Grand Prix 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Someone other than Vettel is leading the Championship!

It may be strange to see, but for the first time since Abu Dhabi 2010 someone other than Sebastian Vettel is top of the Championship after Jenson Button won the Australian Grand Prix in commanding fashion with Vettel second and a folorn Hamilton falling foul of a safety car which allowed the German through.

Going into Malaysia it seems apparent that Mclaren have the strongest car as they were far and away the strongest team in Australia and it was only after having to fuel save for 90% of the race that let Red Bull get within distance, when Button and Hamilton were at full throttle for the first 8 laps, they pulled away at over a second a lap which provided a comfortable cushion even though it was wiped out by a safety car due to Vitaly Petrov breaking down on the main straight.

But the Australian Grand Prix raised more questions than it did provide answers, the only thing that we learned was that the not quite so new teams are still as bad as they were last season and Mclaren and Red Bull are the two fastest teams. Ferrari had a shocking qualifying but Fernando Alonso managed to drag it kicking and screaming into 5th place which suggests a better race pace compared to qualifying pace while beleaguered Felipe Massa trundled around in midfield like he was on a Sunday drive in the Australian parks.

lotus are the only team where a question mark still remains about the general competitiveness. Roman Grosjean qualified a remarkable third but was taken out early on by Maldando while returning champion Kimi Raikkonnen failed to get out of first qualifying but managed to fight through the field to finish a very strong seventh which suggests that they do have a strong car but need to ally qualifying with race pace if they are to take the fight to the top teams.

In 2011 Malaysia was a race full of pit stops due to the high degradation of the Pirelli tyres, and while the tyres this year are more conservative and stable, high degradation is still to be expecting and several pit stops are going to be the norm with an unpredictable weekend to come. The only thing to expect is the likelihood of a massive shower at some point during the weekend which would no doubt spice things up.

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/sepang-international-circuit/

I was keeping a close eye on live timing and Perez was flying near the end setting purple sectors nearly every lap. If he was told to maintain position he wouldn't be risking crashing out by setting fastest sector times time after time

So was I, but if your car is naturally faster, setting purple sectors does not meant that you are on the ragged edge and taking risks.

I believe they were pretty quick in the dry and wet. They were 1/2 for 8 laps in damp conditions after all

They started in P1 and P2 so how is this indicative that they had the fastest race pace? I would be more inclined to look at the lap times over the course of the race, which tell a different story.

The grid can only be comprised of existing talent. A lot of talent exists, right now. Hence, I think what John was saying was intended to be relative.
I am fully aware what John was saying! Given that there are only 24 seats available, only the 24 best drivers should be on the grid.

I would agree with that, unless a different camera angle shows NK moving over into Vettel.
From what I saw that it was Vettel's fault.

I need to check if that 20 seconds drops him a place or not.

That's just bloody silly. Vettel moved across to soon and hit Karthikeyan's front wing. If anything Vettel should be penalised, although it cocked up his race as well. Does this push NK behind DLR in the race standings?

I doubt it, dlR was way down.

Highlights on the Beeb at the moment so you won't have to wait too long to see the various incidents.

No offence, but do you have to criticise everything?

Nope just telling it as it is . Sauber did get a flukey result in MOnaco last year and they've been trying the 1 stop mobile chicane strategy numerous times

People forget Perez got in q3 at MOnaco when he crashed and lost some of his momentum for the rest of the season.

Back to this race
Ferrari and Alonso know in the dry they would have been thrashed and certainly not on the podium ..its minor respite for the team from Luca

Red Bull and Vettel know they don;t have the 1 lap speed advantage and will need to fight through the field to win at the moment

Mclaren know this was a race they should have won

Button knows he wasted a great opportunity and am a Button fan. HIs mistake very unlike him probably got overexcited that he might gain position

Hamilton knows his race pace is not the same as the quali at the moment.

Mercedes know their car eats up tyres too quickly in the race but is great for 1 lap

last but not least someone tell Bernie to move the race early by 1 hour because the rain causes a moonsoon and it was getting dark as well

the coded radio message to Perez - interesting to tell him to back off because well imagine him taking out his future teammate and employers from a certain win

politically motivated hard to say given people did use to accuse Sauber of Ferrari bias in return for support of engineers, engine and sponsored driver.

There is a lot of money at stake for constructors position and chances are Sauber will fall back behind Force India , Lotus and Mercedes as they usually do

It has been a while since Sauber been on the podium - Frentzen 2003 USA if I remember although a fairy tale win would be nice to upset the establishment

11problem with radio messages like that is that the only way to hear them gets classified as "Conspiracy Theory" - the guy's a racer, competed internationally against the top racing drivers in the world for some time, and gets that message - not sensible!

It should be that simple - 24, just 24

But the best driver on a given weekend is often different to the best driver on another weekend or season, so what's there to say that the best 24 drivers are always the best 24 drivers. Also, what makes a driver the best? An investment in a driver is always a gamble. We, as with teams, can only speculate on who the best 24 drivers are.

It would be easier if things were more simplistic but when measuring humans against each other in constantly changing environments there are just too many variables. It is much easier to do this in a sport such as snooker, for example, but even then the numbers can lie.

So was I, but if your car is naturally faster, setting purple sectors does not meant that you are on the ragged edge and taking risks.

Well considering he was the fastest driver of anyone near the end, its clear to me he was was pushing for the win. Each to their own opinion

Back
Top Bottom