Ask The Apex

He may not be responsible but he certainly appears to be a harbinger of doom at whatever team he turns up at.

This year is looking like a potential record breaker for team one two's.

Does 1988 hold the current record for this with 10no. one two finishes for Prost and Senna or is there another more dominant year ?

I know the record for the most consecutive one-twos is held by Ferrari who managed five in a row in both 1952 and 2002 (McLaren got 4 consecutive one-twos in 1988). Not sure about total number in a season but you're probably right, Ferrari managed 9 in total in 2002.

On a slightly different note, the record for number of podiums in a season is 29 by Ferrari in 2004, followed by Ferrari 2002 and Red Bull 2011 tied on 27.

Last edited:
Here's a tougher one on the same theme:

Which team (or constructor) scored the highest number of one-two-threes, in the long-gone days when teams were allowed to field more than two cars?

teabagyokel, Incubus Indeed it is 8, a chap on STATSF1 made this list on request, although it never made it onto the main site I still have it saved.

1950 British GP - Alfa Romeo
Farina - Fagioli - Parnell

1952 Indianapolis 500 - Kurtis Kraft
Ruttman - Rathman - Hanks

1952 French GP - Ferrari
Ascari - Farina - Taruffi

1952 German GP - Ferrari (4)
Ascari - Farina - Fischer - (Taruffi)

1952 Dutch GP - Ferrari
Ascari - Farina - Villoresi

1953 Swiss GP - Ferrari
Ascari - Farina - Hawthorn

1955 Indianapolis 500 - Kurtis Kraft
Bob Sweikert - Tony Bettenhausen & Paul Russo - Jimmy Davies

1955 British GP - Mercedes-Benz (4)
Moss - Fangio - Kling - (Taruffi)

1957 Argentine GP - Maserati (4)
Fangio - Behra - Menditeguy - (Schell)

1959 German GP - Ferrari
Brooks - Gurney - Hill

1960 Belgian GP - Cooper
Brabham - McLaren - Gendebien

1960 French GP - Cooper
Brabham - Gendebien - McLaren

1960 Italian GP - Ferrari
Hill - Ginther - Mairesse

1961 Belgian GP - Ferrari
Hill - Von Trips - Ginther

1961 British GP - Ferrari
Von Trips - Hill - Ginther

I looked on stats f1 and looked under Engine. They do list Fangio in Argentina in 1955 as a Ferrari 123, I suppose because they got shared drives to 2nd and 3rd.

It's not enough to write an article so I'll stick this here:

Much has been said about Max Chilton's antics having finished every race he's started so far in his career, but after digging around a little bit I realised we actually have a few drivers on quite long ongoing runs of consecutive finishes (technically consecutive classifications) at the moment:

Button - 28 races starting from India 2012
Chilton - 24 races starting from Australia 2013
Alonso - 22 races starting from China 2013
Rosberg - 21 races starting from Bahrain 2013
Hulkenberg - 17 races starting from Silverstone 2013

The all-time record is 41 races by Nick Heidfeld (France 2007 - Italy 2009), or for a current driver 30 races by Raikkonen (Australia 2012 to Hungary 2013). If Button finishes every race this season he will take the record (still a long way to go then, especially with the new regulations).

Last edited:
A question for the Apex ... using their powerful resources ... after watching Seb V slice through the field ...who are the all time top 5 (per the OTdb) in passing execution at Barcelona ...

Recent dominant starts:

2004 - Ferrari won the first 5 races, 12 out of the first 13, or 15 out of 18 overall!
2006 - Renault won 7 out of the first 9 races.
2009 - Brawn won 6 of the first 7 races
2011 - Red Bull won 5 out of the first 6, or 6 out of the first 8 races.
2014 - Mercedes have won the first 5 races and counting.

How long will the Mercedes run continue I wonder, it certainly hasn't shown signs of slowing down yet!

Yeah. I have to admitt I keep hearing the media talk about Chilton equalling Schumies record of 24 races so I think those stats are wrong.

Oh. Well I don't think that counts in the record stakes. I think you have to be still running when the flag drops. Which is prob why Max's run is talked about and JB's isn't.

I think Max is talked about because he has finished every race since he has been in F1 and we want to see how long that continues, having said that he will probably crash out in Monaco now...

Back
Top Bottom