Ask The Apex

The concept would work, absolutely, and there are various ways of cooling the charge air, but I'm fairly sure there is a blanket ban (I can't back that up with references to the technical regs!), except of course with the charge coolers/intercoolers necessitated and, specifically provided for, within the current turbo engine regs.

Here's a stats one, prompted by Max Verstappen becoming a one-time winner today:
From Vettel winning at Monza in 2008 until Jenson clocked up his second win at Australia the next season, and for the period of time between Mark Webber's first and second wins (in Germany and Brazil 2009), Formula 1 boasted five one-time winners (Trulli, Button, Kubica, Kovaleinen, Vettel; then Trulli, Kubica, Kovaleinen, Vettel, Webber). Have there ever been any times when F1 has had more one-time winners?

I think after Austria 1977 there was Watson, Nilsson, Brambilla, Mass, Laffite and Jones as one-time winners. So that was 6.
Nilsson quit after 1977, back to 5.
Monaco 1978 was won by Depailler, so then there were 6 again.

And in Canada 1978 Villeneuve won, and made it 7:1st:

But that was very briefly, since Laffite won the next race: Brazil 1979, so then there were 6 again.
Until 2 races later (South Africa) where Villeneuve won his 2nd race and it went back to 5.
Depailler won his 2nd in Spain, back to 4. .
Jabouille won his first in France, Depailler was out of F1 then, otherwise it would have been briefly 5 again, until Jones won his 2nd race in Germany.

Last edited:
I think after Austria 1977 there was Watson, Nilsson, Brambilla, Mass, Laffite and Jones as one-time winners. So that was 6.

And in Canada 1978 Villeneuve won, and made it 7:1st:

But that was very briefly, since Laffite won the next race: Brazil 1979, so then there were 6 again.
Until 2 races later (South Africa) where Villeneuve won his 2nd race and it went back to 5.
Depailler won his 2nd in Spain, back to 4. .
Jabouille won his first in France, Depailler was out of F1 then, otherwise it would have been briefly 5 again, until Jones won his 2nd race in Germany.

What a brilliantly thorough reply - thanks!

Of course, I've just realised the I was wrong about the second part of my post - Vettel's second win came along before Webber's first...

So it was 4 then.

I've been looking at he beginning of the 70s as well, but I don;t think at any time tthen here were more than 4 one-time winners.

And when Jabouille won in France 1978, it was back to 5, because Depailler had already left the group of one-time winners.

So it was 4 then.

I've been looking at he beginning of the 70s as well, but I don;t think at any time tthen here were more than 4 one-time winners.

And when Jabouille won in France 1978, it was back to 5, because Depailler had already left the group of one-time winners.
Trulli - Button - Kubica - Kovaleinen - Vettel stll stands as 5, though.

I'm not convinced that your 7 stands, Wombcat , because the Monza Gorilla wasn't a registered entrant for the end of 1978 or the beginning of the 1979 season...

Trulli - Button - Kubica - Kovaleinen - Vettel stll stands as 5, though.

I'm not convinced that your 7 stands, Wombcat , because the Monza Gorilla wasn't a registered entrant for the end of 1978 or the beginning of the 1979 season...
You're right, he missed the last two races in 1978, and only entered the last three races in 1979, and he drove again in 1980 in Holland and Italy.

So it would be:

After Austria 1977 there was Watson, Nilsson, Brambilla, Mass, Laffite and Jones as one-time winners. So that was 6.
Brambilla didn't enter in tne US, so back to 5.
Canada 1978 Villeneuve won, and made it 6

1979 started with Watson, Mass, Laffite, Villeneuve, Depailler and Jones as one-time winners.
But that was very briefly, since Laffite won the next race: Brazil 1979, so then there were 5 again.
Until 2 races later (South Africa) where Villeneuve won his 2nd race and it went back to 4.
Depailler won his 2nd in Spain, back to 3. .
Jabouille won his first in France, then it was 4 again.
Until Jones won his 2nd race in Germany, down to 3.
Brambilla entered in Italy and it went up to 4.

At the start of 1980 you had Watson, Mass, Jabouille as one-race winners (3).
Arnoux made it 4 in Brazil, but again down to 3 in South Africa.
Then in the next two races Piquet and Pironi joined the group, so it went up to 5 again.
Until Jabouille won his 2nd in Austria and it was down to 4.
Brambilla re-enterd in Holand and Piquet won that one, so during that race it was 5.

So it looks like 6 is the maximum and this was:
AU 1977-JP 1977 (Watson, Nilsson, Brambilla, Mass, Laffite and Jones)
MON 1978-IT 1978 (Watson, Brambilla, Mass, Laffite, Jones and Depailler)
CA 1978-AR 1979 (Watson, Mass, Laffite, Jones, Depailler and Villeneuve) this was only from the finish of Canada, till the finish of Argentina, so only 1 race, but since it was during the winter, it was quite a long stretch LOL

Altough in 1982 Mass rejoined and that year spurred 5 new race winners, who only won once that season: Tambay, Patrese, De Angelis, Rosberg, Alboreto. Since Mass and Pironi were the only one-race winners at the start of the season, and Pironi won his 2nd in Imola and Mass left again before most of those 5 won their races, there were never 6 one-time race winners racing.

Feel free to correct :)

I would hardly think dying was quitting, regarding the case of Nilsson
Indeed. But he didn't leave F1 because he'd died; he left F1 because he had cancer...
Altough in 1982 Mass rejoined and that year spurred 5 new race winners, who only won once that season: Tambay, Patrese, De Angelis, Rosberg, Alboreto. Since Mass and Pironi were the only one-race winners at the start of the season, and Pironi won his 2nd in Imola and Mass left again before most of those 5 won their races, there were never 6 one-time race winners racing.
Interestingly, four of those five chalked up their second wins in 1983, leaving only De Angelis in the club, where he stayed throughout 1984. By the end of 1985, he'd checked out, and Senna and Mansell had both been in and out, and the club was empty until Gerhard Berger's maiden win.

I'll be looking into this one as well, but is there another circuit that has produced 10 different winners out of 10 races in a row, such as Catalunya just has?

In ten years it seems there isn't such a circuit - however Mexico City had different year in 1964-70 (Gurney, Ginther, Surtees, Clark, Hill, Hulme, Ickx) before it was taken off the calendar. After its return, first four races were won by four different drivers (Berger, Mansell, Prost, Senna)

Between 1972 and 1985 the German GP was won by:

Ickx, Stewart, Regazzoni, Reutemann, Hunt, Lauda, Andretti, Jones, Laffite, Piquet, Tambay, Arnoux, Prost and Alboreto. Piquet then cocked things up by winning in '86 and '87.

'72 to '76 was at the Nurburgring Nordschleife. '77 to '84 at Hockenheim. '85 at the Nurburgring Strecke (I'm presuming Strecke is the German for Mickey Mouse?)

Only a semi-serious question here. Do we believe in the ethereal "Racing Gods"?

Obviously it's quite a fanciful notion but every now and again you see a hint that someone, somewhere, is having fun with all of us.

There have always been some drivers / teams who couldn't pick a winner in a two horse race with one horse being a donkey in fancy dress. I don't know about racing gods but I do wonder who some people upset to get the cards they were dealt.

Can anyone explain to me how there has been 4 deaths in F1 over the last 30 years and there has been a massive backlash in the press and with the public that has lead to long term change. Meanwhile, they have been picking up bodies on the Isle of Man TT tracks every year during the same period and no one says a dicky bird. Surely it's time that race safety is either dramatically improved pr consigned to history.

Yep it's insanity. I don't see how they could improve it though, if you come off a bike traveling through streets, trees etc. it's always going to be a huge accident. It amazes me that people don't get seriously injured more often in Moto GP/other track series as well, but there you at least have large run off areas so if you come off you should stop before you hit something (except the ground...)

Back
Top Bottom