Bahrain GP Debate

The other consideration is will the BBC and other TV networks send it's staff over to a country that the UK government has said avoid all travel unless essential?

I know they can cover it from TV footage at television centre, but it's a clear message that they don't deem it a suitable destination and helps add pressure to the growing resentment felt across the world.

The teams have no choice but to attend.
They are under legal obligation as per the contract.

That is true, but if all the teams boycott the race I think Bernie Eccle$tone would be ill advised taking legal action as it would cement FOTA and add further weight to a split and new series.

This is going to run and run!

That may be so, but a contract only has value if it can be enforced. I think they would struggle, if the opposition was unanimous, or the teams involved were strong enough (e.g. Ferrari).

McLaren are heavily linked with the Bahraini royal family and can probably be expected to attend.

EDIT: The Enforcer made my point first, apologies.

If push comes to shove and if I were a team boss I would contact my teams insurers, who would no doubt confirm that our million bucks superstar drivers would be uninsurabe for such a race - and say to Bernie "ahem, would you mind paying our rather extreme insurance premium?". adding "it's a bit high as we have had to purchase Lloyds of London for the weekend".8-)

I think the insurance issue is the most likely route to getting this boycotted and I can't for one moment imagine Bernard and CVC would be prepared to meet the costs.

That may be so, but a contract only has value if it can be enforced. I think they would struggle, if the opposition was unanimous, or the teams involved were strong enough (e.g. Ferrari).

I agree. If all 12 teams decided to not turn up for the race, I don't see how it would be feasible for FOM to suddenly penalise them for not turning up, it would be an absolute farce.

I can see both sides of the argument surrounding whether or not F1 should be racing in Bahrain this year. I think there are a lot of questions that I would have ;

- How is the situation there currently, and how has it been in the past 2 months? What are the prospects for the next 6 months? What are the historical trends in this kind of situation?

- Should F1 be happy to be seen in a country that still clearly has some issues over human rights, many of which happened before the protests? Should F1 have even been there in the first place?

- Is it possible to gauge the reaction of not only the Bahraini people but the views of fans outside the situation? The GP is presumably an unaffordable event for many Bahrainis, are they happy that it is going ahead? I really doubt it.

- Should politics and abuses get in the way of these events? If F1 were to boycott Bahrain, why shouldn't they boycott China?

- Is F1 too politicized as it is? Do the sponsorship contracts and vested interests, many who have valuable links to the country (such as McLaren), decide the true fate of the grand prix? It seems almost impossible for F1 to not be involved politically because they have so many wide ranging involvements across the globe.

- How does F1 show that it is doing it for the right intentions? Is it even possible to make people believe you are doing it for the good of the people of Bahrain? I think this will get lost in the sport and the business of taking a race there.

- What good can a GP there do? Will it provide benefits for the people of Bahrain? Or is it just a neat piece of PR for the Bahraini rulers to show the world they are "back to normal"..?

It's an absolutely sorry state of affairs and quite honestly I'm not sure where I stand, because I think the moment you start saying that you cannot race somewhere because of politics, you enter a whole bubble of politicization where every move that is made will be analysed politically and morally. If we say F1 shouldn't go to Bahrain then surely it should neither go to China. However, I do also see the other side where you can argue that F1 is already deeply entrenched in politics, and uses those politics to an advantage (Abu Dhabi), but it's just that there isn't the publicity surrounding any wrongdoings in those countries that people take any notice of.

It's tough, very very tough and I'm really sitting on the fence here.

They might do a "Fittipaldi at Montjuic" and trundle round in practice before leaving. At that stage in the season sponsors looking forward to a trophy may dictate if that happens. My head says this is shouldn't go ahead (human rights ect.), but my heart says "More F1 woooooo"

Weren't Bahrain going to have to pay the hosting fees even without a rescheduling, though?

No... This was discussed in Autosport last week - there were conditions when the moneys wouldn't have to be paid - which included acts of god and of civil unrest. So, given that the race was initially called off because of the civil unrest, then the Bahrainis weren't going to have to pay!

Regarding whether they have to attend, FOTA are going to consult amongst the teams, and if they disagree with going, they will make a stand.... Anyone want to wager any money on HRT winning the race in Bahrain?

If this shambolic display of greed and corruption goes ahead then it could well spell the end for Bernard and FOM.

If the teams are able to come together and strengthen FOTA, then the chance of a new concord agreement could well be over and a rival series could be on the cards.

Having said that, I wouldn't be in favour of a knee jerk reaction as it could open the door for news corp., which IMO would be a catastrophe........Will it be a case of better the devil you know, but let's take that red hot poker off the devil whilst we have the opportunity?

There is going to be fall out from this, whether from the teams, sponsors, media, or the fans/public I think the FIA/FOM/Bernie are going to have a tough couple of weeks to say the least.

I think potentially the sponsors could have a big say because if companies like Vodafone and Santander decide to throw their weight around then the teams are going to be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Red Bull don't sound to happy about it.
Red Bull Racing has acknowledged the FIA World Motor Sport Council’s decision to go ahead with the 2011 Bahrain Grand Prix.
We will go through the correct channels and discuss this decision within the appropriate forum with the other F1 teams and our fellow FOTA members.

Red Bull don't sound to happy about it.
Red Bull Racing has acknowledged the FIA World Motor Sport Council’s decision to go ahead with the 2011 Bahrain Grand Prix.
We will go through the correct channels and discuss this decision within the appropriate forum with the other F1 teams and our fellow FOTA members.
Sounds very legal like, this is a statement that was ready, has been written by their legal team and who are now probably look at the implications of what it all means?

Also looking at it another way, if RBR & Vettel have by the time teams need to commit to the race, already sown up both titles, would this not make it easier for a corporation like RBR to say 'sod this for a game of soldiers'

Back
Top Bottom