all the stuff that's happened in that car!

5. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    So shall we have bets on a joker going for 69

Do you think drivers will be able to have the number in a colour.The one I remember was Nigels red 5, it was iconic.

This is interesting. Lucky and Unlucky numbers around the world.

Lucky-and-Unlucky-Numbers.png

Jos the Boss and Plutus like this.
  6. LifeW12

LifeW12 Podium Finisher

Featured Threads:
    I think the 27 is one of F1's most iconic numbers; Villeneuve, Alesi, Senna all had stints in it.

7. Viscount

Viscount Pole Sitter Contributor

I bet Hamilton goes for 23.

8. no-FIAt-please

no-FIAt-please Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Viscount Kovalainen's number in 2008?

9. rufus_mcdufus

rufus_mcdufus Race Winner

Lewis's age when he last won something?

Plutus likes this.
  10. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I was never cool at school. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Are they no allowing Damon's Zero to be taken?

I still think this is a stupid rule and takes away from the whole idea of the team championship. Its just the first step to 3 car teams and different liveries within team cars.

McZiderRed and mjo like this.
  11. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #bringbackmaldo Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Viscount - Senna always went with evens, so Lewis will follow. Not to mention he had evens in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2013 and odds in his two poorer seasons.

Think Vettel might go for 69! Kinky Kylie, indeed.

I think of someone desperately wanted 0, especially of they're a Hill family member, the rules will bend.

12. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Banned Contributor

I'd chose the age I was the first time a girl said to me "I'll show you mine if you show me yours." so that would be 5 then...

Jos the Boss likes this.
  13. gethinceri

gethinceri "suck my balls honey" Contributor

Featured Threads:
    As written in the regulations, with the exception of the title holder, drivers can select numbers 3 to 98.

14. Plutus

Plutus Rookie

Vettel better take the number one otherwise no one will be using it for the next 10 years or so.

15. Il_leone

Il_leone Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    in reference to 500Cc/ MotoGP where riders can pick any number except No 1 is designated for world champions

If my memory serves me right not since Mick Doohan back in 1998 a reigning world champion has not managed to defend their title carrying No 1... Valentino Rossi even though he was world champion was still carrying no 46

- Stoner/ Lorenzo/ Hayden/ Roberts Jnr/ Criville have all failed to defend their title carrying no 1

16. Jos the Boss

Jos the Boss Champion Elect

Rosberg has asked for 6, 5 and 9, in that order, 6 for Keke
    Checo- 11
    Massa- 19
    Kimi- 7
    Alonso 14
    That's all I've read so far, as well as Bottas having 77

teabagyokel likes this.
  17. sushifiesta

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Jos the Boss Have you got links? Are they officially confirmed our rumours? I'm just in the process of adding a table to the original post now.

18. Jos the Boss

sushifiesta likes this.
  19. Il_leone

Il_leone Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    If I was Button or Hamilton I would want car No 22 since they both won the drivers title with that number !

20. sushifiesta

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    The article says Rosberg wants 6, 5 or 9 as well I think? I couldn't find anything about Perez in that article but there's one here that mentions he wants 11: http://www.aljazeera.com/sport/form...-double-points-plan-20131214115122555423.html

I'll try to keep the table I've added at the top up to date over the coming weeks.

21. Jos the Boss

It does, I mentioned that in my first post! It's just various sources of twitter I get these things from!

sushifiesta likes this.

Share This