Ask The Apex

I had a quick poke around the Net and couldn't come up with what I am looking for. Maybe some of our spreadsheet / database folks can help me out. I was wondering (over the recent past) which races have featured a Safety Car and on which laps. I know I could sort this out manually and I might have to, but this is the kind of question "Ask the Apex" was created for, right?

KekeTheKing ... I have this ... will post when I get a little break ... and the boss heads out of the office for a meeting ... :wave:

Ignoring the ill-fated 1973 Canadian GP safety car .... though this experience could end up becoming a new rule soon to be introduced where after a safety car is called out a diamond encrusted chocolate wheel is spun by Bernie's bikini clad daughters and whichever drivers number comes up they instantly become the leader of the race for the upcoming restart ... and the SC forms up the grid behind them ...

... so before the restart it was Hamilton, Alonso, Rosberg ... and now it will be Maldonado, Chilton, Bianchi to take us away from our ever safe standing grid re-start ...

I digress ... here is the data ... I have the last lap in Canada as a SC lap ... not sure if it was officially sanctioned as such ... I believe it was a yellow flagged, but obviously the SC didn't deploy to pick up the field ...

SC 1993-1999.JPG
SC 2000-2005.JPG
SC 2006-2009.JPG
SC 2010-2014.JPG

No he didn't he only went back 20 years you have to draw the line somewhere, actually the first use of the safety car was at the 1973 Canadian Grand Prix, the safety car took its place in front of the wrong driver, which placed part of the field incorrectly one lap down. It took several hours after the end of the race to straighten out who the winner actually was.

But I do get your point the safety car was officially introduced in 93 and was used in Brazil and Britain that year..

Last edited:
Max Chilton has dropped out of the Mr. Consistency race but we still have a couple of drivers getting closer to setting records:

Alonso has now finished 26 consecutive races (China 2013 - Silverstone 2014), putting him 4th on the all time list (and ahead of Chilton) and 7 races behind the overall record.

Button has now been classified in 32 consecutive races (India 2012 - Silverstone 2014), putting him 2nd on the all time list and 9 behind the overall record.

I believe Nick Heidfeld still holds the record for the most consecutive classified finishes in F1 with 41. He also holds a number of other F1 records including: most points without a win at 259, most podiums without a win at 13, and he's also second only to Andrea de Cesaris in the league of guys who've started the most F1 races at 183 starts out of 185 entries. Methinks he should also rank quite high in the league table of "Nice blokes in F1 who didn't win in it".

Last edited:
Well since we're on the subject...

What is the record of consecutive non-classified results by a single driver (excluding Grand Prix for which they did not qualify)?

Incubus - Yeah.
He retired from 2 of his 5 podiums taking Monaco 1982 into account.

--------------------------------

Now THAT has to be some kind of a record. Being on the list of retirees in 40% of all podiums scored! Perhaps an apt summing up of his career.

Biggest shame is, he could actually be blindingly fast when he was in the mood.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom