Cycling

I want more gears. 21 isn't enough for me. I've been on flat or downhill sections where I wish a had another set to go to. I like the low range of gears too for the uphill sections.

However did I manage to ride all over the Yorkshire Dales with only 5 gears? I thought that it was heaven going up to 10.

Well, I have been battering round north Norfolk for the last week, and haven't needed to use anything but the largest chainwheel, and never used the smallest sprockets. Only used about four gears, out of the 24.

It's bloody lovely cycling here.

Yes, when living in Norfolk there was not much necessity of changing gears. As I remember all the hills are in Norwich.

Not done much cycling recently apart from the commute to work and back. Managed to pick up 3 punctures in 2 days though which has prompted me to invest in some kevlar tyres. It's a lot tougher ride but I'm sick of picking thorns out of my tyres.
Bank hol coming up means should be able to get some decent miles in.

If all goes well, i'm gonna do a few laps here on saturday
Nurburgring2.jpg

Then is Rad am Ring. It's a really big event :)
You can do 75 or 150 km or even 24 hours if you're really crazy. Probably I'll do the 75 km (3 laps), but maybe if I'm feeling well the 150 km (6 laps).
Tough circuit, a lap has 500 meters of ascension and the longest climb (Hohe Acht) has the steepest section (17%) at the end. The descent from Flugplatz is lightnig fast, I've read :)

altitude-profile.jpg

gethinceri, well, maybe next year then :) Although you have an MTB, if I'm correct, and the circuit is more suited for a racing bike. Theres an MTB event as well.
It's really a beautiful landscape for cycling.

I'm looking forward to it. Well sort of, because more than 10% climbing is not really my thing, and there seems to be quite a lot of that.

Some pics from last sunday, when I did the Charly Gaul (in Echternach, Luxemburg). I did the short distance, 100 km. Finished in 3 hours 10 minutes, 259th out of 800.

Summit of the 1st climb, in a large group (I'm no. 1761, in the grey tricot).
sportograf-42319055_lowres_zps9f569dbc.jpg

A steep climb halfway:
sportograf-42327328_lowres_zps4a822662.jpg

It looks like I'm attachking, but actually I was dropped from the group I was in. But the guys behind me are getting dropped more (although the first three behind me came back)

Struggling to stay in the wheel
sportograf-42322200_lowres_zps09d5048c.jpg

Last climb:
sportograf-42330513_lowres_zps61bffdd2.jpg

Last edited:
For me wind is a challenge you can't see so you don't get the satisfaction of overcoming it! Then when it is blowing you along you get this horrible false sense of security! :D

Back
Top Bottom