Grand Prix 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Someone other than Vettel is leading the Championship!

It may be strange to see, but for the first time since Abu Dhabi 2010 someone other than Sebastian Vettel is top of the Championship after Jenson Button won the Australian Grand Prix in commanding fashion with Vettel second and a folorn Hamilton falling foul of a safety car which allowed the German through.

Going into Malaysia it seems apparent that Mclaren have the strongest car as they were far and away the strongest team in Australia and it was only after having to fuel save for 90% of the race that let Red Bull get within distance, when Button and Hamilton were at full throttle for the first 8 laps, they pulled away at over a second a lap which provided a comfortable cushion even though it was wiped out by a safety car due to Vitaly Petrov breaking down on the main straight.

But the Australian Grand Prix raised more questions than it did provide answers, the only thing that we learned was that the not quite so new teams are still as bad as they were last season and Mclaren and Red Bull are the two fastest teams. Ferrari had a shocking qualifying but Fernando Alonso managed to drag it kicking and screaming into 5th place which suggests a better race pace compared to qualifying pace while beleaguered Felipe Massa trundled around in midfield like he was on a Sunday drive in the Australian parks.

lotus are the only team where a question mark still remains about the general competitiveness. Roman Grosjean qualified a remarkable third but was taken out early on by Maldando while returning champion Kimi Raikkonnen failed to get out of first qualifying but managed to fight through the field to finish a very strong seventh which suggests that they do have a strong car but need to ally qualifying with race pace if they are to take the fight to the top teams.

In 2011 Malaysia was a race full of pit stops due to the high degradation of the Pirelli tyres, and while the tyres this year are more conservative and stable, high degradation is still to be expecting and several pit stops are going to be the norm with an unpredictable weekend to come. The only thing to expect is the likelihood of a massive shower at some point during the weekend which would no doubt spice things up.

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/sepang-international-circuit/

Did Hamilton's "monkeys at the back" comment make it easy for you to hate him too?

;)

I didn't see it. ;) No. Just kidding. I didn't say I disliked Vettel because of the comment. I just said it made it easier to hate him. I already liked Hamilton, so I'm obviously not going to change to disliking him regardless of what he does off track. If I was picking favourites on personality, I'd have Button's picture to the left.

Regardless, 2 wrongs don't make a right, and if Hamilton made a disrespectful comment in the past I'm sure his critics would've been equally disgusted, so Vettel's should get the same treatment.

iirc Hamilton made some fairly similar comments about Massa and Maldo at Monaco. And who amongst us really thinks Karthikeyan either deserves to be in F1 or that he is especially polite when being lapped?

iirc Hamilton made some fairly similar comments about Massa and Maldo at Monaco. And who amongst us really thinks Karthikeyan either deserves to be in F1 or that he is especially polite when being lapped?

Seriously. Why does everything I say come back to Lewis Hamilton. I have his picture as my avatar to show I'm a fan, not to show that I believe everything he does is a message from god. :givemestrength:

I agree, Karthikeyan should not be in F1, but I don't blame him for choosing to be, and such a small error does not deserve this public criticism. If there is genuinely an issue it should be done behind closed doors or by the FIA super-license committee.

Watch the incident again boys and girls. Karthikeyan turns into Vettel just as he is going past. Not the worst "crime" in F1 history but a pretty stupid mistake on his part.

Watch the incident again boys and girls. Karthikeyan turns into Vettel just as he is going past. Not the worst "crime" in F1 history but a pretty stupid mistake on his part.
If you listen to the interview Karthikeyan says that he was out wide on the slippery white line/marbles and had to turn in - no choice or he would crash. He turned some way in but also Vettel cut to close to him, 50/50 I would say but no reason to be quite as condemning as RBR have been.

I agree that the penalty on Narain was harsh and that Vettel's comments were crass. That said, Vettel can't be expected to anticipate a driver cutting back in when he thinks he's been given room regardless of the reasons. Without doubt a racing incident but to say it's 50:50 is harsh on Vettel as Karthikeyan simply turned into him.

Well I certainly have a lot to say and I'm not taking the time to read through everything so forgive me if I repeat anything.

That was a very compelling race. Very impressive for Perez to stay with Nando in the rain, when he clearly had a setup more geared to rain. Both were outstanding for sure.

Senna finally lived up to his last name. Williams has 2 very capable but very incosistent drivers.

Mercedes Really does have terrible race pace. Ahead of only the newish teams in points.

I expect more from Vettel even before his collision with Karthikeyan. Running in P4 isn't bad, unless you're the two time reigning champion. I think Newey is the one who deserves those trophies.

Uh-Oh Spaghettios Felipe! :o Not only will he be out of Ferrari but out of F1 as well. Being compared to Alonso is unfair but Massa got beat by two men silly enough to run into a cucumber!

Hamilton's comments that he made at Monaco, nearly caused near meltdowns on many F1 forums, but Vettel regarding idiots, and saying, " it seems that their is one driving here, " will not in any way, create the same sense of outrage.

I think in any incident, both drivers need to ask themselves, 'what should I have done in that situation?'. Regardless of whether Vettel thinks he should've been there, he could've avoided the incident by leaving more room and he was unfortunate.

I never really liked Christian Horner, now I know why...You can't be more arrogant, can you ("seven seconds off the pace", "he can do that to Jenson anytime")? I don't like his tone neither...

Pressure changes people. It isn't all smiles at Red Bull right now, just as it wasn't all smiles at Mclaren last year.

Was going to post that myself as that's the camera angle I saw which made me think it was Khartikeyans fault at 0.08 you see Khartikeyan cut back in.

Whether it deserved a penalty or Vettel's harsh comments or not, I do not know, but Khartikeyan is really a hazard on track, had a good race today until that incident, there's not a race where he doesn't turn into a mobile chicane, except this one.

As for Vettel's comments, I still need to watch the interview.

If I was racing at the front constantly lapping him, I would have flipped ages ago, it's surprising that others haven't flipped out at him, every other backmarker gets out of the way reasonably well.

Can't really fault him much for this though as he had a moment then had a car ahead, but even then, he should have noticed Vettel.

Pressure changes people. It isn't all smiles at Red Bull right now, just as it wasn't all smiles at Mclaren last year.

But the main difference is the way both teams deal with it, I guess. Red Bull seem pretty disgusting to me at the moment (Vettel, Horner, Marko), except for Mark Webber, who is as cool as ever:)

Back
Top Bottom