Grand Prix 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The first race of the season has just finished and what a race it was. Exciting from start to finish. Nice battles. Three World Champions on the podium. And the good thing is, there is another Grand Prix in just seven days time in Malaysia!

Having won in Melbourne, Kimi Räikkönen will go into the 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix leading the World Driver's Championship. His Lotus car looked as though it was treating the new Pirelli tyres better than any other car/driver-combination, managing to win the race with only two stops. Can they keep this good initial form up?

Red Bulls pace didn't look too frightening in Melbourne. Mark Webbers race was ruined by his (usual) bad start, which apparently was caused by a software issue. Sebastian Vettel finished third. Let's see if they'll be able to fight for the win in Malaysia, where temperatures should be significantly higher than in Australia.

McLaren had a poor race (as expected). Jenson Button just finishing within the points. Sergio Perez' terrible qualifying led to him finishing just outside the points. Jenson sounded pretty pessimistic after the race about short term improvements. So we shouldn't expect a strong performance from them in Malaysia. But one never knows.

Mercedes had a pretty good start to the 2013 F1 season. Even though Nico Rosberg retired in the middle of the race, Lewis Hamilton was able to qualify third and finish fifth, which in his own words was more than expected. He seemed very upbeat about the car's performance, so there is probably more to b e expected from them. Considering McLaren's early form, his switch to Mercedes seems to have worked out.

Ferrari had a very strong race, leading the constructor's championship after Fernando Alonso finished second and Felipe Massa finished fourth. Alonso was strong as usual, but it was Felipe Massa who looked really impressive. After outqualifying his teammate, he was able to keep Alonso behind him for the first part of the race only losing the battle against Alonso due to a poor pit stop strategy. They're in for a pretty strong season.

In the midfield battle it was Force India who looked mightily impressive with Adrain Sutil leading the race twice and finishing seventh after his last stint was compromised by the quickly deterioating super soft tyres. Let's see if they can keep up their good form in Malaysia.
Sauber only started the race with one car as Nico Hülkenberg was unable to start due to a fuel pump problem. Esteban Gutierrez looked rather anonymous during the race. They'll be hoping for a more competetive outing in the next race.
Williams didn't look too strong with Pastor Maldonado calling the car "undriveable" and retiring after beaching his car in turn one. Rookie Valtteri Bottas finished 14th not living up to the high expectations people put on him. Let's see, if they will be able to make short term improvements for the Malaysian Grand Prix.
Toro Rosso looked strong during Free Practice and parts of qualifying but only managed to finish 9th with Jean Eric Vergne. Daniel Riccardo, who told media before the race that he will have to "blow Vergne away" in order to get a shot at the Red Bull seat for 2014, retired from the race.

In the battle of the "new teams" it was Marussia who looked to have the upper hand over Caterham, with Jules Bianchi appearing to be strongest of the four backmarkers.

Can Kimi Räikkönen make it two out of two? Are McLaren going to be as poor as in Malaysia? Will Nico Rosberg come back strongly after his retirement? And most imprortantly: What about the weather?

Discuss!

I think the last two weeks we've got intriguing inter team battles already

Marussia/ Caterham/ Sauber

Not much to add

Toro Rosso

We know that the two are fighting to be promoted but neither have a chance in that car but might be thrown an unexpected lifeline given what happened with the senior team

Force India

Twice Di Resta has been screwed over by his team calls and he must feel the odds are conspiring against him despite being the quicker driver when it mattered

Today was totally unacceptable from the team

Mercedes

Today will no doubt test the friendship between both drivers with Nico trying to save his career and build reputation and supposed No 2 status despite looking just as quick today

Nico handled it well today but expects the same favours returned

Ferrari

Things could get difficult for Alonso - 4 times in a row outqualified by Massa now and did not finish the race. Today Luca saw the first signs of the single mindedness in Vettel who could be future bound

Lotus

They did not shine like last week but Grosjean outraced Raikkonen which only build up Romain's confidence after last week

Red Bull

the supposed close knit family atmosphere has possibly been shattered . The internal warefare could be what ruins Red Bull's season

it will be interesting to see who in Red Bull will try and diffuse the situation

Webber might think it does not matter if I listen to the team or not he gets the same treatment and I don't Seb is going to get money more cherries in future from Webber

Blog Zbod@HammydiRestarules

" Not bad for a No2 driver " Webber's comment after his Silverstone victory to Horner

Ever since both Horner and Marko insists the team operate on equal opportunities accept when it seems it puts Seb in a vulnerable position

Marko openly criticises Webber with a pledge to replace him with Ricciardo or Vergne

and Horner does not have the power or authority to stand up to Marko so his words are hollow

Il_leone

That was a tongue in cheek comment from Mark at the time mate. Today he clearly was angry and upset and you could tell that Horner was disappointed in the behavior of Seb as well. If you want to point the finger at someone then go for Helmut Marko not Horner :ok:.

Yeah but given a choice of protecting the driver who has won you 3 titles in a row and a journeyman where would you go?I'm not saying what Vettel did was right, if he was told to hold station he should have done if that was the agreement. I just hope Webber doesn't do anything stupid in the coming races.

FB

Mark would not do anything stupid

Having been denied Red Bull's first win when Seb rammed into the back of him Japan 2007

Having been driving off the track by Seb when told to save fuel Turkey 2010

Having been not assisted despite being lead driver in championship in Brazil 2010

Having been told to hold station in Silverstone 2011 because Seb is supposed to be quicker when going for the win

Mark has every right to stick two fingers Helmut and Seb now

Bad smell of BS coming from a couple of drivers today ...

Hamilton.. “Rosberg should be here instead of me!” *Sad face* :(. Well why didn’t you let him pass then? The team didn’t want you two racing but they couldn’t have stopped you letting him by if you really wanted to surely.

... just trying to protect themselves and their image.

I think you are way off base here. Watching the behaviour between Lewis and Nico after the race and watching Lewis' body language in the ready room and on the podium I think he genuinely feels bad about the situation. If you watch the moment when Brundle told him about Nico asking to pass there was a definite catch in Lewis' throat before he could answer. Him I believe.

Vettel, though, is a liar's liar. Yet more of his self-serving claptrap spewing from his mouth after the race. "Apologies" made hollow by spoilt brat posturing about having misunderstood the radio calls. If he misunderstood the calls that the team were making I think the FIA should be looking at rescinding his superlicence as the poor simpleton clearly doesn't have the intellect to be safe in this sport.

He was pretty pissed off today though and I have vivid memories of Prost & Senna and the risks Ayrton took to prove he was "faster".

Yeah bet he was pretty choked up being forced to finish on the podium. Poor lad. lol

Edit: I just noticed in your post where you quoted my post you’ve edited out what I said about Vettel making my post look like I only spoke of Hamilton. I didn’t.

HammydiRestarules

I 've been saying on here Helmut Marko is the DARK LORD because he is the one pulling the strings in the background at Red Bull with his own agenda in trying to force Webber out every year

I've been saying since Helmut makes all these noises about Webber then why not just be the team principal himself instead of getting Horner to do it

Horner has no bottle and is just a puppet

Since signing with Red Bull, Mark Webber has averaged 1.83 wins per season with an average WDC result of 6.5, never coming better than third.

Since signing with red Bull, Sebastian Vettel has averaged 6.25 wins per season with an average WDC result of 1.25, never coming worse than second.

There are material reasons some drivers receive preferential treatment, even within their own team. Reinforcing failure has precious little return on investment.

Josh

Firstly stacked up behind Sutil as the team decided both to change at the same from intermediate to dries

Meant he lost at least 20 seconds when the team tried to fix Sutil

Then having passed Sutil and charging up to the points . On his next stop they could not the wheels on or off and he lost a lap at least and the radiator overheated

On top of last week where he was told to hold back despite Sutil going slowly I would not be a happy person if I was DI Resta

Blog Zbod

Might that be more to do with the fact Red Bull funded Vettel's junior career

Your analysis of Webber is flawed against Vettel in the sense that they 've been only teammates since 2009 where Webber's result improves

to 2.25 wins a season and championship 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 6th means his average is 4th

You've included Webber's 2007 and 2008 when the Red Bull did not even look like a race winner

I don't see how that means he got "screwed over" by his team. The stacking would have gone fine if it wasn't for the wheel nut malfunctioning and both drivers had terrible pit stops and had to retire eventually. Seems kind of an odd conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom