Grand Prix 2018 Italian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by Titch, Aug 25, 2018.

1. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    also hobnobs are the best in wet

Angel likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    but this is Singapore all over again. he has no concept of a championship. if this was Verstappen he would be getting slaughtered by media. because whats 3rd instead of 2nd on lap 1. he risked everything for 1 place & lost 18. same in Singapore he needlessly risked everything v non rival instead of taking 10/12pts out of lewis taking battle to abu dhabi. he lost 25 losing it in mexico

4. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Did you know that after last year's Singapore Grand Prix that Lewis Hamilton said he would have done the exact same thing as Vettel off the start? In fact he does on most of his pole starts. It's the squeeze they all do it. Kimi did it on Sunday. The difference on that occasion, and it has happened many times before, is that Verstappen was alongside Kimi and unsighted by Vettel. 99 times out of 100 he would have taken the line and the lead. It is actually quite obvious when you look at it. It doesn't really fit the narrative people are looking for with Vettel though so it's talked about like it was some huge error.

gethinceri likes this.
  5. overtaking Hamilton is easier said than done, and as I said earlier yesterday Hamilton had nothing to lose, if they both went out he would still be ahead in the standings with fewer points available to the end of the season, IMHO Vettel was right in trying to be ahead of Hamilton, the point is that with these kerbs I don't recall 2 cars taking the Roggia side by side without banging wheels, what Vettel could have done differently was being more aggressive in his defence under braking or before they turned in, once he allowed Hamilton to turn in Vettel had 2 options, either he spun or he would crash into Hamilton

F1Brits_90 likes this.
  6. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    RasputinLives there was no need for vettel to go 3/4 to the left espically when you want to be in middle or the right for the turn, & he needs to look in his mirrors just because it usually safe doesn't mean its always safe. he should've let max go

7. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    He didn't know Max was there. He couldn't see him. He was covering Kimi off.

8. P1

P1 Points Scorer

Featured Threads:
    I don't know why everyone was expecting Kimi to pull over for Vettel and acting as if Ferrari failed to give team orders. There is a sense it is too early for team orders. Mercedes has also not given team orders, and the same issue could have arisen if the Mercedes were in that position. Granted Mercedes did USE Bottas to help Hamilton later in the race, but that strategy was after Bottas was out of contention for a win, and it did help Bottas for the podium because it created a tire disparity that would enable him to attack Max. It was a win-win.

Here is an extract from a recent Autosport interview with Wolff last Thursday.

Also quoting Vettel on Saturday

Neither team issued team orders. Vettel needed to drive for the win, he was less cautious than he should have been, and fell out of contention.

Final quote from Nico Rosberg.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Johnny Carwash and rufus_mcdufus like this.
  9. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

Question: How many mistakes has Vettel made this season (I heard the commentators discussing 4 or 5) versus how many mistakes has Hamilton made this season?

10. olegg

olegg Race Winner

It's too early to say for sure about anyone's championship this season.
    There is still 7 races left and anything can happen.
    And I think the Hamilton avoids such issues, because it already knows
    that it is associated with excessive psychological pressure

11. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Publius Cornelius Scipio The driver management and pit wall strategy at Ferrari has been poor this season. There are some inexperienced engineers in the Ferrari pitlane not use to this pressure and the spaghetti culture of Ferrari kicking in.

Lets face it is not only this race Vettel should be a country mile ahead in the championship. He maybe the No 1 in the team but it does not seem like the team on the pitwall seems to be managing him like a No 1. Every mistake and missed opportunity he has is simply magnifying his problems

Vettel - is lacking the coolness of a Prost or a Schumacher in the pressure situations in getting the team together. Vettel is paying for his own calls to have Raikkonen has No 2 because he did not want an internal threat but it is hurting him in that Raikkonen is not taking points away from Hamilton

12. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Rosberg whilst he is praising Hamilton who deserves the credit because it was a race he should not have won yesterday at the same time is very damning in his verdict of Vettel.

To be fair Vettel has not got many excuses ... the only one he could have which he would not dare say in public is the team is not backing him enough

13. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Rosberg has never forgiven Vettel for embarrassing him in the press conference that time when Seb called him out on the 'we really want Ferrari up at the front racing us' PR bullshit.

14. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    RasputinLives I am trying to remember which race that was

15. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    I thinking easier & its shows that overall is probally 1 of the worst decades for F1 entertainment. But correct if wrong as really only know 90, 00 & this decade. But considering 2012 & 2018 have been interesting in both gps & title race. 2010 was a good title race but terrible races. Rest were domination

16. Clay

Clay Test Driver

Bottas helped him win without Bottas and Mercedes' strategy of doing the opposite of Ferrari he wouldn't of managed to take the victory.

17. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    I think it was first or second race of 2016. Merc were a country mile ahead of everyone anyway and were doing the whole 'I wish Ferrari were closer for the show' crap they do. Rosberg said it and Vettel asked if that was the case could he come to the teams technical briefing. Nico was not happy.

18. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    RasputinLives Vaguely do remember about it

19. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Clay Good point

20. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

Interesting and I think meaningful article on the Ferrari power advantage at Monza: Has Ferrari truly overpowered Mercedes?

The highlight: "Deeper insight into Ferrari's supremacy revealed they are using electric energy for a longer period than their opponents in the early acceleration phase - corner exists."

Anyhow, I am guessing that:
    1. Ferrari will have an advantage at Singapore
    2. And that this may be a difference in performance that Mercedes can quickly engineer to match.

21. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    And finally.

3. It won't make a hill of beans difference to Ferrari or Seb's chances of winning the title because, as has been the case for years now, Ferrari and their drivers, seem to come up with a whole host of ways of chucking the title down the drain.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice