BBC F1 2012

I found the BBC coverage okay but not fantastic.
The commentry team were better than I expected but I got slightly irritated with the lack of flow to the programmes, especially in quali when they were talking about a red flag which hadn't been shown. Hopefully the continuity will improve.
I miss seeing the gridwalk, the full podium ceremony (yep missing out the national anthem wasn't very patriotic) and the post-race interviews.
I'd much rather them cut the waffle at the beginning and show more actual on track stuff - I didn't even know Heikki had overtaken under SC so was mildly surprised at a penalty for him.
BTW I've still not had a response from the BBC regarding the Canadian GP timing despite them now publishing it :rolleyes:

]I'd much rather them cut the waffle at the beginning and show more actual on track stuff - I didn't even know Heikki had overtaken under SC so was mildly surprised at a penalty for him.

That wasn't on live television either so can't really blame the BBC for that one :p

The only differentiation between the channels' race coverage if the commentators as the pictures come from FOM. Having watched both the race live on Sky and the highlights on BBC, it struck me how much better Crofty did than his counterpart. Between Coulthard and Brundle there was little to choose - DC did a good job and I enjoyed Anderson but Ted was also good.

Jake won the battle of the presenters hands down for me, EJ is more fun than Hill and the post race interview that Button gave Jake, EJ and DC was top class and was a lot to do with Button's relationship with these three.

At this stage, I would call it a draw although I will definitely watch the first head-to-head on Sky (build up on BBC). Now, if the BBC can find a better commentator...? Surely that can't be beyond the biggest broadcaster in the world?

The viewing figures for the highlights program were 3.2 million, 100 thousand more than the live program last year.

However, no data was given for the repeat program shown last year, which I suspect a lot of people would watch as they don't want to get up at 6am.

I can't comment on the coverage as I didn't watch any of it.

Would any other interviewer apart from Eddie Jordan tell Stefano Domenicalli that their qualifying wasn't good enough? Absolutely fantastic!

Viewing figures for the Australian Grand Prix show Sky with an average of 874,000 watching the race live and peaking at 1.02m in the five minutes when Button crossed the finish line. Pre-race coverage, from 4.30-6.00am, drew an average audience of 267,000 and post-race coverage from 4.30-9.00am averaged 526,000.

The BBC highlights program from 2.00-4.00pm for the Australian GP had an average of 2.73m with a peak of 3.28m in the 5 minutes at Button's victory. Compared to the 2011 Australian GP when the BBC had the race live, the 2012 highlights program pulled in a peak audience of 100,000 more viewers.

Comparing BBC live coverage in 2011 for the Australian GP to Sky live coverage in 2012 we get a peak of 3.28m for BBC compared to a peak of 1.02m for Sky.

At this stage, I would call it a draw although I will definitely watch the first head-to-head on Sky (build up on BBC). Now, if the BBC can find a better commentator...? Surely that can't be beyond the biggest broadcaster in the world?
I like Ben Edwards and I may be alone there, but I thought he was great! Crofty is slightly better though, he was unbeatable, but they both get a lot of excitement, maybe equal off the start? Both went for Lights Out though!

And the BBC absolutely obliterated Sky in the ratings! Sit back down sky! I can't wait to see who wins in china!

Understandable considering one is free and one is paid.

It's silly to even compare them.
Well viewing figures might not be worth comparing but coverage is, and I saw both and BBC was better! You stated earlier you didn't see the BBC one but there was more entertainment there, sky's too dull and serious, they don't seem like they're allowed to smile...

I like Ben Edwards and I may be alone there...

No, you are not alone in that opinion. I like Ben Edwards' commentary as well.

I was pleasantly surprised by the BBC coverage. After all my doom and gloom, thinking I wasn't going to watch F1 at all, bite my nose off to spite their face type scenario, I was happy with the race highlights. The qualifying perhaps could be better, but it done it's job and showed me what happened. But the race show was good. The pre-race fluff wasn't very long and the length of the race coverage was excellent.

The only down side was that I had to wait until 2.00 o'clock to watch it: narrow escapes in my old man's car; switching off the radio when the news came on, and having to avoid all TV/radio/internet was a pain, but... :dunno:

Back
Top Bottom