Grand Prix 2013 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So we leave the sunny shores of Great Britain behind and after a short cross channel hop and a chance to pick up some low tax cigarettes and alcohol we're off to the Rhineland in Germany and to the Nurburgring. If you fancy popping over, you could use the time to look around the place and have it valued, as it is currently up for sale.

Coming only a week after the British GP, the tyre debacle will still be very fresh in the minds of all who saw or took part in the race. It is extremely unlikely that any significant changes to the tyre construction will have taken place prior to the start of the race so all eyes will be on P1 to see if the lipped curbs of the, soon to be famous, turn 4 at Silverstone were responsible or was there a deeper issue with this year’s brand of boot?

For two of the home drivers at this race there will be a new focus on succeeding. For Vettel it was the rarest of things, a mechanical failure of a Red Bull, that saw his closest championship rivals close down his points total and put more pressure on. For Rosberg it was his second win of the season at Silverstone and with a clearly improving Merc, a chance perhaps to continue the momentum and mount a title challenge.

All of the top 4 teams go into the next round knowing that they have capable cars that can put them in the mix, so driver skill is becoming ever more important. We've seen that Mercedes can now maintain the pace of qualification in race trim but we've also seen that Red Bull and Ferrari have lost none of their speed while Lotus continue to bring home the points with Kimi.

Further back down the field McLaren have already fallen behind Force India in terms of race pace and are almost in danger of being swallowed up by the improving pace of the two Rosso cars as their drivers have found the inspiration to improve on their performances thanks to a departing Webber.

Williams are still struggling for points but as yet there is no danger of the "young" teams, as they are now being called on TV catching them up. As for Caterham and Marussia, well, they'll be at the track.

So, will the Mercs be on top at their second home GP or will the challenge come from one of the others??

The Ferrari's should be devilishly quick (relative to the others) towards the end of the race, though. If the front runners hold the pack up due to graining on the soft tyre then they my just be in a good position.

unless it rains the Ferrari's are gambling that the other teams tyres will grain more quickly

It might be a smart move if Mercedes ( Hamilton) can hold Red Bull up and not let Vettel disappear or the Lotuses give Red Bull a hard time because the Red Bull's tend to wear the tyres quicker except for Mercs

The joker could be Ricciardo ( Seb might whisper to him i'll be happy if you hold up the Ferrari's for me for the rest of the race)
- no doubt the carrot might be looming large in front of him if he acts as a mobile chicane against Ferrari's

Rosberg - might go on hard tyres and follow the Ferrari's round as I expect him to dispatch Button and Hulkenberg quickly

The minor points between Sauber, Force India and Mclaren no doubt

Where is pole side ? left or right ...last time it was left if I remember the clean side of the track but the first corner designed by Tilke might create a traffic jam

article-2357310-1AB01AFD000005DC-244_634x396.jpg

Are we really still moaning about this, Mercedes were given a punishment to fit the crime and would people prefer it if Red Bull had no competition whatsoever? Mercedes are the only team standing between them and complete domination at the moment.

I believe there are still lingering question marks over their race pace. Lets not forget these new kevlar tyres have a higher temperature operating window and may not fully expose the Mercs' inherent issues with tyres tomorrow.

It'll be interesting to see if the higher temperatures mean that the Ferrari's and the Lotii can properly challenge the Red Bulls and the Mercs, how far Rosberg gets into the points with his free choice of tyres & not-used sets; and whether Hamilton can keep Vettel at bay at the start.

.....Massa was the faster out of the two for most of the weekend,..../

Let me see. Alonso did not set a time in FP1 so was neither faster nor slower than Massa. In FP2 Alonso 6th, Massa 7th. FP3 Alonso 4th fastest Massa 6th.

Ferrari are playing the long game, they knew that they would not be any higher up the grid, well maybe one place, if they went out on the softer tyres. So they do one or two stints on the harder tyres then one short stint on low fuel and new soft tyres. It might work and is well worth a try.

Let me see...

Massa was faster in Q1, Q2 and Q3.

That's 3 out of 5, and when it counted the most, so yeah I was right.

Why I'm even discussing this I don't know, but splitting the strategies would have opened up more options.

Massa being quicker that Alonso in Q1 and Q2 is a red herring. He had to go out for a second run because his first wasn't secure. this meant hat he was running in much faster conditions each time; the track got faster as time went on, ask Rosberg about that.

By the way, Ferrari made their decision on what to do before Q3, so unless they could see into the future that was also a red herring. Sorry.

Alonso being ahead of Massa in FP2 and FP3 wasn't a red herring? As many say "it's practice after all"

It may work for them, but it's a big gamble as they've not only just made one driver go against the grain, it's both.

Massa I think could have got 3rd with Alonso 4th, that would have been one of their most successful qualifying results this season.

In the end, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

I believe it is inevitable that the Merc's pace and the illegal tyre test will be mentioned during a race weekend, you simply cannot discuss one without considering the other it would be like trying to take a shit without having a piss, simply impossible....

If posters are going to be restricted to comment on what they consider to be a quintessential part of any race weekend until the other teams have had a chance to catch up then I will not discuss either the race or Merc's pace on this thread or any race thread until that happens, it is just ridiculous to levy that kind of restriction in an open debate....

If Merc wins today I will assume I will have to keep my big gob shut as to the reasons I believe why, sufficed to say that my opinion will have nothing to do with Lewis Hamilton's brilliance or a storming drive by him...

Ferrari know what Alonso is capable of if they can get him into clear air, which is exactly what they are aiming for when the front runners have to pit early when their softs go off. The key will be whether Alonso can make big gains on the primes. He clearly believes he'll be able to or they wouldn't be trying a different strategy. It will add a lot of interest to the race for sure.

I'll be happy if Hamilton wins, whatever Mercedes did or didn't find out in the Pirelli Barcelona test (which I presume you attended Slyboogy since you know exactly what they tested there ;)).

Lewis has already suffered one major tyre failure that cost him an unfair gearbox change penalty, and hence points, and another which robbed him of a podium and a potential win. Perhaps it's about time things went his way. I suspect, however, that the Red Bulls will be too strong over the course of the race and it looks like the Lotuses might be coming back into play as well. Fingers crossed though.

Back
Top Bottom