Grand Prix 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Typical F1.
You wait months for a race and then 2 come along in the space of a few weeks.

This weekend will see the 13th race at the Sepang circuit; will it be unlucky for some?
For a most excellent circuit write-up, see Galahad's musings here, along with enough stat's and data to satisfy the most ardent of nerds: Sepang International Circuit

2009 is remembered for the later start and torrential rain which resulted in the race being red flagged after 33 laps; making it only the fifth race in F1 history to be stopped before 75% of the distance had been completed.

Ferrari and McLaren will no doubt be aiming to make it into Q2 after their amateurish mistakes last year.
With rain forecast for the weekend though, the chances of one or more of the top drivers making a mistake is fairly high.

This race is probably make or break for HRT.
If they don't manage to qualify within 107% of the fastest time in Q1 and are once again stopped from participating in the Grand Prix, then you have to assume it's all over for them.

So, lots to look forward to. Let's hope it's not a Red Bull walkover and qualifying is a lot closer than Australia.

Alonso has lost a place to Kobayashi - the order is now: Vettel, Button, Heidfeld, Webber, Massa, Kobayashi, Alonso, Hamilton, Schumacher, di Resta.

Ridiculous decision on both counts as far as I'm concerned. Alonso made a mistake and it cost him, Hamilton defended his position fairly.

The Hamilton one is kind of vague but the Alonso one? That's plain crazy, and he's my least favourite driver.

Apparently it was when Hamilton was defending against Alonso that he was determined to have made more than one move.

I've said for awhiule they should take more a of a back seat, and only certain incidents (a fewwer amount than at the moment) should be reffered to them. Their effect is too strong and too questionable in it's logic.

What the hell? I know what they are referring to! The footage that Brundle talked about on the red button. Button described it as some great and fair racing between the two, with Hamilton planting his car in the middle of the track to defend from Alonso. Hamilton veering VERY slightly over to the right of the track (if you are facing them front on) and then VERY slightly straightened up for the corner. Compared to other movement seen on the main straights, it is completely ridiculous that he has got a penalty. Compare it to Massa defending from Button and I think you'll find he moved one way and then another much more significantly than Hamilton did!

The fact of the matter is though that Alonso keeps his 6th place, whilst Hamilton loses another position. If Alonso had not of crashed into Hamilton (I know it was a misjudgment) then Hamilton would have been higher up, how much higher up, who knows. He would have obviously lost 3rd to Alonso but his times definitely got worse after losing some rear downforce by having his diffuser / rear wing broken. This possibly contributed to his tyres degrading even more quickly as well, meaning he had to do an extra pit stop with only a handful of laps to go.

When he started to "straighten up", he was basically at the turn in for the corner. He was out quite wide, it is not his fault that Alonso is directly behind him. Did the stewards expect him to stay that far out all the way round the corner! It is obvious he is going to have to change direction when he gets to the approach of the bloody corner!

Good to see consistency by the FIA. Hamilton gets penalised for weaving while Vettel gets away with it at the start.......

So Vettel is allowed to block. And massa is allowed to block. But Hamilton must carry on driving in a straight line when someone is behind him?

A piece of driving that is described by Brundle as brilliant is illegal? What is the point anymore. With DRS and Jessica Michibata allowed on the stewards panel the sport is becoming a joke.

Back
Top Bottom