Grand Prix 2019 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by FB, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Maybe they didn’t think it was urgent to work on the problems because they thought they were faster than Mercedes, who it would appear were sandbagging.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Ruslan

Ruslan Points Scorer

Well, they probably did turn down Vettel's Ferrari so he could finish the race, as it is hard to believe that he was a second slower than Leclerc otherwise. On the other hand, he was faster than Leclerc in qualifying and still 0.704 seconds slower than Hamilton and I gather Leclerc was at least a half second slower that Bottas (I have not checked the times....so...). So the explanation is probably valid and does explain why Vettel was slower than Leclerc. It does not really explain why Ferrari was slower than Mercedes.

The suspension travel issue is interesting. Does that mean that Ferrari will not be a factor on half the tracks this season? Do we need to put together a list of bumpy tracks, not so bumpy tracks and smooth tracks? It does sound like they have multiple engineering problems here. We shall see how they look in Bahrain, but probably not fixable in 2 or 3 races.

4. Ruslan

Ruslan Points Scorer

Well, I watched qualifying and the Ferrari's looked fine. In fact too good. Even the commentators noted how solid they looked. I did not see any problems. I did not see understeer. On the other hand, the Mercedes looked edgy, but were clearly (much) faster.

5. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    From a for the hell of point of view I think we should try and put together a list of bumpy tracks.

I'll start:

Azerbaijan
    Monaco
    Singapore
    Canada

Ruslan likes this.
  6. the tarmac in Barcelona is famous for being super smooth so one issue is gone. regarding managing their temperatures they might have got it right in Barcelona and wrong in Melbourne, please also condier that they had a very clear idea of what to expect in Barcelona (and I assume that they could have opened something had the need arisen).

the point is that I was looking at other web sites and it looks as if all Ferrari powered cars last Sunday had relatively slow top speeds, maybe Ferrari's PU is not as good as Mercedes or Honda

Ruslan likes this.
  7. I guess that they could work on some sort of fix for the suspension travel, however if you design a very extreme car then it's difficult to make a few tweaks and presto you have an uncomplicated bit of machinery, so in a sense I guess that they might struggle in other tracks too, maybe not as badly as last Sunday but it doesn't look great on that front.

The issue with the temperatures is probably a one off, it happens, it shouldn't but we're all human and we all make mistakes, what is more worrying is the fact that it looks as if they could have come up with a very agrressive design for their front section to compensate for a weak PU. They certainly can improve their PU but it's not that easy.

I guess that in Bahrain it will be better, apparently Vettel was very impressed with the car's turn in when the conditions were good so I guess that there will be some races were he will shine. Having said that, from what we have seen so far that Ferrari doesn't look like a champiosnhip winning car, I'm sure that they will win some races. It remains to be seen if they can rectify their problems and turn in into a championship contender

Ruslan likes this.
  8. BradMan

BradMan Rookie

Melbourne an exception insists Binotto - Pitpass.com

Well, I bloody hope so!!!

Sorry guys, I feel the need to vent!!!

9. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    I'm not surprised BradMan - even as a neutral Ferrari's peformance is frustrating. It baffles me how the lead driver can ask "how are we so slow?" and the team say "we don't know". If they don't know what chance have the rest of us got?

F1Brits_90 and BradMan like this.
  10. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Was not Albert Park a low grip circuit given its lack of use and neither is it aero reliant which is what Barca tends to show cars with great downforce. Also were not temperatures a bit cooler in Barca

Not sure how Ferrari can get it that wrong in that they admitted that they could not find the balance since first practice. If it is a sensitive car with very small operating window then it might struggle

All in all its a shock to them and everyone that they were soundly thrashed and got beaten by Red Bull as well. How long is it before finger pointing starts at Maranello?

11. Radical F1

Radical F1 Test Driver

I know how you feel, same here

BradMan likes this.
  12. Angel

Angel Pole Sitter Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Me too BradMan!!

Radical F1 likes this.
  13. BradMan

BradMan Rookie

It has already started

14. Ruslan

Ruslan Points Scorer

Yes, I agree. Now over the next couple of races we shall see what the real situation is.

So they dumped Arrivabene, I gather in part at Binotto's request. So, if the car is worse than last year....what is next at the Scuderia?

15. Angel

Featured Threads:

Sorry to be thick here Publius Cornelius Scipio but is that PU issue something that they would only pick up amongst other traffic, or is it something they should have realised anyway? In testing they don't run close to other cars as such do they, so that could have hidden the issue perhaps?

16. Ruslan

Ruslan Points Scorer

Rosberg comments: Bottas can be world champion in 2019 says Rosberg

Highlights:
    1. Rosberg noted that...race director Michael Masi started the race after a shorter than usual pause after the five lights came on.
    2. "Valtteri--as I always did--practiced all weekend with his clutch: once, twice, three times, hundred of times. And Lewis, not once, or maybe five times maximum."

17. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    its no surprise because Ferrari have or getting a reputation of chokers which is worst considering that Ferrari team boss is equal in media scrunity to the england football manager, this last decade silly errors from either team or driver or both have cost them in 08 10 17 & 18. you don't want that because rivals & people within Ferrari will get to crucial part & just expect things to go wrong. without comparing to football again Tottenham Hotspur have that where every time they get to a title decider or semi final/final they crumble. which breeds mistakes

although this might come back to haunt me in december but wouldn't be the 1st one :D

18. Angel

Featured Threads:
    Don't mention Spurs F1Brits_90, it's too painful :(

19. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    That's what the horse said.

Angel and gethinceri like this.
  20. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    :D

i didnt mention the only semi final under pochettino spurs won. because it was against my lot. even if they did their best to chuck it away ;)

21. Angel

Featured Threads:
    I don't really follow football much anymore to be honest but Spurs is a family thing, my Dad's uncle used to be their groundskeeper a lot of years ago. In my house you wouldn't dare support anyone else.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice