Pre-Season 2018-2019 Winter testing and car launches

What I find peculiar is current work of Mercedes team. If my recollection is serving, they never shy to stand in P1, despite some thinly veiled sandbagging, yet now...what's going on people?

They don't look particularly fast. Apparently they are on high fuel loads, as always in testing. Ferrari seems to have an inherent fast car.

Still way too early to tell of course

id agree that F1 may have lost its way as technologically pinnacle, but going that way the last 20 years as weve gone from £150m budgets, to 300m which has got us in this mess, when you think 150m a season was part of the dominant Ferrari & now thats a similar budget to wililams & force india who cant get near the podium. but there has been a lot of talk about F1 not spending millions on stuff that cant be seen or is illrelevant like £50,000 for steering wheel

Ross brawn has said in the past We're not looking to standardise the car, we think it is very important to continue to have a sport that is competition married to state of the art technologies. We're not looking to dumb the cars down, but I think we can standardise components of it. We are certainly looking for ways to address what some of the teams in particular spend. parts that "don't improve the show and the fans don't recognise the difference", like suspension components.

Tell u what, that Mclaren does look good. They might be able to lead the midfield at the end of season, then they can try and progress further up next year

Its certainly more positive for them

id agree that F1 may have lost its way as technologically pinnacle, but going that way the last 20 years as weve gone from £150m budgets, to 300m which has got us in this mess, when you think 150m a season was part of the dominant Ferrari & now thats a similar budget to wililams & force india who cant get near the podium. but there has been a lot of talk about F1 not spending millions on stuff that cant be seen or is illrelevant like £50,000 for steering wheel

Ross brawn has said in the past We're not looking to standardise the car, we think it is very important to continue to have a sport that is competition married to state of the art technologies. We're not looking to dumb the cars down, but I think we can standardise components of it. We are certainly looking for ways to address what some of the teams in particular spend. parts that "don't improve the show and the fans don't recognise the difference", like suspension components.
RBR with Newey onboard must be happy to hear that, because the only area of development and customization will be soon the aero only.

[marquee]It's only testing[/marquee]

Here's an article from 2008 which shows how high budgets were 11 years ago - Toyota $445m and McLaren $433m for example.
Toyota has biggest F1 budget - $445.6m - 2008 Formula teams budgets

I'd be interested to see what budgets were earlier than that. Found a forum post here from 2003 showing Ferrari supposedly spent around $300m in 2002.
https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47466

What I'm getting as is, as far as I know, team budgets have been mahoosive for 20 years at least.

Young Charles did one lap more than Seb and about the same time, very slightly slower in the test this morning. I am sure he's happy with the car and I am happy to see him going so well too.

These are the amount of laps and times so far today. Stroll last so far, well at least he's used to that ;) Hamilton only 7th, I really don't believe that is significant though.

1. Leclerc 1:18.247 (73 laps)
  2. Magnussen 1:19.6234 (33)
  3. Giovinazzi 1:20.312 (62)
  4. Norris 1:19.489 (53)
  5. Gasly 1:19.814 (69)
  6. Ricciardo 1:19.886 (28)
  7. Hamilton 1:19.928 (74)
  8. Albon 1:20.046 (61)
  9. Stroll 1:20.433 (45)

[marquee]It's only testing[/marquee]

Here's an article from 2008 which shows how high budgets were 11 years ago - Toyota $445m and McLaren $433m for example.
Toyota has biggest F1 budget - $445.6m - 2008 Formula teams budgets

I'd be interested to see what budgets were earlier than that. Found a forum post here from 2003 showing Ferrari supposedly spent around $300m in 2002.
https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47466

What I'm getting as is, as far as I know, team budgets have been mahoosive for 20 years at least.
Good find. Teams who do complain today were also complaining then as well? I didn't hear anyone shouting foul 20 years ago. So, what changed?

Young Charles did one lap more than Seb and about the same time, very slightly slower in the test this morning. I am sure he's happy with the car and I am happy to see him going so well too.

These are the amount of laps and times so far today. Stroll last so far, well at least he's used to that ;) Hamilton only 7th, I really don't believe that is significant though.

1. Leclerc 1:18.247 (73 laps)
  2. Magnussen 1:19.6234 (33)
  3. Giovinazzi 1:20.312 (62)
  4. Norris 1:19.489 (53)
  5. Gasly 1:19.814 (69)
  6. Ricciardo 1:19.886 (28)
  7. Hamilton 1:19.928 (74)
  8. Albon 1:20.046 (61)
  9. Stroll 1:20.433 (45)
He tried to tho...tried on C3 tyres...to beat time Vettel's set on C2's ... got within .3sec.
Still impressive from the youngster

They seem to run similiar programmes

Last edited:
Race track yesterday was green, wasn't it? That is one plausible explanation why times are so close between Seb and Charles. Another explanation could be, the crew had time to set up car better today based on data collected yesterday. Third explanation of Charles being so close to Seb is, that he is very, very good. To see whether he has consistency in race conditions we will need to wait a while.

Last edited:
I admire, but I am not surprised by it, your avatar, Brad. (Looks like radical left forum, at least for now.)
Go Kimi!!!
sorry...I'm not following u...Did u invite radical to this wonderful forum or has he left here?

Last edited:
"Bottas straight down to work
Almost 50 minutes into the afternoon session and Valtteri Bottas has just pitted after racking up 25 laps after taking over from Lewis Hamilton.

The Mercedes drivers have set near-identical 1:19.9 times, suggesting they are both hitting the specific targets set by the team with today's programme."

Back
Top Bottom