Bahrain GP Debate

I would think that the FIA, as the sanctioning body, would have the final say, no matter what BE says.
Looks like Bernie got his way...

The Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile, has granted the Bahrain Motor Federation and the Bahrain International Circuit an extension until June 3rd, date of the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Barcelona.

This decision was taken after consultation with the relevant Bahraini authorities and Formula One Management, the international promoter.
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/f1releases/2011/Pages/f1-bahrain.aspx

I would think that the FIA, as the sanctioning body, would have the final say, no matter what BE says.

Apart from the fact that it's Bernie who pays them. What's that old expression "He who pays the piper calls the tune"?

Unfortunately, racing has never put much stock in human rights, They have frequently welcomed dictators into the fold as long as they (the dictators) brought LOTS of money with them. Witness Hitler providing both Mercedes and Auto Union with bags of gold, and racing never uttering any disapproval.

Well there's a surprise...

The state of emergency in Bahrain is apparently going to be lifted on June 1st.
The final decision on whether the GP is going ahead will be taken on June 3rd.

:rolleyes:

Yes. That's when the destruction of the Shia mosques will be complete and the three mile deep security barricades will have been erected around the track. There is talk that a moat will be created as well to enable US gunboats to patrol the perimeter but I think that might just be a bit ambitious.

Bernie will do anything he can to get the GP on in Bahrain because he doesn't want to miss out on all that shiney gold.

Quick question - has their ever been a Grand Prix held in Decemeber before? I'm sure the season used to finish in October!

Interesting - did they move the season then or was it F1 12 months round the clock?

Back on topic - I really hope we don't get the Bahrain GP this year - i really don't think F1 needs the stigma of it and its not like we're short of races anyway.

Interesting - did they move the season then or was it F1 12 months round the clock?

Well, for 1968, at least, the season started in January, but then the second race was in May - during which time Jim Clark had his fateful race at Hockenheim - so at the 2nd race, Clark was leading the championship,

Back on topic - I really hope we don't get the Bahrain GP this year - i really don't think F1 needs the stigma of it and its not like we're short of races anyway.

I'm not sure - a race towards the end of the season wouldn't be completely out of place. I know that there are huge political reasons against holding it, but as an F1 fan, I would feel slightly uneasy if, say, Vettel won the championship by a handful of points, which could have been caught up if there had been the extra race that everyone expected before the championship began! It's like when a race is stopped early - at the beginning of the race, drivers will have a strategy based on the entire race being run, but if it's stopped early, it may disadvantage some drivers more than others!

Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone is considering moving the inaugural Indian Grand Prix to the end of the season to make room for Bahrain.

The race in the Gulf state was set to open the season but was postponed following civil unrest.

One option is to move India from its 30 October date to 4 December, a week after the current final race in Brazil, and put Bahrain on India's date.

"We are having a look at it. Everything is possible," Ecclestone said.

"I'm not sure at the moment what I'm going to do. Everything's up in the air.

"I haven't decided. We'll see if we have to go to Bahrain."

F1's governing body the FIA is to rule on whether Bahrain should return to the calendar on 3 June.

The Gulf state announced recently that it would lift the martial law that is currently imposed on 1 June.

Authorities insist the situation in the country is returning to normal following the unrest, which was part of the uprisings across the Middle East in the so-called Arab Spring.

At least 30 people have died since Bahrain's Shia majority took to the streets in February in protest.

More than 20 activists are charged with attempting to oust the Sunni monarchy.

Last month, the court sentenced four Shia protesters to death and three others to jail for life for killing two policemen by running them over with cars during the protests.

The authorities in Manama have come under strong criticism from human rights groups for their crackdown on the Shia-led protests, who have been demanding an end to the Sunni monarchy.

The Bahraini authorities deny any human rights abuses.

Link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13478163.stm

Personally i think this is a brilliant idea, especially if the Indian GP organisers run behind in the development of the track/pit lane area and grandstand area's. Plus it gives them extra time aswell to prepare. I'd fully support this move.

What are your views guys?

Any supporter of human rights and free speech should be against the staging of the Bahrain GP unless all restrictions on peaceful demonstrations are lifted, free speech is allowed and those responsible for the deaths of innocent and unarmed protestors are brought to justice.
I have attempted to upload links to youtube clips of protestors being gunned down by the security forces but am unable to do so.
Sickening, unacceptable.
I have been watching F1 since 1976 and have watched every race that I have been able to view live or on television. I will not be watching the Bahrain GP if it is staged this year.

I also ask that broadcasters who use data from this site and intend to broadcast a Bahrain GP are suspended from the site from the start of FP1 until the chequered flag. Any support for this idea?

Too right. BE is totally shameless trying to get this back on the calendar. It's not as if he needs the money. I'm not in a position to do anything of real practical value to help oppressed people anywhere as I've little money and no power. All I have is the power of veto. I will not watch that race and if an opportunity presents itself whereby I can add my voice to an effective protest I will.>:(

Why should we single out Bahrain? What about China? Their human right's record isn't one to write home about! Neither are most of the Arab countries... Why should we single out Bahrain? Is it because they have been seen to have human rights abuses recently, rather than the continuous ones that happen elsewhere in the world?

The major non-political issue with going to Bahrain is the total lack of atmosphere at the track. On TV it appears as if no-one is there and you're the only one at the event. This is meant to be the world's biggest sporting event and when no-one comes to watch its pretty embarrassing (Qatar 2022 World Cup will be the same, if it happens there). Plus the track needs a major reworking of the layout.

Compare to Silverstone or Monza or a World Cup Final at Wembley.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91615 The possible extension of the Formula 1 calendar into December to try and help accommodate the return of the Bahrain Grand Prix has been labelled as a step too far by Mercedes GP boss Ross Brawn.
As AUTOSPORT revealed last week, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is looking at the possibility of moving the Indian GP to December 4 so that the Bahrain GP can be held on October 30.
Although no final decision on that matter has been taken, with the FIA due to make a decision on June 3, Brawn fears the implications on his staff of stretching the season into December.
"I think as a team principal who works and has to look after the group of people we have, you have to remember they have been going since the end of January," explained Brawn.

Back
Top Bottom