Bahrain GP Debate

More or less what everyone expected I think.

They have far bigger issues to worry about over there than some pointless (in the bigger scheme of things) motor race.

I expect there will now be a lot of discussion trying to squeeze it back in to the calender later in the year.
The penalties for Bahrain will be severe otherwise I would have thought.

Looks like I'll be updating all the data and content again now then....sigh...

Not much else they could do.The protesters had clearly stated that they would target the GP for demonstrations.
No F1 team could have insisted that their staff travel to Bahrain with an FO warning that only essential travel should be undertaken.
Sensible choice.

More or less what everyone expected I think.

They have far bigger issues to worry about over there than some pointless (in the bigger scheme of things) motor race.

I expect there will now be a lot of discussion trying to squeeze it back in to the calender later in the year.
The penalties for Bahrain will be severe otherwise I would have thought.

Looks like I'll be updating all the data and content again now then....sigh...

Poor Brogan!

It was the sensible thing to do.. hopefully for the people of Bahrain they can bring the protests to a quick, peaceful and successful conclusion.

Also, it does mean that F1 will start where it really should.. with a bang in Melbourne.

I had set myself up for the season starting in a couple of weeks. The run up to melbourne will be agony. Also other reports say it may be rescheduled, is this likely?

Without wanting to be rude - this is the last thing that any protester wanted! Now they have to do it all again in a few months time (if rescheduled).

Boy they really tried hard to put on a race through the streets on New York huh? Or did they?

It was apparently cancelled three years in a row from 83-85, and on two of those occasions Brands Hatch was awarded the European GP in its place. This is purely speculation, and I have no facts whatsoever to back this up, but would the F1 organizers have put this race on the calendar with the knowledge that Brands would be ready and waiting, circumventing the "Two Race in One Country Rule" quite cleverly.

Something else that might lend credence to this conspiracy theory is the fact that if they intended to honor the original 1983 schedule, there would have been 4 races held in the States; Long Beach and Detroit that were indeed held, and the phantom New York and Las Vegas rounds that disappeared into history.

I've always been under the impression the '85 European GP went to Brands as a consolation for the (non-championship) Race of Champions disappearing off the calendar...but that may be one of F1's folk myths. I don't know for sure. Bernie has certainly talked a lot about New York over the years.

No shock really.

To be honest I'm glad in one way because the Oz GP makes for a far more interesting season opener than Borrain.

On a serious note though, that the situation resolves itself peacefully.

Formula One Management will pick up the £24.7m bill for the Bahrain Grand Prix, which had been scheduled to be the season's opener on 13 March but was called off because of civil unrest in the country.

!!!

eek.gif

Bernie has definitely lost his edge.
blink.gif

Good Lord.I have just read that on Autosport.
From this day forth Mr Bernard Charles Ecclstone will be referred to as "benevolent Uncle Bernie"
heart.gif

Where do they slot in a rescheduled Bahrain?

1 Australian GP Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit, Melbourne 27 March
2 Malaysian GP Sepang International Circuit, Kuala Lumpur 10 April
3 Chinese GP Shanghai International Circuit 17 April

4 Turkish GP Istanbul Park 8 May
5 Spanish GP Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona 22 May
6 Monaco GP Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo 29 May

7 Canadian GP Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal 12 June
8 European GP Valencia Street Circuit 26 June
9 British GP Silverstone Circuit 10 July
10 German GP Nürburgring 24 July
11 Hungarian GP Hungaroring, Budapest 31 July

12 Belgian GP Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Spa 28 August