Grand Prix 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The first race of the season has just finished and what a race it was. Exciting from start to finish. Nice battles. Three World Champions on the podium. And the good thing is, there is another Grand Prix in just seven days time in Malaysia!

Having won in Melbourne, Kimi Räikkönen will go into the 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix leading the World Driver's Championship. His Lotus car looked as though it was treating the new Pirelli tyres better than any other car/driver-combination, managing to win the race with only two stops. Can they keep this good initial form up?

Red Bulls pace didn't look too frightening in Melbourne. Mark Webbers race was ruined by his (usual) bad start, which apparently was caused by a software issue. Sebastian Vettel finished third. Let's see if they'll be able to fight for the win in Malaysia, where temperatures should be significantly higher than in Australia.

McLaren had a poor race (as expected). Jenson Button just finishing within the points. Sergio Perez' terrible qualifying led to him finishing just outside the points. Jenson sounded pretty pessimistic after the race about short term improvements. So we shouldn't expect a strong performance from them in Malaysia. But one never knows.

Mercedes had a pretty good start to the 2013 F1 season. Even though Nico Rosberg retired in the middle of the race, Lewis Hamilton was able to qualify third and finish fifth, which in his own words was more than expected. He seemed very upbeat about the car's performance, so there is probably more to b e expected from them. Considering McLaren's early form, his switch to Mercedes seems to have worked out.

Ferrari had a very strong race, leading the constructor's championship after Fernando Alonso finished second and Felipe Massa finished fourth. Alonso was strong as usual, but it was Felipe Massa who looked really impressive. After outqualifying his teammate, he was able to keep Alonso behind him for the first part of the race only losing the battle against Alonso due to a poor pit stop strategy. They're in for a pretty strong season.

In the midfield battle it was Force India who looked mightily impressive with Adrain Sutil leading the race twice and finishing seventh after his last stint was compromised by the quickly deterioating super soft tyres. Let's see if they can keep up their good form in Malaysia.
Sauber only started the race with one car as Nico Hülkenberg was unable to start due to a fuel pump problem. Esteban Gutierrez looked rather anonymous during the race. They'll be hoping for a more competetive outing in the next race.
Williams didn't look too strong with Pastor Maldonado calling the car "undriveable" and retiring after beaching his car in turn one. Rookie Valtteri Bottas finished 14th not living up to the high expectations people put on him. Let's see, if they will be able to make short term improvements for the Malaysian Grand Prix.
Toro Rosso looked strong during Free Practice and parts of qualifying but only managed to finish 9th with Jean Eric Vergne. Daniel Riccardo, who told media before the race that he will have to "blow Vergne away" in order to get a shot at the Red Bull seat for 2014, retired from the race.

In the battle of the "new teams" it was Marussia who looked to have the upper hand over Caterham, with Jules Bianchi appearing to be strongest of the four backmarkers.

Can Kimi Räikkönen make it two out of two? Are McLaren going to be as poor as in Malaysia? Will Nico Rosberg come back strongly after his retirement? And most imprortantly: What about the weather?

Discuss!

Today Seb disobeyed a direct team order and went for a ridiculous move down the pitwall putting both cars at risk

I guess people can stop painting him from being different from ALonso or Hamilton

Seb knows he could be in serious hot water with the team

Toto Woolf has just said both Merc cars had to turn down their engines......Nico was not being compremised

Total rubbish..

mjo
Lewis had it written into his contract..no number 1 driver..equality

You've seen and read his contract have you?

Edit

I'm not saying you are talking rubbish F1ang-o I'm saying Toto is talking rubbish and that nobody except the people concerned know what is in Hamilton's contract....

Vettel knew he did wrong... made a 4yr old kids apology ("I sorry, but Daddy... you don't say that to me again") and will sleep well ... maybe not tonight or the next... but probably from Tuesday... after he has shown his face around MK and made nice with some people...

He simply called an early election on who is top dog at RBR ... and who really calls the shots ...

Rosberg ... who Webber played in the same sandbox with at Williams some years ago should head down under and borrow one of Marks' surfboards for the next week and get some pointers on how to deal with being a #2 in all but name only...

Button... I was smiling (if only for the lap or two that McLaren had the lead before their next stop)... but the return of FUMBLES MCTAVISH on the front right... I thought they sent him down to Williams last season... I feel for Webber (being an Australian and a Webber fan)... but I feel triple that for JB ... not sure if he could have held off a Lotus or a charging Massa at the end... but damn it man he deserved a lot better today...

The tale of two races ...Bianchi... a second race rook... Maldo... imploded his way to 2013 being his last season methinks... now to set up the "get Jules to a better seat" internet campaign...

And to finish... lets look at the REAL reason Vettel did what he did and defied team orders....

Anybody ?
Anybody ?

The first ALONSO DNF brain fade since 2008 ? or 2009 ?

Seb knows he only won last years title through some fortiutous luck afforded him when Alonso got tagged out of a few races ... gotta make hay while the best driver in F1 is sitting in the kitty litter at T1... ;)

Just to put today's events in perspective, and the comments of how much a team player Webber is, might I remind what Webber did in Brazil last year, even Christian Horner admitted to it in the interview with BBC.

rufus_mcdufus

well for F1 fans indeed given Seb is supposed to be the Red Bull golden boy he's just made Webber even more angrier and really done his reputation no good

He's just planted a potential dynamite within the Red Bull camp

Back
Top Bottom