Ask The Apex

Alboreto at the 1986 Austrian GP?...

Fisichella didn' t manage a podium when he replaced Badoer in 2009 did he? Don't think he did anyway...

Come to think of it there were harly hardly ever any italians at all at Ferrari from the mid-60's onwards...

Last edited:
Is there any particular reason why the great majority of tracks used for F1 (and most european-based series) run clockwise? To the point that those that run anti-clockwise are viewed as unusual?

Well, I hunted about and it would appear there is no rational or logical reason for circuits running clockwise or anti-clockwise. Apparently in Roman times chariot races were anti-clockwise, something to do with holding the whip in their left hand and if they went clockwise they would blind spectators.

It's health and safety gone mad I tells yu. Nuffin wrong wiv a good blindin' at the chariot races.

Anyway, all NASCAR oval races are anti- (or counter for our US friends) clockwise so if the car hits the wall the driver is on the other side. Usually about to be it by another car...

Anti-clockwise is more natural, for humans at least. Think running tracks, baseball, ice-skating. Why this is I know not. Is it a right-handed thing? Or brain hemispheres?? And whether that stretches to motorsport circuits or not, again, I don't know. If anyone needs something unanswered, I'm your man.

Maybe it has something to do with the way water runs down a drain, clockwise in one hemisphere and anti clockwise in the other.

:thinking:

Well the bath me and my pals tried it on in Melbourne then must have been one that leaned anti clockwise. Or perfectly level.

Aussie's - they build perfectly level baths!

What are you doing in the Southern hemisphere FB. Has no one told you it's dangerous. :o

I mean it's not even the same season there as it is here.

Back
Top Bottom