Grand Prix 2013 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So we leave the sunny shores of Great Britain behind and after a short cross channel hop and a chance to pick up some low tax cigarettes and alcohol we're off to the Rhineland in Germany and to the Nurburgring. If you fancy popping over, you could use the time to look around the place and have it valued, as it is currently up for sale.

Coming only a week after the British GP, the tyre debacle will still be very fresh in the minds of all who saw or took part in the race. It is extremely unlikely that any significant changes to the tyre construction will have taken place prior to the start of the race so all eyes will be on P1 to see if the lipped curbs of the, soon to be famous, turn 4 at Silverstone were responsible or was there a deeper issue with this year’s brand of boot?

For two of the home drivers at this race there will be a new focus on succeeding. For Vettel it was the rarest of things, a mechanical failure of a Red Bull, that saw his closest championship rivals close down his points total and put more pressure on. For Rosberg it was his second win of the season at Silverstone and with a clearly improving Merc, a chance perhaps to continue the momentum and mount a title challenge.

All of the top 4 teams go into the next round knowing that they have capable cars that can put them in the mix, so driver skill is becoming ever more important. We've seen that Mercedes can now maintain the pace of qualification in race trim but we've also seen that Red Bull and Ferrari have lost none of their speed while Lotus continue to bring home the points with Kimi.

Further back down the field McLaren have already fallen behind Force India in terms of race pace and are almost in danger of being swallowed up by the improving pace of the two Rosso cars as their drivers have found the inspiration to improve on their performances thanks to a departing Webber.

Williams are still struggling for points but as yet there is no danger of the "young" teams, as they are now being called on TV catching them up. As for Caterham and Marussia, well, they'll be at the track.

So, will the Mercs be on top at their second home GP or will the challenge come from one of the others??

Perez a match for Button? jury out on that one. Perez may have pushed his way past on the quicker tyres earlier on but he never really looked like beating Button today.

As for the safety car. Yes it was out for too long that was stupid as for being deployed after it stopped I'd say it was probably called as it was rolling but notification didn't flash up until it stopped. Once again I'll say you just don't know how the marshalls are going to react in a situation like that which would not have been on the scenario list. What if one of them had reacted by trying to run after it? Had to be a safety car.

Why it was out for 6 laps though is silly. Webber was at the back of the pack anyways. Call IT support and get them to add one to his lap count and lets go racing.

Ahh did Perez start on options? If so that explains it.

Just out of interest are the caterham drivers being investigated for ignoring blue flags? Is the rule you have 3 corners to move over?

Also, the safety car would have been sent out before the Marussia had stopped, for all we know it might not have hit the advertising boards, better safe than sorry

Agree with its deployment but it was too long. If there were points for leading races Maylander would be Seb's main rival!

I think they should implement a line lock in the braking system, to act as a handbrake.

I agree that there must be a better way for drivers to unlap themselves, the extra wait is no good for anyone, except that Webber gets his temperatures up to operational quicker than anyone else!!

Anyone else think we should have double file restarts, it seems that every time there's a restart at the moment, there's virtually no change in positions and the leader walzes off into a 1 or 2 second lead, double file restarts would make things more interesting I reckon

His luck isn't great at the moment is it. Maybe he should keep away from black cats and avoid walking under ladders for a while.

Bad luck happens in threes.
1. Tyre
2. Nicole
3. Fuel pump
4. Brake

oh.... so 2 more cock ups to come

This wasn't his first breakup with Nicole. How can you label repeat performances as "bad luck"?

I was quite pleased with the improvement of the performance of the McLarens. Hopefully this is the portent of things to come.
Thought the Bull's really blackened their eyes with the Webber fiasco. Imagine the fans' reaction had it been Seb that they screwed up!!

Red Bull fined €30k for unsafe release. Horner may want to tone it down when it comes to lenient penalties.

Double file running starts would be too chaotic and could potentially cause a big accident. The current format is not great but I'm not sure there's a better way to safely get cars away without having them run into each other.

The pit lane accident, where a camera man was hit by Mark Webber's errant tyre....
The incident has just been reported on BBC News.....the man has suffered a broken shoulder & cracked ribs

Just watched the last 30 laps after an afternoon in the sun at our village fete. Bit tense towards the end for Vettel but not the most surprising of results. Mercedes obviously haven't solved their tyre woe's, Ferrari look quick in the race but need to up their game in qualifying, Lotus are sort of there but there does seem to be a little something missing.

I suppose Red Bull's advantage is that no one team is consistently challenging them.

Am I the only one who thought that the most ludicrous thing about the safety car being out for 6 laps was that Webber was given his lap back for free?

There's been so much righteous indignation about Mercedes testing for Pirelli to help them out when no-one else was interested (and look how much they gained) but nothing about a driver who was at one time a lap behind Chilton, due to his team screwing up and injuring a pit lane cameraman, being allowed not only to unlap himself but to gain back the whole lap by catching the pack up, so that he was back in the race and only 12 seconds behind the leader. He then went on to pass Hulkenberg, Rosberg and Perez to finish 7th. How does that make any sense? He was at the back of the pack behind the safety car, so he wasn't going to be interfering with the leaders at the restart; he surely should just have been made to stay there.

On top of that, the incident happened very early on and yet the stewards saw fit to decide that it would be investigated after the race. And then no grid penalty is given for the next race, just a fine.

Lapped cars are always allowed to unlap themselves under the SC, don't think Webber was given any special treatment. Agree on the incident not being investigated during the race, the same as other unsafe release (can't remember who it was)

Back
Top Bottom