Cycling

Hello me again.

Did some more research, found few reviews about Viking but the ones I found definitely didn't do the brand any favours so I've been searching again.

Apparently the Carrera brand isn't too bad for a halfords type bike and this one more within my budget. Only difference I have seen that will make a huge difference is the alloy frame. 13.4kg doesn't seem heavy to me but what is that like in bike terms?

That looks to be a good find. Weight isn't an important issue really, especially total bike weight, it only makes a slight difference to acceleration and how easy it is to climb hills. I'd hold off on buying it just yet, that bike has been on HUKD the last few weeks for £200. Also if you sign up to British Cycling and get a membership (£20?) you can save 10%, so a way to save £8.

BTW when dealing with Halfords make sure you let them build the bike rather than yourself, if you don't then it voids your warranty. However this being said, once it is built by them make sure you inspect every element of it because they are shoddy as hell.

Good advice with HUKD, I'm still watching a few on ebay and Sh4dow85 has pointed out I'm busy next weekend anyway so can't go out on a ride with her then so might as well keep looking a little longer.

Impressive riding but I'd have to love to have a go at building the set. So much fun to be had making oversize toys. I can't believe the flip at 2:25 was done in one take though.

I've been looking at mapping apps to use on my phone so I know where I'm going if I ever decide to venture off the safety of the towpath. I looked for all the best free apps available and had a quick play with them to see which is most suitable for my needs.

The apps I found were: Maps 3D Lite, Bike Hub, Bike Brain and Cycle Streets. I already had Strava after the earlier recommendation.

Bike Brain seems to be more of a fitness based app similar to strava. You can log trips, see what speed you're travelling and compare previous times from the same distances. Very useful for training but not much of a navigation tool as it plots where you are and not where you need to go.

Maps 3D does exactly what it says on the tin. Basically a 2d map but with added contours showing the various heights along the route. Route planning is available but not on the free version.

Cycle Streets has a mapping service very similar to google maps where it includes all the cycle networks and can plan a route for you but gives the information in a turn by turn list format, Not sure how useful this would be while trying to ride even with the phone mounted to the handlebars. Routes can be chosen by fastest, shortest, quietest or balanced combining all features.

Finally the last app I have had a quick play with was Bike Hub. Like with Cycle Streets it has a full mapping service and route planning where different routes can be planned depending on if you are looking for the quickest or shortest. The balanced option automatically routes away from hills where possible. A second map view shows the elevation changes along the route as well.
You can save routes as well and download the maps required for a route before leaving your house, very useful for cycling in areas with no internet coverage.
I left one of the best features of this app till almost the end. It actually has turn by turn audio navigation similar to the ones you find in most car navigation systems. How this performs while riding I don't know yet but will give it a go once I pick up my bike.
I've saved the best feature though till last, you can select points of interest along the route, it has cycle shops plus the usual tourist spots but most importantly you can search for all pubs along the route. It's a clear winner in my book!

What's all this avoiding hills malarkey? They go to all the best places, you can't get to the head of Wharfedale without going uphill!

It will locate cafes, restaurants and supermarkets so hopefully some of them will sell pies for you Geth

Just been out on my 1st ride! Still haven't managed to pick up my bike yet but seeing as I had my new shorts and jacket I couldn't resist a ride so I went out on Sh4dow85's mbk.

Loaded up strava and for 7 miles down a busy towpath I managed an average of 12mph, not brilliant but I was having to slow down considerably everytime I got behind a jogger/fisherman/young chav with child on a narrow section of towpath.

I did manage to get up to 25.6 mph though at one point.

Could have ridden further but thought I'd better wait until I got my own bike before pushing myself.

I know a few of you use Strava so would be interested in adding you on there to compare rides and fitness rates, I have noticed a leaderboard which is getting my competitive nature excited! no-FIAt-please does live local to me so we could compare times on the same run to see how I measure up.

I think you're worried that an older unfit serial gamer who hasn't regularly ridden a bike for over 15 years is going to show you up on a slower bike?

Getting your excuses in early, good strategy. Now why didn't I think of that...? :thinking::unsure:

Yorkshire's a big place. Where abouts you from? Skipton here.

I'm in Leeds, I am planning a few rides out towards skipton though along the canal, I worked it out to be about 16 miles to bingley so would have to really get my fitness up to make it to skipton and back but can be a good goal to work towards.

A while ago (few pages back somewhere) I was on about Chinese carbon fiber wheels. Incidentally for anyone interested (probably no one) here is a picture of a Chinese carbon fiber mtb frame. The quality is very good and a frame like this in your local bike shop would easily cost over a £1000, safe to say I didn't pay that much for this.

003.jpg

I honestly don't think I'd buy a complete bike again, I'd rather get one of these and build one up (/pay for someone not to mess it up for me).

Back
Top Bottom