Bahrain GP Debate

I'm not sure they'll pay attention to any e-mails, but as I've posted elsewhere "Saying nothing is doing nothing".

I am getting a press release out soon :p

But I will probably watch it due to the fact that I have to cover it for a webstie...puts me in a bit of a pickle if it goes ahead :s

I hope it doesn't, 19 races is enough, not only is it damaging the Bahraini people and making them less important, it's making the sport look retarded, the dwarf is always known as one so that point is ruled out...the teams don't get their valid holidays and rest, the drivers look bad, I can also see something happening during the grand prix weekend, the teams themselves doing something, or the Bahraini people.

Either way the sport will get damaged

There are may indignant post about the Bahrain Grand Prix, however, the critical and pivitol position that Bahrain holds in the Middle East is overlooked, Western powers are supporters of Bahrain, that's why they said nothing when Saudi troops crossed into Bahrain and ended the protest, to reiterate, Bahrain is a critical component to the US and it's interests in the Middle East.

See below:

Naval Support Activity Bahrain

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Naval Support Activity Bahrain​
17px-WMA_button2b.png
26°12′35″N 50°36′35″E / 26.20972°N 50.60972°E, Bahrain

United States Navy personnel performing morning colors at Naval Support Activity Bahrain in 2005​
Type United States Navy Main Operating Base
Built Refurbished in 1997
In use 1979-Present
Controlled by United States
Garrison U.S. Fifth Fleet
Commanders U.S. Navy Captain John C. Oberst
Naval Support Activity Bahrain (or NSA Bahrain) is a United States Navy base, situated in the Kingdom of Bahrain and is home to U.S. Naval Forces Central Command and United States Fifth Fleet. It is the primary base in the region for the naval and marine activities in support of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF). A former military installation of the Royal Navy, command changed hands to the U.S. government in the early 1970s.

Hm...I was reading article about the teams discussing to boycott Bahrain...a few interesting comments I saw underneath.

Here's one of them:

"If the teams feel Formula One should not be returning to Bahrain this year because of the stigma due to Bahrain's mistreatment of its people, shouldn't they also boycott China... since China does the same to their people. F1 should stay out of the internal affairs of the nations it races in."

This one had a valid point also

"Really people? Really? We need to get over our over-liberalised notions of how everyone should act - look at what our own countries do to innocent people both domestically and abroad. The thing is, we're so over-inflated with self-righteousness that it makes it hard to see the woods from the trees."

For those who keep raising the issue of China it should be remembered that Tiananmen Square was nearly 22 years ago. Yes they still disperse crowds with water cannon, imprison dissidents and occasionally bash protesters with batons. however, killing protesters is now somewhat rare and, yes, they do still employ the death penalty. Chinese society and their government is changing, maybe too slowly for some but they are making a real effort. The murder and mayhem in Bahrain is of a wholly different and more brutal character than was even the case in China in 1989.

As for the second point, Sly, yes indeed "the West" has blood on it's hands and part of moving forward is for change there as well. Our democratically elected governments are supposed to represent their people's. When they do that for real, that's when we'll really make progress as nations and as humankind.

EDIT: Having reviewed various news items and YouTube videos, I see that I have been so pre-occupied with the Middle East since events in Gaza, a couple of years ago, that I have been woefully out of touch with events in Tibet. I hereby retract all statements that I have made defendng the Chinese govt. No deFenderman

"For those who keep raising the issue of China it should be remembered that Tiananmen Square was nearly 22 years ago. Yes they still disperse crowds with water cannon, imprison dissidents and occasionally bash protesters with batons. however, killing protesters is now somewhat rare and, yes, they do still employ the death penalty. Chinese society and their government is changing, maybe too slowly for some but they are making a real effort. The murder and mayhem in Bahrain is of a wholly different and more brutal character than was even the case in China in 1989".

The people of Tibet will totally disagree with your point of view!

Ah here's another interesting one -

"Since the politics and the sport are mixed together, any one can prove the news which broadcast by Aljazeera is true ? , now a days any one dies from any cause, the government will be accused for it, please enough , even Nabeel Rajab so called Human rights activist using his mother lungs cancer disease to blame the tear gas, there was a 2 year old boy, his face was burned by hot cup of tea poured by himself , they use this case in the media as was attacked by tear gas, please allow my comment , as you have allowed stronger comments in your site."

Ah here's another interesting one -

"Since the politics and the sport are mixed together, any one can prove the news which broadcast by Aljazeera is true ? , now a days any one dies from any cause, the government will be accused for it, please enough , even Nabeel Rajab so called Human rights activist using his mother lungs cancer disease to blame the tear gas, there was a 2 year old boy, his face was burned by hot cup of tea poured by himself , they use this case in the media as was attacked by tear gas, please allow my comment , as you have allowed stronger comments in your site."

It's a bit hard denying all the video evidence of the regime attacking protestors. There might be dubious cases, but it's pretty hard to deny that any of it happened.

It's a bit hard denying all the video evidence of the regime attacking protestors. There might be dubious cases, but it's pretty hard to deny that any of it happened.

I never said at all it that nothing happened...I just found it very intriguing :thinking:

It's a difficult subject but I think wherever possible sport should be kept separate from politics. Although it was a very different set of circumstances I would draw comparisons to the christmas truce in the first world war. What I'm trying to get at is perhaps the grand prix in Bahrain will unite the country for a weekend, giving a few days of peace.

This would be the optimistic view, I'm not sure I totally subscribe to it myself but, as the posts by slyboogy and others above also show, the issue is far from clear-cut.

I think the fact that the issue isn't clear cut is a good reason not to go. After all, can we really know what's going on? Can the FIA? They say they've been on a "fact finding" mission, but it was arranged by the Bahraini government, and not likely to lead to a clear and unbiased view.

For those who keep raising the issue of China it should be remembered that Tiananmen Square was nearly 22 years ago. Yes they still disperse crowds with water cannon, imprison dissidents and occasionally bash protesters with batons. however, killing protesters is now somewhat rare and, yes, they do still employ the death penalty. Chinese society and their government is changing, maybe too slowly for some but they are making a real effort. The murder and mayhem in Bahrain is of a wholly different and more brutal character than was even the case in China in 1989.

As for the second point, Sly, yes indeed "the West" has blood on it's hands and part of moving forward is for change there as well. Our democratically elected governments are supposed to represent their people's. When they do that for real, that's when we'll really make progress as nations and as humankind.

EDIT: Having reviewed various news items and YouTube videos, I see that I have been so pre-occupied with the Middle East since events in Gaza, a couple of years ago, that I have been woefully out of touch with events in Tibet. I hereby retract all statements that I have made defendng the Chinese govt. No deFenderman
__________________________________________________________________________________

@Fenderman

You are an honourable person, your retracted statement shows that you are open to an alternate point of view.​

"By agreeing to race there, Formula One becomes complicit in what has happened. It becomes one of the Bahrain government's instruments of repression. The decision to hold the race is a mistake which will not be forgotten and, if not reversed, will eventually cost Formula One dear."

That's my favourite part.

Back
Top Bottom