Ask The Apex

Prost won at least one race every year from 1981 to 1990, Nelson Piquet (the good one) won a race every year from 1980 to 1987 and Senna from 1985 to 1993.

Who has the longest gap between race wins? I'm guessing John Watson must be up there with his first win in 1976 and his second in 1981.

The longest gap between drivers championships is 6 seasons and is held by Niki Lauda. Although that stat is skewed slightly by the fact Lauda didn't race in two of those seasons.

Lewis is currently had 5 seasons after his title year so would not break that record of he won the title in 2014. Kimi has had 6 seasons without a title (again he sat 2 of them out) and if miracles happen and he won it in 2014 he would equal Laudas record. Alonso is on his 7th season since his title and would have to break records.

Its stats like that which make you realise how long the shelf life of our current 'front running' F1 drivers has been compared to previous generations.

Johnny Carwash FOM have slowly taken control of all the world feeds over the last ten years, most recently Japan in 2012. I can only guess that as Monaco is so awkward to set up camera's around it is easier for the local TV station to prepare in advance whilst FOM are at the other races.

Johnny Carwash - I suppose the many, many exceptions the Monaco Grand Prix get in comparison to all the other circuits is due to the fact that the Monaco Grand Prix is more important to FOM and Ecclestone than it is that the Grimaldis get Formula One. When it comes down to it, the prevailing opinion is that the series running at Monaco is the prevalent one - if they went to IndyCar then the combination of â…” of the Triple Crown could kill F1 as a presumed pinnacle of motorsports.

In addition, a lot of the selling points for Monaco are that it is different in F1; that it is not just another Singapore or Montreal or Melbourne (for example). So that's why they don't have the silver F1 podium and so on...

Whatever happened to Footwork/Arrows?

I have been set a task by the boss to find out. She used to be in same social circles as a lot of the F1 teams back in the 90's. Any information I can dig up will make me stand out when the next pay review comes around.

They folded in 2002, I think it was due to non-payment of engines. I remember them trundling around in qualifying at Magny-Cours to do the minimum without actually troubling the scores.

Whatever happened to Footwork/Arrows?

I have been set a task by the boss to find out. She used to be in same social circles as a lot of the F1 teams back in the 90's. Any information I can dig up will make me stand out when the next pay review comes around.

The nearest you'll get to footwork arrows is the Caterham team; they've taken over the factory which was the headquarters of footwork/arrows. In the intervening time, it was used by Super Aguri for their headquarters (and their first season was run using an old Arrows chassis).

I was browsing around some F1 records and stuff when I noticed that the Race lap record for Monaco is actually faster than the pole lap record.
  • Race lap record 1;14.439 set by Micheal Schumacher in 2004
  • Pole lap record 1;14.648 set by Sebastian Vettel in 2011
So how can this be and are there any other tracks where the same is true?

I suspect that Schumi was fuelled heavier in Monaco and thus qualified behind a couple of cars. The fastest lap was set in the one race lap that he had clear air.

So I reckon it's a simple case of the best car of 2004 only getting one proper opportunity to show it's true pace.

Also could have to do with track conditions not being optimal during qualifying. I don't see any reason for there to be too great of a difference between a qually lap and a low fuel race lap, especially in that era with very minimal tire degradation.

Here's a good one:

How many races have been won from 1st, 2nd 3rd, etc. all the way down to the lowest starting spot to win (Watson @ Long Beach in 1983). Don't include the Indianapolis 500.

winvsgrid.png

Back
Top Bottom