Cycling

gethinceri that's one hell of a balance you've got there mate those wheels aren't even turning..

In the World Track Championships at Zurich the 1000 metre sprint final was notable for the length of time it took. Due to there being standstills at the start becoming fairly frequent the UCI had determined that the riders draw for leading out the first lap.

In the first heat of the 3 heat final Antonio Maspes led off, then as he got onto the banking at the star of the second lap he leaned forward, put his gloved hand on his front tyre and stopped. His opponent, Michel Roussou was taken by surprise but also stopped just ahead of Maspes. They did balancing acts, officially 25 minutes but I, and the only other person I know to have been there, both believe it was 45, but we must be wrong. Balancing on the banking is not an easy task so there were quite a few wobbles. In the end Rousseau lost it and had to lead out giving Maspes the advantage which he duly took.

In the second heat Rousseau tried to emulate Maspes, but only succeeded in three or four minutes. Maspes came through to win, recording a new 200 metres world record, I seem to remember it as being 10.2 seconds.

Not a lot of people know that.

http://walloffame.infostradasports.com/asp/index.asp?SortId=400

I'm about to order a new bike, probably with Campagnolo Athena, is anyone running this groupset?

CSL3500.jpg

Last edited:
The advent of mountain biking has revolutionised what riders once believed was possible on a 2-wheeler. The current world record track stand lasted 24 hours and six minutes. Riders have become so proficient at them, most racing leagues limit the duration and number allowed per rider per race (two per race of 30 seconds duration each seems to be common).

Trials-stye mountain bikers ride fixed gear bikes (no freewheel) so they can apply opposing force to the (braked) front wheel through the pedals and come to a complete stop and execute a track stand whenever necessary. They even can ride backwards. Apart from the death-defying jumps, the most impressive feat I ever have seen performed on a MTB was a rider riding on top of the rail on a US standard-gauge railroad track (four feet eight and a half inches between rails), he stops, and jumps, and propels the bike sideways to the other rail, spinning 180° in the air so that he lands both wheels on the opposite rail heading in the opposite direction.

This is a rather clumsy execution compared to some I have seen, but it was the only video I could find on the spur of the moment:

Granted, the wider tyres simplify the balancing, but the skills learnt on fat tyres definitely are carrying over to the roadies. Cannondale's Peter Sagan rides up the bonnet of his team's support car and parks on the roof:

When does it arrive? I am looking at a new bike at the moment, and will likely sort it when we have moved in to the new house (April 25th)

Looking at:

Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105
LaPierre Sensium 300
Giant Defy Composite 2
Canyon something
Focus Cayo
Boardman SLS 9.0

Too much choice on the market is my problem, I am a sucker for looking for things without being able to make a decision!! I can remember in the good old days, you either had to buy a Raleigh, Dawes or Falcon, there was very little else around. Nowadays there are literally hundreds of manufacturers all looking to take your folding, but many of them I have never heard of. Also, getting to actually sit on one before buying seems to be next to impossible, as my local bike shop only stocks certain brands, and to get my leg over a canyon (oooer!) is impossible as they are online sales only.

I shall likely change my mind many times between now and purchase, however, any suggestions welcome

gethinceri I read the Cycling plus boty piece, and that is one reason for looking at the cannondale, mostly though because it is a well known brand who offer a good warranty, and will likely have a good budget for R&D.

Being honest, I am not really sure how much stock I put in to these reviews, as so much of it seems to be at odds with everything I understand about materials etc. They talk about frames absorbing the bumps, but I cant see how that would happen enough to make a significant difference. The cynic in me says that they talk up those manufacturers who give them the best stuff. I understand about the geometry differences being important, and impacting comfort, and I get about the stiffness of a frame allowing the rider to transfer the power to the wheels better, but I struggle with the different lay up of carbon making a difference that anyone would realistically notice, and would put money on these testers choosing differently if all the frames were unbranded.

The most give on a bike will be in the tyres and the saddle, along with a little in the handlebars.

So, after all that, I want a carbon frame (stiffness and weight) with a good warranty, and reasonable componentry, and a good comfortable riding position. Preferably one which can make me as quick as Sir Brad!!!

I am erring towards the Cannondale (because of the above, and it looks ****ing lovely!!) but the others also look like great value, especially the Canyon.

I'm off to the bike shop for some inspiration!!

The Pits, try Rose. Their uk rep lives in Bath, he let me test ride 3 bikes a couple of weeks ago, you can't do that with Canyon. I know Bath is a trek (pun intended) for you but give him a ring and he may travel towards you, he's a nice guy.
nenoste95, I don't care, if it's on wheels I love it. Nibali is a great rider, a couple of years before he's the world's best I think, but he won't win Giro or Tour Of France this year. Wiggins will win the Giro and The Tour Of France will be won by Andy Schleck.
Weather is lovely here today so I just went and did this:
https://www.strava.com/activities/120548365

Last edited:
gethinceri

You bastard.

You have made a decision that I was already struggling with into something altogether more difficult. Thanks to your frankly welsh advice, I am now also looking at a Ribble, a Dolan, and a Rose bike.

Now I have about ten to choose from. >:(

I took about a year to choose the ideal bike for me The Pits, it's such a lot of money (the most I've spent on any item except a house) that I couldn't afford to get it wrong. My heart is in, and will stay in, my mouth until it comes.

Great link Bill Boddy, I will use them when my current bike needs a frame respray.
Are you a Campy fan, and if so, why? I've just ordered my new bike with an Athena groupset and would appreciate your thoughts.

It used to be basically a choice between Campag and Simplex for gears so it was a no-brainer. Anything that Campag made was high quality, I've still got my tee-spanner.

Back
Top Bottom