Grand Prix 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The first race of the season has just finished and what a race it was. Exciting from start to finish. Nice battles. Three World Champions on the podium. And the good thing is, there is another Grand Prix in just seven days time in Malaysia!

Having won in Melbourne, Kimi Räikkönen will go into the 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix leading the World Driver's Championship. His Lotus car looked as though it was treating the new Pirelli tyres better than any other car/driver-combination, managing to win the race with only two stops. Can they keep this good initial form up?

Red Bulls pace didn't look too frightening in Melbourne. Mark Webbers race was ruined by his (usual) bad start, which apparently was caused by a software issue. Sebastian Vettel finished third. Let's see if they'll be able to fight for the win in Malaysia, where temperatures should be significantly higher than in Australia.

McLaren had a poor race (as expected). Jenson Button just finishing within the points. Sergio Perez' terrible qualifying led to him finishing just outside the points. Jenson sounded pretty pessimistic after the race about short term improvements. So we shouldn't expect a strong performance from them in Malaysia. But one never knows.

Mercedes had a pretty good start to the 2013 F1 season. Even though Nico Rosberg retired in the middle of the race, Lewis Hamilton was able to qualify third and finish fifth, which in his own words was more than expected. He seemed very upbeat about the car's performance, so there is probably more to b e expected from them. Considering McLaren's early form, his switch to Mercedes seems to have worked out.

Ferrari had a very strong race, leading the constructor's championship after Fernando Alonso finished second and Felipe Massa finished fourth. Alonso was strong as usual, but it was Felipe Massa who looked really impressive. After outqualifying his teammate, he was able to keep Alonso behind him for the first part of the race only losing the battle against Alonso due to a poor pit stop strategy. They're in for a pretty strong season.

In the midfield battle it was Force India who looked mightily impressive with Adrain Sutil leading the race twice and finishing seventh after his last stint was compromised by the quickly deterioating super soft tyres. Let's see if they can keep up their good form in Malaysia.
Sauber only started the race with one car as Nico Hülkenberg was unable to start due to a fuel pump problem. Esteban Gutierrez looked rather anonymous during the race. They'll be hoping for a more competetive outing in the next race.
Williams didn't look too strong with Pastor Maldonado calling the car "undriveable" and retiring after beaching his car in turn one. Rookie Valtteri Bottas finished 14th not living up to the high expectations people put on him. Let's see, if they will be able to make short term improvements for the Malaysian Grand Prix.
Toro Rosso looked strong during Free Practice and parts of qualifying but only managed to finish 9th with Jean Eric Vergne. Daniel Riccardo, who told media before the race that he will have to "blow Vergne away" in order to get a shot at the Red Bull seat for 2014, retired from the race.

In the battle of the "new teams" it was Marussia who looked to have the upper hand over Caterham, with Jules Bianchi appearing to be strongest of the four backmarkers.

Can Kimi Räikkönen make it two out of two? Are McLaren going to be as poor as in Malaysia? Will Nico Rosberg come back strongly after his retirement? And most imprortantly: What about the weather?

Discuss!

You've read the fact I wrote to you.
If you have a source saying otherwise, saying that Webber actually turned down his engine prior to the fight, I'd be happy to see it.

These are direct quotes from Webber:

"After the last stop the team told me the race was over and we turned the engine down to go to the end," said Webber.

"It's very, very, very hard for Seb to sit there when we are told to bring the car home safely. I turned the engine down and was reassured twice that we would not use the cars against each other.

You may want to get your own facts right before accusing others.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106337

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21917254

The message that we will never get to hear .... forever buried in the Bernie vault... brought out for him, Herbie Blash, Charlie Whiting and his old salty dogs of mates at their private xmas party ....

Rocky "Seb, confirm, multi 21, hold position"
Seb <static> .... dead air
Rocky "Seb, confirm, multi 21, hold position"
Horner "Seb...there is no "i" in team"
Seb "well there are TWO in I AM SEBSTIAN VETTEL"...
Marko "It's OK Sebastian... daddy's here... don't listen to that mean old Christian"

I haven't read all the multitude of responses to tis GP, and ignoring team order, instructions, strategy, management decisions and pink furry dice...

Wasn't the battle between Seb & Mark fabulous! It's a shame that the only way a team can realistically manage it's season is to "freeze frame" after the last pitstop if it prevents battles like that.

All personal bias and emotion asisde I think the best battles of recent years have been the inter team sessions, with Red Bull and McLaren sticking in the mind as being amazing.

It's times like this you understand where Mr Whiplash Max Mosely was heading with a single type series' although I feel that would be a step too far.

For my two penneth, let the cards fall where they may, I think John Watson has hit the nail on the head with what Sunday really meant, but let's get some of these battles back... maybe earlier in the race.

Let's face it, after Seb passed Mark it could have been gardeners world for all the excitement left.

Personally, I like neither of these drivers particularly much. If push came to shove, I'd probably go with Mark, as I like underdogs and I prefer drivers who speak their mind without muting their responses with PR-speak. If I were Mark, I'd be pissed off in true Aussie fashion. I'd want to sm@ck the shit out of the little trumped up pimple-head in the garage next door. Then I'd regroup. If I were Vettel, I'd give rocks - yes, it looks bad now, but the thoughts of a potential 4th driver's title that most likely governed his personal decision probably takes precedence to the awkwardness now.

The over-riding issue though, the issue that would have caused me to do a Rosberg and obey, is the fallout. Whether Vettel was wrong or right, we now know better than ever that he is ruthless. He is motivated by winning, and he values winning more than being politically correct or positive public image. He also appears willing to make executive decisions that are to his exclusive benefit.

I'm not sure what image I had in my mind of Vettel prior to this incident. Probably a precocious type, a bit entitled, quick. Now I've seen the other side, that side of his personality that does not like losing and how strongly it drives him.

During the heat of the moment Seb decided those extra 7 points were worth taking. I hope he is comfortable with the decision he made. I wouldn't have made it myself.

To be fair to Mercedes, they let them dice it out for a few laps after the last stops but Rosberg couldn't get past as he committed too early that allowed Hamilton to re-pass in the 2nd DRS zone. Brawn obviously thought enough was enough and told them to hold back or else risk at least one DNF. At least that is my view of that particular situation.

I don't even want to get dragged into the Red Bull situation! :)

Why am I not surprised that another member is allowed to lie again, and my comments are held back...
Your comments are still in the moderation queue due to your previous warnings.

If you continue to call other members liars while at the same time refusing to accept facts instead of your preferred version of them then you will find yourself unable to post at all.

Newey and Horner on the pit wall circa laps 43 - 47 :D

gkfjz4-obuuoelfixmehyw2.jpg

Weirdest podium ever.

One guy hates that team orders have been given and the other one is sad that the team order isn't followed. However i don't feel sad for Mark. He's pointing his finger at Vettel for not following team orders, but he on the other hand has ignored team orders in the past.

Maybe take away the points for teams, so the drivers can fight it out. I don't think it's nice what Vettel did, but at least he made the race more interesting.

What a terrible race from Raikkonen.

Yes what a terrible race for Raikkonen, and for Button. And not a great day for F1 all round.
I wish that team orders were still banned, although I know that they used to use them. Still if they got caught the team was punished. Now it's so blatant. And whilst team orders protect the team, they don't improve the F1 spectacle.

It's where the money is though, ask the likes of McLaren if they'd prefer a WDC or a WCC and I know which they'd go for. the WDC might get the publicity, but the money comes with the WCC.

I love the Helmut Marko quotes... :dontmentionit:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/03/24/webber-vettel-protection-team-orders-row/

Team advisor Helmut Marko said the situation “got out of control”: “It was Christian [Horner] who said we have to look after the tyres and stay in position,” he added. “But then I don’t know how… he was immediately behind him and then there was a race and at this stage you can’t talk to race drivers.”

“The team will have a word because we have to control the drivers. It’s not like at Mercedes where it’s clear number one and number two, basically we treat the drivers the same.”

1. Throws Horner under the bus
2. Must have dropped his packet of crisps when Vettel went around Webber ... "what just happened???"
3. Tars both "the drivers" equally
4. Shoots a poison barb over the fence to Mercedes

All in about 80 words... ROFL

Back
Top Bottom