Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone attempted to qualify for a single World Championship event. He was in a Connaught-Alta, one of a fleet of three entered by himself. He finished qualifying 265.2 seconds off the pace, and his two team-mates failed to qualify as well.

He is, however, the most important single person in Grand Prix history. He took charge of Motor Racing Developments in 1972, from Ron Tauranac. He was the team principal for Nelson Piquet's two drivers' titles, but he'd lost interest by the time Brabham missed the deadline to enter the 1988 World Championship.

Into the governance of the sport he went, and he modernised it, and quickly controlled Formula One. He is now the leader of a billion-dollar industry. He is a divisive figure, but he's not done badly for someone who was four minutes off the pace on a Saturday in Monaco.

exc.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30541894

Of FFS just **** off please, **** off !!! For crying out loud. Walsh and Di Montezemolo have been appointed to the board as well. Oh bugger me sideways, how did that happen? One steps down from challenging ****elstone and the other has been given every conceivable buttering for Ferrari in his time as boss just to ensure they stay on side. Wow, change is coming round the corner not !!!

**** **** **** and **** >:(

The thing that amazes me is that F1 race attendance in down, tv viewership is down, expenses are skyrocketing out of control and teams are foundering, yet here is Bernie, the public fa(r)ce of F1 and , given his recent personal legal problems, it is a face with the appearance of graft and corruption. And the powers either cannot or will not do anything about removing him.

It certainly makes me wonder if he has blackmail-quality information on everyone that matters in the sport. It is also depressing me to the point where I am starting to think that the best thing for the sport would be for the current F1 to die of self-inflicted wounds, so it could start afresh.

"Walsh, the former chief executive of drinks giant Diageo, had been lined up by main shareholder CVC Capital Partners as chairman.

But he withdrew his candidacy for that position on Tuesday following a meeting with Ecclestone last week."

Now I wonder what happened at that meeting, kneecaps at dawn?

I am starting to think that the best thing for the sport would be for the current F1 to die of self-inflicted wounds, so it could start afresh.

Don't fret, as soon as Bernie turns his toes up (as he ain't gunna retire) the teams will rip the sport apart and F1 will probably cease to exist.

Back
Top Bottom