Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone attempted to qualify for a single World Championship event. He was in a Connaught-Alta, one of a fleet of three entered by himself. He finished qualifying 265.2 seconds off the pace, and his two team-mates failed to qualify as well.

He is, however, the most important single person in Grand Prix history. He took charge of Motor Racing Developments in 1972, from Ron Tauranac. He was the team principal for Nelson Piquet's two drivers' titles, but he'd lost interest by the time Brabham missed the deadline to enter the 1988 World Championship.

Into the governance of the sport he went, and he modernised it, and quickly controlled Formula One. He is now the leader of a billion-dollar industry. He is a divisive figure, but he's not done badly for someone who was four minutes off the pace on a Saturday in Monaco.

I would think that CVC would be mightily concerned with BEs alienating an entire generation of possible F1 fans by his recent pronouncements regarding social media etc. I would think that that should be reason enough to sack the dinosaur.

Truth be known I reckon they thought that the whole German court case would have been the perfect get out clause but knowing a man of Ecclestone's teflon like ability they have to do it the right way.

Does anyone actually get what this bloke is trying to do anymore??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30116227

One minute it's tough luck, we couldn't give two toots if you can't afford to play then tough, the next it's wave the fees and charter a plane.

No wonder none of the teams can figure out a cohesive strategy for dealing with the bloke. I don't think even he knows what he's saying anymore.

:(

No need to be rude.

My point was simply that mr ecclestone has stated that young peoe and f1 are not really matched, as young people cannot afford the products of the sponsors, like rolex watches.

I was suggesting a reason why he may be clamping down on the online media.
Why didn't you say so more succinctly then?

And sorry if you thought me rude. Always hard to follow some trains of thought on the internet.

I wish that the press would stop referring to BE as the "F1 Supremo", since Bernie undoubtedly interprets it as alluding to the Spanish meaning of "the Almighty" which fits nicely with his God complex.

After searching the Thesaurus, I suggest that they begin to refer to him as the F1 big enchilada, and he does, invariably cause heartburn and upset stomachs.

Last edited:
One of the things that annoys be most about Bernies reign is this delusion, repeatedly perpetrated by Martin Brundle, that all the cryptic comments, all the contradictions, all the crazy statements, is somehow part of some super master plan. Like he has a hidden agenda. Several dozen 'games' of smoke and mirrors playing in the background and nobody but Bernie can understand it. But it will ultimately play out exactly as Bernie intended because he is 'The Supremo'.

I call bull shit on all of that. Maybe umpteen years ago there was a least partial truth in that, but now it's clear he has no plan other than getting himself richer and steadily going bat shit crazy. All the whilst F1 takes a head dive toward its grave. At this rate F1 will be dead and burried before Bernie.

Looks like his replacement is getting lined up. The only question is would the Arab states (the ones with the money) be happy with an ex-alcohol promoter being in charge of the sport.

For those unfamiliar with Diageo their brands include Johnny Walker, as seen on McLarens & Smirnoff as seen on Force India.

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/news/1325672/

He may not envisage that but let's not forget he's already lost a court case about who controls F1. He was re-employed off the back of that because they could find nobody better. Let's look at the current situation, the amount of money that's been generated is down, the amount of global viewers is down, the amount of teams is down. He's got little left to stand on. Time to move on. Bye Bye Bernie.

Back
Top Bottom