BBC F1 2012

If your worried about seeing the highlights so late on the BBC Sky have a full re-run of Oz starting at 9:30...

ROFL

I don't know about anyone else, but I found qualifying almost impossible to watch on the BBC - since they were running their commentary "As live" - but then cut bits out - meaning that they were referring to things that hadn't been mentioned on the air! Hopeless hopeless editing. There was plenty of time to just show ALL of the quali sessions, so that it actually made sense!

I thought the commentary itself was good, but I agree with The Artist that the highlights package needs to be polished - or show all of it. I thought Gary Anderson was a good addition to the team. Overall, the coverage was good, but could be refined further.

Am I right when thinking they're still sending out an entire team (presenters, commentators, production etc.) to every race?
If so, how did they ever bring their costs down?

If so, how did they ever bring their costs down?
A very good question which I posed a long time ago when it became clear that only actual air time was being cut and not much else.

I expect Sky have offset the cost of broadcasting the races by sharing the bill from Bernie.

Still, it would be interesting to see exactly what the saving is compared to last year.

In terms of the broadcasting rights (the 'Bernie fee'), the BBC were paying in the region of £50m per year. Under the new deal that's believed to have dropped to around £20m, with Sky paying £45m.

I have no idea what the costs are in terms of sending their own crews to all the races, but I can only imagine its considerably smaller.

I think their highlight package is better than Sky's live coverage, apart from the parts cut, but they did get rid of the Safety car which was smart! Ben Edwards works supremely with DC, I expected much worse and I can't wait for China when they're finally live!

Back
Top Bottom