Grand Prix 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The first race of the season has just finished and what a race it was. Exciting from start to finish. Nice battles. Three World Champions on the podium. And the good thing is, there is another Grand Prix in just seven days time in Malaysia!

Having won in Melbourne, Kimi Räikkönen will go into the 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix leading the World Driver's Championship. His Lotus car looked as though it was treating the new Pirelli tyres better than any other car/driver-combination, managing to win the race with only two stops. Can they keep this good initial form up?

Red Bulls pace didn't look too frightening in Melbourne. Mark Webbers race was ruined by his (usual) bad start, which apparently was caused by a software issue. Sebastian Vettel finished third. Let's see if they'll be able to fight for the win in Malaysia, where temperatures should be significantly higher than in Australia.

McLaren had a poor race (as expected). Jenson Button just finishing within the points. Sergio Perez' terrible qualifying led to him finishing just outside the points. Jenson sounded pretty pessimistic after the race about short term improvements. So we shouldn't expect a strong performance from them in Malaysia. But one never knows.

Mercedes had a pretty good start to the 2013 F1 season. Even though Nico Rosberg retired in the middle of the race, Lewis Hamilton was able to qualify third and finish fifth, which in his own words was more than expected. He seemed very upbeat about the car's performance, so there is probably more to b e expected from them. Considering McLaren's early form, his switch to Mercedes seems to have worked out.

Ferrari had a very strong race, leading the constructor's championship after Fernando Alonso finished second and Felipe Massa finished fourth. Alonso was strong as usual, but it was Felipe Massa who looked really impressive. After outqualifying his teammate, he was able to keep Alonso behind him for the first part of the race only losing the battle against Alonso due to a poor pit stop strategy. They're in for a pretty strong season.

In the midfield battle it was Force India who looked mightily impressive with Adrain Sutil leading the race twice and finishing seventh after his last stint was compromised by the quickly deterioating super soft tyres. Let's see if they can keep up their good form in Malaysia.
Sauber only started the race with one car as Nico Hülkenberg was unable to start due to a fuel pump problem. Esteban Gutierrez looked rather anonymous during the race. They'll be hoping for a more competetive outing in the next race.
Williams didn't look too strong with Pastor Maldonado calling the car "undriveable" and retiring after beaching his car in turn one. Rookie Valtteri Bottas finished 14th not living up to the high expectations people put on him. Let's see, if they will be able to make short term improvements for the Malaysian Grand Prix.
Toro Rosso looked strong during Free Practice and parts of qualifying but only managed to finish 9th with Jean Eric Vergne. Daniel Riccardo, who told media before the race that he will have to "blow Vergne away" in order to get a shot at the Red Bull seat for 2014, retired from the race.

In the battle of the "new teams" it was Marussia who looked to have the upper hand over Caterham, with Jules Bianchi appearing to be strongest of the four backmarkers.

Can Kimi Räikkönen make it two out of two? Are McLaren going to be as poor as in Malaysia? Will Nico Rosberg come back strongly after his retirement? And most imprortantly: What about the weather?

Discuss!

The big question in all this is how will Mark and Nico come back from this weekend's events? Do the pair of them brush it aside or do both wallow in self pity and sulk for the rest of the year?

Webber attacks Vettel at Silverstone 2011 disobeying team orders and still couldn't get past.

Vettel does it, gets passed with a great fight with Webber coming back at him and gets slated.

When Webber did it, people said he was in the right to do it, Vettel does it, and it's a whole SHABANG!

Not saying eithers right, but it's a funny old world ain't it? LOL

Webber has been quite public in his refusal to capitulate to team orders. Furthermore, ...

Frustrated Webber ignored team orders

"Frustrated Mark Webber admitted he ignored team orders not to overtake his Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel during the final stages of Sunday's British Grand Prix...."

"Of course I ignored the team because I wanted to try and get a place...."

Mark Webber says he will drive to win Abu Dhabi Grand Prix despite team orders

"...Asked if he expected to have to obey team orders, that might request him to concede his position to title leader Vettel, Webber gave a steely response.

"I will drive flat out," he said...."

Pot, Kettle.
Kettle, Pot.

mfln130t.jpg

I was just as miffed as Weber, as my connection died just before all the action! Probably just as well..must keep blood pressure under control.

To be honest, having heard Seb's earlier demands regarding Weber's slowness (as requested by the team?), countered by Weber's increase in pace for the following lap or two,I was not surprised at the out come. No way would Seb NOT have tried a pass on Weber on the last laps.(I expected the last lap for max effect!)

What does surprise is Weber's lack of expecting it and not being more prepared. Mind I do not expect he was aware of Seb's comments about him, which will probably inflame the situation even more when he finds out.

I amde a post, just a silly thought, about Ross and Schu starting up their own team, and was asking what drivers were spare...erm Weber might just be available! Hehe. (Also someone else is now free and floating, I really can see a team forming up.)ROFL

Red Bull really puzzled me today.
  • Half-way through the race, Vettel was told to back off of Webber, while he was much faster.
  • For two consecutive pit-stops Webber was given the undercut, meaning there was no chance for Vettel to challenge there.
  • When on his last stint, when he got the faster option tires he had been saving, he was told not to challenge Webber and cruise to the finish.
Team-orders and what not are one thing, but when was Vettel given a fair chance to challenge for the lead?

I think drivers generally get a fair chance to go for the lead while they're out on the track you know, umm, racing. Barring explicit team orders, of course :whistle:

mnmracer
  • Vettel wasn't faster. Webber was managing the pace. In fact, when he saw Seb in his mirrors he immediately stretched out half a second from Seb.
  • Lead driver surely should be allowed to maintain their advantage. I'd be livid if my team engineered for me to lose my lead through pitstops. Vettel about to be swallowed up in his first stint before he was first front runner to pit.
  • As agreed prior to race and as would have been the case were positions reversed
Vettel started the race in the lead and couldn't maintain it.

mnmracer..... Vettel was only told to back off later in the race. Yes he was catching him, they were both on different strategies, but he only became a threat to Webber near the end of the race when Webber had already been told to turn his engine down and was told that was how they would finish. This was so similar to the Villeneuve Pironi incident at Imola which led to the tragedy at Zolder. Vettel shamed himself on Sunday in many peoples eyes and for many it will always be a black mark against him regardless of his achievements. Having respect for those who have helped your title bids, including respect for your teammate should be a given.

Could we at least respect each other enough not to say things that are factually false?

- Vettel was told to back off in lap 24, not 'later in the race'.
- Webber only turned his engin down after the fight and overtake.

From lap 24 on, Vettel's preservation of his tires earlier on, meant he was faster. From lap 24 on, he was told not to challenge Webber. So respecting the facts of the race, when was Vettel given a fair chance to challenge for the win?

Back
Top Bottom