Grand Prix 2018 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

90 years ago, this November, the Bureau International Des Expositions was created by the signing of the convention relating to international exhibitions. Like most organisations, the BIE's home was Paris, France. The role of this organisation was to oversee the calendar, bidding process, selection and organisation of World Exhibitions and ensure that all countries worked together in the best conditions.

The first World Fair was held in Paris in 1844 and one of the best known of these early efforts became known as the Great Exhibition held in London in 1851 and featured the gigantic crystal palace. All these early world fairs featured technological developments and saw many technical wonders shown to the public for the first time.

As the years progressed, and with the formation of the BIE, the purpose of these fairs gradually moved away from technological developments and towards overall cultural themes. Ironically, the first of these was held in New York in 1939 and was titled "Building the world of tomorrow". Of course, over the next 6 years, nations did their very best to demolish the world of tomorrow.

Following the second world war, nation states were too busy rebuilding their shattered infrastructure and attempting to re-establish their economies to worry about holding cultural affairs. That was until Belgium was selected to host their 11th world’s fair. Expo 58. The theme would be "A World View - A New Humanism" and was set to run from July to September 1958.

The most well-known legacy of this event is the Atomium. The giant sculpture displays 9 Iron atoms formed into a cube representing the shape of an iron crystal magnified 165 billion times. The sculpture remains in Heysel Park on the outskirts of Brussels and is still open to the public today. It represented mankind’s faith and hope in scientific development and the nuclear age.

In 1958, Formula One chose its own way of honouring technical development as for the first time a trophy was awarded not just to the world champion driver but the International Cup for F1 Manufacturers was awarded to the most successful manufacturer. Initially, and until the late 70's, only one car, the best finishing, scored points towards the title. Vanwall became the first team to lift the new cup but Mike Hawthorn lifted the drivers title in his works Ferrari. Both cups were heading to Britain for the first time. Vanwall won 6 of the 9 races it entered that season with Moss and Brooks taking 3 wins each but unreliability cost both drivers the title. The Vanwall quite literally either won or broke down. Perhaps it was the involvement of an extremely gifted engineer, brought in to revise the car in 1957 after Vanwall's initial efforts in F1 were dismal failures. The name of that engineer? Colin Chapman.

At the 1958 Belgian GP, Tony Brooks finished first while Hawthorn finished second for Ferrari and Stuart Lewis-Evans brought a third Vanwall home in third place. Moss suffered an engine failure on the first lap. Further down the field, in the second Ferrari, a Belgian called Olivier Gendebien finished 6th in his first ever Belgian GP.

Gendebien had come to the attention of no less than Enzo Ferrari himself through his performance in sports car racing. Ferrari signed him to his team to drive in these events but also allowed him to make the occasional appearance in an F1 car. His best year however, was in 1960 where he took 2 podiums behind the wheel of a Cooper for the privateer Yoeman Credit racing team.

Enzo Ferrari summed Gendebien up as "a gentleman who never forgets that nobless oblidge and, when he is at the wheel, he translates this code of behaviour into an elegant and discerning forcefulness."

Such was this elegant and discerning forcefulness that, while very few would have ever heard of him in F1, his sports car record reads like this, 4 wins in the 24 hours of Le Mans, 3 wins in the 12 hours of Sebring, 2 wins at the 12 hours of Reims, 3 wins in the Targa Florio and 1 at the 1000km Nurbugring. A truly remarkable sports car record that few drivers even today, can match.

So, if anyone asks you in the future to name some famous Belgian racing drivers, among the likes of Gachot and Boutsen, don't forget to tell them about Olivier Gendebien. Gentleman, outstanding driver and Belgian.

Enjoy the race.

Best race in Spa I saw was 1998 when Damon won for Jordan. I was hoping Schumacher make a mess overtaking DC and to my amazement it did happen

I still won;t forget Spa 2010 the reaction of the Mclaren guys and gesturing when Vettel came down the pitlane to serve his penalty for losing control of his car and smashing into Button

Strangely, Phil Hill, even though an F1 world champion, is also very under rated by many.
He is. He won a lot of races....16 MC Sports Car Races, 3 GPs, 6 poles and fastest laps, and one Can-Am race. In an era where over a quarter of the drivers did not survive their career....he was never injured. A quote from Phil Hill of Phil Hill: Yankee Champion, page 210, summarizes perhaps why he is overlooked:

Enzo Ferrari never understood me. I wasn't his type, not super gung-ho enough to suit him. A lot of fine drivers died racing for him and he always favored the man who would take that extra risk in a live-or-die situation. I won a lot of races for him--which is why he kept me around--but I was never his kind of driver. I wasn't willing to die for Enzo Ferrari. I wasn't willing to become one of his sacrifices.

It didn't help that Ferrari were making noises about wanting to retain the 1960 engine capacities while quietly developing an effective 1.5 litre engine to the 1961 rules.

When the other teams realised that they weren't going to win that argument it was quite late in the day for them to catch up with the development lead Ferrari had gained.

That takes nothing away from Hill's performance.

Someone mentioned Phil Hill - I read somewhere a lot of the team fell out with Enzo in 1960's and went off to create their own team to try and beat Ferrari and got a serious trouncing and unfortunately Phil Hill went with him and his career went downwards fast

Someone mentioned Phil Hill - I read somewhere a lot of the team fell out with Enzo in 1960's and went off to create their own team to try and beat Ferrari and got a serious trouncing and unfortunately Phil Hill went with him and his career went downwards fast

Quoting from the book on Phil Hill (seeing how it is at my desk):

Enzo Ferrari's successful '61 team disintegrated at the season's close when chief engineer Carlo Chiti, team manager Romolo Tavoni, and engineer Giotto Bizzarrini all parted company with the Maranello firm. This major shake-up took place as a result of certain demands, financial and otherwise. The Commendatore, always a stubbornly proud man, refused to meet these demands; no compromise could be reached. Richie Ginther left Ferrari to sign with BRM....(page 207)
Of course, with the mass exodus, Ferrari and newly crowned world champion Phil Hill were unable to win a race.

For the 1963 season, Hill signed on to drive for ATS (Aubomobili Turismo e Sport), which he later admitted was "one of the poorest career decisions I ever made, because these cars were far from ready."

Carlo Chiti, Ferrari's former engineer, had designed the new V-8 rear-engine ATS machines, but proper financial backing was not available and the GP cars were never fully developed or perfected.

"Things just kept breaking," Hill recalls bitterly. "In the GP of Belgium it was the gearbox. In Holland I lost a rear wheel, and in Mexico I was out when a wishbone joint snapped. In Germany it was a split fuel tank. And at Watkins Glen the oil pump failed. My best for the season was an eleventh in the Grand Prix of Italy. The ATS was a total disaster." (page 210)
He then went to Cooper in 1964, which also was a disaster. He was fired by John Cooper. His teammate was Bruce McLaren. Hill out-qualified McLaren in the first race and then didn't do much for the rest of the season. He then showed up for one Formula One race in 1966 with Gurney's Anglo American Racers, but did not qualify. He quit racing after the 1967 season, his last race being a sport race victory at BOAC 6-Hours (England). He was 40 years old.

Last edited:
The other teams will allow them to race, even Williams, but some will use this as leverage for other things.
Imbroglio, excellent.

If they have to rename the team then they will lose their payments from FOM unless all the teams agree and three have objected.

They let Lotus race at Spa back in 2014 I think when they had bailiffs knocking on their door demanding owed money so but looking at the article what a mess

The parent company has to agree to the sale which is coming from 13 banks associated with VJ - no wonder they were in massive financial woe

The second part where the other teams need consent for them to race or they will not be eligible to 2018 money....I think with $60m or so up for grabs.. I'd very much doubt Mclaren, Williams and Renault want them to race given their concerns presides over the team becoming a Mercedes B team so anything to slow that happening , they will do it

It probably serves loud mouth Lance Stroll who now says its not my fault that Williams are doing badly such an ungrateful :censored:

Interesting news about bottas in last hour from AMUS in Germany. i would give the link but German & a English will be up soon. Interesting that the think bottas & hulkenburg will start from back row from grid penalties

hoping Sky Sports News sources are wrong & Force India (or whatever they go by now) havent let bob fearnley go in all this takeover, as i liked him & talking common sense in f1 is rarity as it is & in F1 team management its all but non existant. bobs 1 of few that talked sense espically about ludicrous unsustainable budgets. That is slowly killing the sport

Dj6Zc-GU0AAFiHT.jpg

Force India have shown up at Spa with no branding on their vehicles, they are currently being known as 'the pink cars' from what I read as no one is sure what to call them now. So clearly a new name is in the offing, but three of the other teams are holding out against them retaining their points and championship money if that happens. Williams, McLaren and Renault are the teams holding out.

Also, could we see Williams and 'the pink team' doing a straight swap of drivers before the end of the year? Stroll wants to get to his new team ASAP and Ocon would probably be a good swap for Williams. Then again, will they let Stroll go and give Kubica a run out? If they do, what happens to Ocon?

This could get really interesting!!

Mercedes have lost out in that Ocon and Russell would have been at Williams and Force India but it appears Perez ' sponsors have more clout in the new Force India team

Hardly the most inspirational name and a bit of a mouthful for the commentators and you can't shorten it to RPFI- Mercedes. Who came up with such a stupid name ?:facepalm:

That is a mouthful of a name, on Twitter Martin Brundle was complaining about it and asking for suggestions of what to call them. I also read somewhere that they're going to be called that 'for the rest of this season' which suggested to me it could change again before next year. Given they've lost all their points and so on anyway that wouldn't make sense, why go through all that if you're going to change it again? Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom