Ask The Apex

Of course there was also Wolf in 1977. Won the very first GP they took part in and with a further 2 wins that year Jody Scheckter went on to be Lauda' s biggest rival for the '77 title.

But even they entered F1 having purchased some of Williams' and Hesketh's assets. Is there really such a thing as "new from scratch" in F1?

Wolf was certainly not a "new" (however it is defined) team, though. They bought into F1 by taking a majority stake in Frank Williams team and, bought the ashes of Team Hesketh to boot!

The results they achieved were fabulous nonetheless.

OK so my lovely wife watches The Jump and some guy off that Chelsea show called Mark Francis is on it and during the show they asked him about liking speed and he said "Well my dad was in Formula One ya know"

His Dad is Mario Vandelli (I can google that much) but all I can find is that he is an 'industrialist'. Anyone know his link to F1? It's bugging me.

Having had plenty of time to spare I have identified that he actually said that his father was INTO Formula 1, not IN Formula 1.
He also did not invent the shatterproof ruler.
That was me.

apparently born to Russian aristocrat and Italian industrialist according to one site

Vandelli was born to a Russian princess, Diane Boulting-Casserley Vandelli (millionairess, socialite and Yves Saint-Laurent’s muse in the ’70s and ’80s) and former Italian industrialist, Marzio Vandelli, in Cheyne Walk, Chelsea. The TV favourite went on to study History of Art at UCL and later inherited his mother’s fortune.

Last edited:
Then again, an "F1 driver" who never qualified for a GP (and they were many who didn't) would be not listed in the official F1 archive. Also the majority of Grand Prix back in the fifties were non-championship races and those tend to not be listed in the record books either.
Never heard about that Vandelli guy but just saying that it's actually damn near impossible to categorically confirm or deny that someone in the 50's or 60's was never an "F1 driver". You'd have to look up each non-championship events, who never qualified or anyone who ever practiced. And that's before you even mention the pre-championship era...

Our rulers shattered once our chemistry teacher allowed us access to liquid nitrogen..

------------------------------

Could have been worse. You know what kids are like. They could have attempted to dip something else into the liquid nitrogen, for "for a laff"...

Last edited:
Then again, an "F1 driver" who never qualified for a GP (and they were many who didn't) would be not listed in the official F1 archive. Also the majority of Grand Prix back in the fifties were non-championship races and those tend to not be listed in the record books either.
Never heard about that Vandelli guy but just saying that it's actually damn near impossible to categorically confirm or deny that someone in the 50's or 60's was never an "F1 driver". You'd have to look up each non-championship events, who never qualified or anyone who ever practiced. And that's before you even mention the pre-championship era...
He said "into", not "in" Formula 1.

Engines work best with cool air, would it be possible to use something akin to an air con system to super cool the air before bunging it into the cylinders and would you recover the energy used by the air con system?

Back
Top Bottom