Cycling

And that is my ankle from when a buffoon decided to try and slice my Achilles in two with his chainset, I was stopped at the time.
IMAG0719.jpg

A smidge! I wouldn't have minded, but it was less then five miles in! I suppose it is a price you pay for going on a ride with 30k people, many of whom do not have a clue about riding in large groups!

I am contemplating a new bicycle, the difference between two I fancy is £300.00 and he only real spec difference is Tiagra v 105. Will I see/feel a big difference, and if so, what value would you put on that difference?

I've decided its time to get a little healthier as I'm getting older so thinking of taking up cycling again. I'm not looking for a road bike for commuting but something I can just use along the canal at weekends. What sites do you recommend to get a bike from. I'm looking at the low budget end of the scale as I may be buying another for a certain someone as well.

It used to be that if you lived in Yorkshire JRJ was the one, there was an argument between the co-owners and the bit that survived was Bob Jackson. I suppose that it's all changed now.

F1Yorkshire I use Chainreactioncycles.com, Cyclestore.co.uk, Tredz.co.uk and wiggle, I would avoid Bikes2udirect. However, there are so many these days, they are tough to choose between. I would look for the bike you want in a local cycle shop, then try and get the best deal on line once you know what sizes you need. A friend of mine managed to get £200 off a bike just by looking round. Also, if you are looking for a bargain, look at an old model, from 2012/11, as these will be a lot cheaper.

gethinceri what are the two bikes in question? I would not think you would find a massive difference, although I would expect there to be some, partially weight and materials, but things like the action of the gears and brakes should be better. a £300 difference does sound quite high for the gap, unless the other components and/or frame are different.

More bike buying questions.

I popped into a local cycling shop today to see what would suit me. The sales girl took one look at my lanky legs and said I would need a extra large frame. Tried a 21" frame out for size and she recommended I went bigger if possible but they don't have anything in stock.

This has now reduced my buying options. I've found a couple of interesting bikes online, they are within budget but I was told to get disc brakes if possible. How much difference do they make over standard brakes? It's a crucial question as the price difference between disc and standard is around £100

Alternatively if I did get a bike with standard brakes is it possible to upgrade to disc when I have the extra funds?

F1Yorkshire Get something that feels comfortable, it depends on your leg length, arm length, overall height etc. Not just one factor.

As for brakes I'd recommend disc personally. The increased modulation is a great improvement over rim brakes, as is the overall power. Don't forget that you can get mechanical disc brakes and also hydraulic disc brakes, hydros are more expensive but better. As for upgrading to disc brakes later on... it wouldn't be easy. You wouldn't have any brake mounts on the frame or fork in the correct place, then you would also need disc compatable hubs, for either 6 bolt rotors (the standard) or for centre lock rotors (Shimano rotors). So a lot of additional cost.

Basically if you think you that you would upgrade to disc brakes later on I'd get a bike that comes specced with them. My recommendation would be Shimano brakes, a fantastic reputation and easy to service.

Take your time, don't listen to any bollocks like "you look like you'll need an extra large frame". If they don't have the bike in stock they will be able to get it for you. This does not reduce your buying options.
I am 5'11" and the bike I ride has a 56cm frame, not because I'm 5'11" but because that's what fits me, you need to understand more about reach, inside leg and the like to get a true fit but in essence you will find many bikes that will suit you. Is this a road bike that you are looking for? If so then disc brakes will be an unnecessary additional cost, I don't know enough about mountain bikes to give advice on those.
EDIT: just looked back and you're looking for a road bike, disc will be a waste of your money.

I will be going over semi rough terrain on the towpath as even though a lot of it is tarmac there are quite a lot of areas where it's still rough with potholes. I'm looking at Hybrids and found these so far:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Viking-Notting-Gents-Sports-Hybrid/dp/B00BKYANGG/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/crosstrail-sport-disc-2013-hybrid-bike-ec041315

Apart from the suspension forks on the second bike what is the difference between them both? I'm trying to work out how much bike you would get if you paid double the money.

The 2nd bike is my bike F1Yorkshire!

Looks like the amazon bike comes with cable disc brakes and the Specialized comes with hydraulic. After that you're paying for higher quality in the components. The geometry in the 2nd bike is like to be better and I would imagine that it is a lighter bike too. However some of the increase in cost is because you're paying for a brand and that big bike company has to pay for it's marketing costs etc.

I'm obviously looking in the right area then. Considering what is be using it for I don't think the extra £250 is worth spending. I do have a couple of the specialized bikes on my eBay watch list so will see what they go for otherwise I'll be getting something like the one on amazon.

Need to find something for sale in the local area. Will be keeping an eye on eBay and amazon to see what comes up.

Back
Top Bottom