Bahrain GP Debate

Well done Bernie, Well Done FIA, another right royal cock up.

It doesn't matter if,a week after when the GP should of happened, Gov left everyone became hippies and all lived happily ever, it should never of been considered being put on the calander. This is just farsical. but then F1 like to show it does farsical well doesn't it.

Bernie looks like he's jumping on the bandwagon, and covering all bases, at the same time.

If the revolt against Bahrain succeeds then the season ends with Brazil.
If not, we get the missing race fitted back in at the end.

Logistically Bahrain fitted well between Singapore/Japan/Korea and Abu Dhabi, but then Brazil to India is messy.
The other alternative (India/Abu Dhabi then Brazil/Bahrain) is equally bad, but there look to be good chances it won't happen.

Maybe Bernie is setting the scene for a cancellation of Bahrain due to it not fitting with his new all-green, tree-hugging policy agenda. LOL

The idea of putting the Bahrain GP provisionally at the end of the season for exactly that reason, i.e. it being easier to cancel and not affecting any existing races, was always the most sensible solution and I couldn't believe they didn't go down that route in the first place. Talk about beer making establishments, drunken parties and organisational skills.:givemestrength:

As for Bernie's backtracking, he has almost certainly been taken aback by the scale and force of the reaction against reinstatement of the event, and is trying to find a way of appearing to be on the 'right' side while not losing out on the money. Why am I not surprised?

As for Bernie's backtracking, he has almost certainly been taken aback by the scale and force of the reaction against reinstatement of the event, and is trying to find a way of appearing to be on the 'right' side while not losing out on the money. Why am I not surprised?

Indeed he has.As has FOTA.We had a poster on here who said that us protesting to FOTA and online protests such as avaaz were pointless and would change nothing.Hmm, lets see.
Incidently Whitmarsh is chairing a fans forum in Canada.That will be interesting.
http://www.teamsassociation.org/fota-fans-forum-–-2011-canada-britain-and-italy

It's a similar response from Bernie to that he gave in the wake of "Crashgate" he appeared to both support fully the FIA's decision to ban Symonds and Briatore for life and then came out and said he was against the sentence and had said so at the time.

Sorry Bernie, you can't be all things to all people.

Max Mosley has mentioned article 66 of the Sporting Code which requires unanimous agreement from teams for mid-season calendar changes.

Was Jean Todt not aware of this?

Let us assume that the race gets cancelled. It appears very early on the calendar for next season. What about that race? Will we be looking at the same juggling act then?

That is a long way from now, as is the end of the seasons, things have not gotten worse over there, they may have infact decreased, I don't know, but it seems less violent than before.

I am sure it will be on the calender next year, but again, it is first race on the calender, it should have a * beside it like Turkey does, to me that suggests it will be on the calender next year.

If there is a recognition of the protestors' concerns and mood of reconciliation, things can move forward quite quickly.

I'm not sure that is the case, though. It seems (from what I hear; not necessarily complete or accurate) still to be very much a confrontation.

For once I am going to be a little critical of Bernie who I believe has made F1 what it is today. On this occasion, I believe Bernie is showing his age and seems to be looking both ways on this argument, he was forceful in his backing for rescheduling the race, now he wants to change his mind based on what one of the human rights groups said, if as suggested the report that the FIA based it's decision on was one sided, that would be a gross mistake for their vetting procedures.

Max Mosley is also making noises about the calender, he said the teams has to agree on any such change, this is strange coming out now, that information should have been part of the process before any rescheduling decision was made.

This is rapidly becoming a comedy of errors, I wish they (FIA) could make it's mind up and stop sending mixed signals to the world at large.

Inability to organise a piss up in a brewery springs immediately to mind.

Oh dear... :rolleyes:
The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) has written to the sport's chiefs stating that its members do not want to race in Bahrain on the new October 30 date, AUTOSPORT can reveal, but teams are open to discussing a future slot for the event later in the year.
It is understood that FOTA has made it clear that its members do not want to race in Bahrain on October 30, and instead it requests that the Indian GP be put back to the slot it originally had in the calendar.

Despite its stance on the October 30 date, FOTA has not closed the door totally on a return of the Bahrain GP this year and has said it is willing to discuss a future date - perhaps in December - when the race could be rescheduled.
Why didn't the teams say this during the meeting last week?
There's more to this than meets the eye.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92061

Inability to organise a piss up in a brewery springs immediately to mind.

;)

Talk about beer making establishments, drunken parties and organisational skills.:givemestrength:

As mentioned previously, article 66 (I think) - So if one team objects to a mid season calendar change it can't happen? Oh look Red Bull have just "donated" some wind tunnel time to Virgin (no, not yet they haven't but who knows.....) ;)

At the risk of being flippant... http://sniffpetrol.com/

It really seems as if all parties involved have painted themselves into rather awkward corners, and are desperately trying to figure out how to extricate themselves without either waiting for it to dry or removing their socks.

What staggers me is that the common-sense solution is starting everyone in the face - simply admit it's not tenable this year and cancel the race :crazy:

Has hell just frozen over? I agree with good old Max!
He puts things so much better than I can as to why Bahrain is so different from China, South Africa etc. in this Telegraph article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mo...be-reversed-or-F1-will-live-to-regret-it.html

I liked this and then I remembered that the Bahraini wanted nothing to do with Max after his 'spankgate' debacle and banned him from attending the 2008 GP. Is this Max getting his own back?

From a different spin and excluding the political climate of Bahrain, I will say as a racing fan I am pleased that there is a race, It may still yet prove a crucial race in the season.

Normal:sick:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13673299
Dozens of doctors and nurses who treated injured protesters in Bahrain have appeared in court charged with attempting to topple the monarchy.
The 47 medics appeared in a special military court in Manama.
They have been held since March, when Bahrain declared an emergency law, which was only lifted last week.
Bahrain's mainly Shia protesters have been calling for democratic reforms and more rights for the country's Shia majority in the Sunni-ruled kingdom.

Back
Top Bottom