CTA Race of the Year 2013

That reminds me of something I said in a post after the Chinese GP:

"Alonso has obviously analysed the pro's and con's of DRS possibly more or better than the competition. At the weekend he put into practice his conclusions and used the DRS zones in a different way to anyone else. This will not have gone unnoticed by the other drivers. Their problem is that they may not have the tools and some some won't have the skill, to replicate the art. We will either see more of the Alonso pre-emptive overtake into the detection zone (with the DRS being used to pull away from the passed player) but only by those in a car balanced well enough to pull it off."

http://cliptheapex.com/threads/how-many-races-will-sergio-perez-win-in-2013.5621/page-2#post-192659

On the day Hulkenberg had the skill and the tools to do it, it seems.

Despite Vettel running away with it again we actually saw some good action in Korea with some prolonged battles between the likes of Hulkenberg, Grosjean, Hamilton and Alonso as well as a couple of safety cars, a fire and an over eager fire car. All this wasn't enough for Korea to steal the top spot but it ends up in the top few with a score of 7.2. Pretty much everyone also seemed to agree that it was a decent race, although I suspect some of the harder to please voters may have given up on the season!

Update table:
ctaroty.PNG

Suzuka tomorrow then, and we have Webber ahead of Vettel for a change, but for how long?

So, as the end of the season draws near Japan provided us with a race that ranks towards the top of the midfield with 6.8 out of 10. There was a battle for the win, which kept some people happy, whereas others were turned off by "maintain a 2 second gap" type comments and the sneaky split strategy from Red Bull which gave them the win. Decent but not spectacular or especially controversial then.

Updated table:

ctaroty.PNG

India this weekend then, which has been heavily criticised on here over the past couple of weeks so is bound to be a fantastic race.

Last edited:
Vettel inevitably wrapped things up in India and gave us some doughnuts at the end to start the party. The race started with a lot of strategic intrigue with the option tyres only good for a handful of laps but in general the feeling for most people was that any interest just fizzled out. There were a few decent overtakes and some good drives but not enough to stop India from ending up near the bottom with 5.4/10.

ctaroty.PNG

I'm quietly confident we'll have a good race tomorrow in Abu Dhabi. Let's hope so.

I think Silverstone was a great race so not sure why it got voted so low.

I know it had the tyre issues but still had a great ending.

I wonder if people were voting retrospectivly at the end of the year whether the scores would differ.

Hungary was spoilt for me by the best overtake of the season being deemed illegal. I can't remember much else happening in it really. Seems to me it was another lights to flag victory and was much the same as Abu Dhabi.

RasputinLives I think there's a good chance that Silverstone would have ended up at the top if it wasn't for the tyre farce. People were pretty outraged by that after the race and rightly so. You can also see the strong reactions that that race caused by how highly it ranks in the "most disputed race" score.

Hungary was not a lights to flag victory like Abu Dhabi, Hamilton had to pull off a few key overtakes on the likes of Webber to win that race. It also marked the point of the season where the hopes of someone posing a serious threat to Vettel were probably at their highest before that idea got crushed after the summer break.

I think the scores might differ quite a lot if they were done at the end of the season. I think the races near the end of the season that are fresher in memory would be biased to higher/lower scores, for example, and I think the few races at the beginning of the season received a bit of a score boost thanks to the excitement of F1 returning.

Doing it this way gives the most accurate representation of how people really enjoyed the race at the time and how emotions change throughout the season. If you really wanted objective scores you'd need to sit down with every race at the end of the season, watch them all again and compare and contrast etc. I guess. For me a poll like this is all about people's opinions at the time based on their individual preferences and prejudices though.

Last edited:
I do think your way is the best way of doing it I was just pondering really. I still don't get the fuss about Hungary. Have I forgotten these overtakes?

I think the start of the season races have a disadvantage too. If Oz had been an amazing race I still wouldn't have given it a 9 or a 10 because if a better race came along I'd have nowhere to go.

No RasputinLives you didn't forgot the overtakes, there were maybe 5 overtakes during the whole race. Didn't get the fuss about Hungary as well, Germany was more exciting than that, battle for first till the end.

How does the points table compare to last year?

Bushi This is the first year it's been done. I might consider digging through the 2012 polls after the season is over and done with to make a comparison.

I think there was plenty to like in Hungary but we can agree to disagree. Although going back to the poll I see that you gave it 7/10 and RasputinLives 8/10 so I guess it wasn't too bad ;).

I didn't say it was a bad race. I said I didn't think it was the race of the season and other races were equally as good. You'll see I've scored 8 or above on at least half a dozen races.

Same here, don't think that I gave a race an 8 throughout the season. Well, maybe Malaysia....

Huh, seems i didn't vote for Malaysia.

Last edited:
I'd love it if you charted out everyone's individual votes. ;)

You could normalise max and min individually and dial out a lot of factors...

Back
Top Bottom