Ask The Apex

Unless you want to count non-championship races the most I can find is 3 in different season in June, July, August, September and November.

I wanted to comment on @macZider's thread, but I have insufficient privileges, why, and what does this mean

Last edited:
This is a strange one, but was looking at the Sky Sports stats page and noticed that in 1855 and 1968 Spa was used for both the Belgium GP and the Netherlands(Dutch) GP, but I can't find anything on google to support this. Was this 2 races at the circuit, or was one race co-sponsored to represent both territories? Or is Sky severely mistaken?

A GP in 1855?

It seems Sky is Mistaken. According to Wikipedia both the 1955 and 1968 Dutch GPs were held at Zandvoort

Last edited:
The 1968 Dutch Grand Prix was definitely held at Zandvoort. Here's eventual winner Jackie Stewart leading Graham Hill among the sand dunes:

11334.jpg

So in at least one case, Sky is mistaken. Have you got a link?

A peculiar error on what looks like an otherwise comprehensive list. A little odd to see the Red Bull Ring hosting races before the product had even been invented, but there you go.

Does anybody know what was going on onboard Senna's car during the 1984 Monaco GP that was red-flagged when he was about to take the lead?

A few days ago while watching a (incidentally very interesting) John Barnard interview on one of those Sky replays about the 1984 season I was intrigued by John's commenting that Senna's car wouldn't have lasted much longer but didn't specify and I can't find much about it on the web.

Does anyone know anything about this? I know he'd missed the harbour chicane a few laps earlier and briefly took off on the kerb so maybe some kind of suspension damage, but I can't find anything about it?...

I read such a thing recently. Apparantly he had suspension damage and there was serious doubt if he would have finished if the race had lasted.
Senna’s Toleman had an overheating engine, as well as suspension damage that his mechanics said would have ended his race within a few laps. And with Prost’s problems with his brakes, he was not certain to have finished either.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/22/sports/autoracing/when-ayrton-senna-became-a-star.html

I also think it rather funny that it's always said the red flag costed Prost the title. It may have, but it may have not. There would have still been a lot of laps to go, where a lot of things might have happened. Most likely in my opinion is that Bellof would have won. From that same article:
And yet Bellof’s drive was not only possibly more phenomenal than Senna’s — he had started 20th and finished third — but had the race continued for several more laps, Bellof might easily have won.

Back
Top Bottom