Grand Prix 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Someone other than Vettel is leading the Championship!

It may be strange to see, but for the first time since Abu Dhabi 2010 someone other than Sebastian Vettel is top of the Championship after Jenson Button won the Australian Grand Prix in commanding fashion with Vettel second and a folorn Hamilton falling foul of a safety car which allowed the German through.

Going into Malaysia it seems apparent that Mclaren have the strongest car as they were far and away the strongest team in Australia and it was only after having to fuel save for 90% of the race that let Red Bull get within distance, when Button and Hamilton were at full throttle for the first 8 laps, they pulled away at over a second a lap which provided a comfortable cushion even though it was wiped out by a safety car due to Vitaly Petrov breaking down on the main straight.

But the Australian Grand Prix raised more questions than it did provide answers, the only thing that we learned was that the not quite so new teams are still as bad as they were last season and Mclaren and Red Bull are the two fastest teams. Ferrari had a shocking qualifying but Fernando Alonso managed to drag it kicking and screaming into 5th place which suggests a better race pace compared to qualifying pace while beleaguered Felipe Massa trundled around in midfield like he was on a Sunday drive in the Australian parks.

lotus are the only team where a question mark still remains about the general competitiveness. Roman Grosjean qualified a remarkable third but was taken out early on by Maldando while returning champion Kimi Raikkonnen failed to get out of first qualifying but managed to fight through the field to finish a very strong seventh which suggests that they do have a strong car but need to ally qualifying with race pace if they are to take the fight to the top teams.

In 2011 Malaysia was a race full of pit stops due to the high degradation of the Pirelli tyres, and while the tyres this year are more conservative and stable, high degradation is still to be expecting and several pit stops are going to be the norm with an unpredictable weekend to come. The only thing to expect is the likelihood of a massive shower at some point during the weekend which would no doubt spice things up.

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/sepang-international-circuit/

Well, I have literally just finished watching the race on BBC, I have to say that I found it quite entertaining.

A good day for Ferrari and Sauber, with some really good pit work, and great choices at the right times, really made the difference.

It could have been different if the McLaren crew were a little slicker with Lewis. He did nothing wrong all race, and yet ended up in third, and a little lonely. Jenson, poor when trying to get past Narain, and never able to recover. I am sure a race he will like to forget. I am sure that he will be back for China.

Merc were a bit of a conundrum for me, really not sure what to make of their race.

Also not really sure what to make of Red Bull either,

Needless to say, I think that the race was not really indicative of where the teams or drivers are at the moment, and I am sure that there will be some comments made, especially about Button, but I actually quite enjoyed it. It is good to see a new podium sitter!

I was reminded of Button in Korea 2010 today.

Everyone has good and bad days. From watching Button's Sky interview though, he seemed like he had a pretty big come down from Australia. Button has been riding the underdog wave for a while now. Wonder if the sudden shift of expectation pushed him too hard today.

Sunday 0200: Patchy rain possible (1.5mm) 0500: Patchy rain possible (1.7mm) 0800 Patchy rain possible (1.1mm) 1100: Light Rain shower (0.8mm) 1400: Patchy rain possinle (2.1mm) 1700: Patchy rain possible (0.8mm)
2-0! And for all of you guys that aren't Geth you didn't see my immense prediction regarding the red flag!
I'm gonna stick my neck on the line and say the race will restart at 10:15
about 20 minutes later, Race Control- "Race will be restarted at 5:15(Malaysian Time)"

Disappointed in Vettel. Giving the finger twice then calling Narain an idiot. And Narain gets penalised??? How that work then? Vettel drove into him.

I was reminded of Button in Korea 2010 today.

I think that is an easy comparison to make, however, Korea was very different.

Today was down to not being able to get heat into the inters (not the first time he has had a similar situation) and this led to his incident. With one less pit stop, he would have been better off. Not a great race, admittedly, and he has no one to blame but himself, as he has stated, but also not a typical race.

I think that is an easy comparison to make, however, Korea was very different.

Today was down to not being able to get heat into the inters (not the first time he has had a similar situation) and this led to his incident. With one less pit stop, he would have been better off. Not a great race, admittedly, and he has no one to blame but himself, as he has stated, but also not a typical race.

I agree it was different, but it still reminded me of it.

I watched only the highlights on Bbc at 2.45 and firstly I thought the commentating was actually better than Sky, also I liked the truncated version, as I missed the hour suspension as well as the build up to the race. Worked rather well I thought if one can avoid the result all morning. still prefer the live aspect of Sky though

And the race, I thought it was brilliant display for F1, gave the stage to many drivers who did well, Perez, what a star, he has been threatening that for a while, Vergne, Senna, Msldanado. It also gave us answers on more established drivers like MSC Button Rosberg Massa Kimi

Mclaren, nothing really to add there that hasn't been said for 3 years, their lack of common sense with Lewis incompetence or something worse

Sergio, Fernando is in front of you, do you understand LOL
Brilliant drive from Alonso, Perez could have had him though and knows it

Clearly the flexi wings , the EBD and the power steering system gained Vettel more of an advantage in performance because Webber is now a lot closer to him and beating him at the moment
( Helmut when are you going to step in and have your say?)

Vettel might have lost his 'magic boost' advantage due to the new regs, but Webber is not necessarily matching him even then. Vettel drive a good race and I think was just unfortunate and ended up in the type of situation a driver in a hurry faces when amongst slower cars. Like Lewis last year a few times. Button though, was leading the race (effectively) and in control and the error was more amateurish than anything Lewis did last season

Back
Top Bottom