You're the team principal.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
You've just set up your own F1 team and have Gordon Murray, Adrian Newey, John Barnard and Ross Brawn as the design team. Money is no object and all the drivers are desperate to driver for you. Also, Adrian "The Brain" Newey has built you a time machine which allows you to go back in time and dominate F1 since 1950. So here's you chance to pick two drivers from the current grid and two from history to crate the ultimate F1 team.

Here's mine:

Historical

Jim Clark - The greatest driver ever?
Juan Manual Fangio - Mr Consistent

Current Grid

Fernando Alonso - The best all round driver on the grid today
Lewis Hamilton - Just because he's Lewis

Please avoid commenting on others choices as these will be deleted as I could do without an Easter "Flame War" :thumbsup:

Moss and Prost - 2 cool, calm, collected drivers (most of the time) whilst being vary fast.
Alonso and Schumacher (Michael, not Ralf) - 2 drivers who (mostly) drive the wheels off their cars (think Spain 96, Monaco 97, Hungary 98, China 06 and all of 200-04 for Schumacher).

Historical:

Jim Clark & Alain Prost - Both quick and knew what it took to win, though Prost would've won more titles without the rule of dropping your worst 5 races.

Current:

Nico Hulkenberg & Kamui Kobayashi - Two extremely talented drivers who I believe just need a decent car to show they're as good as if not better than some of the current 'top' drivers in F1.

PROST - Four time champion, four time runner-up. Reliable and consistent.
STEWART - Probably didn't drive the best car when he took his three titles!

ALONSO - Drives a car fast and consistently overachieves
BUTTON - With a team like this, you'll need someone who is good enough to win, but probably won't get put off too much if he doesn't.

Hmmm... consistent drivers all...

Tom Pryce, to see how good he would become under the guidance of:
Jackie Stewart.
Lewis Hamilton, to see how good he would become under the guidance of:
Jenson Button.

Jim Clark--the best I've ever seen
Dan Gurney--the only driver Clark ever said he feared--which makes him good enough for me.

Alonso--Possibly the best on the grid today
Vettel- to see how he coompares with Alonso in equal equipment

Can't pick any drivers from history. All I really know about them is what I read on this forum and see on the odd historical F1 TV program.

On the current grid I would pick

No.1 - Lewis Hamilton (best natural talent when harnessed)
No.2 - Nico Rosberg (would make a great no.2 to Lewis and would pick up decent points without being a direct threat to Lewis, helping to maintain balance whilst delivering.

I think they would offer the best chance of securing titles and maximising results.

Historical Grid:
1. Alberto Ascari- nine straight wins is incredible, especially when people like Nino Farina and Mike Hawthorne are driving the same car
2. Ricardo Rodriguez- Second at Le Mans at 18, Scoring points in F1 at 19. Makes Vettel look like a late bloomer. Could have been great.
Currrent Grid:
1. Kimi Raikkonen- Incredible amount of pure talent driving a car. Relaxed attitude will help avoid problems.
2. Sergio Perez- Just imagine what you could accomplish one stopping with the fastest car

Historical Grid:

2. Ricardo Rodriguez- Second at Le Mans at 18, Scoring points in F1 at 19. Makes Vettel look like a late bloomer. Could have been great.

Sorry to be pedantic - he was older than Jenson Button was when he scored his first points! ( I think the list of youngest points scorers goes:
Vettel, Alguersuari Button, Rodriguez.....

However, second at Le Mans at age 18 really is an incredible achievement!

Fangio is tempting but one of the reasons he won so many races is he jumped from team to team often mid season, which generally meant he was in the best car. My gut tells me these two would be better than Fangio in equal equipment.

Historical :
Jim Clark
Ayrton Senna

For the current grid I would of picked Alonso and Hamilton but that has been tried and didn't work. So....

Current:
Lewis Hamilton
Sebastian Vettel

Historic:
Senna - One of the most natural talents, put your life on him if you needed a blistering one-shot quali lap.
Clark - Greatest ever. Fast in anything and everything, F1, F2, touring cars.

Present - Hamilton and Alonso. Quite simply the two best drivers on the grid at the moment, the only two who don't need the fastest car to win and who can drag cars further up the grid than they have a right to be.

You've just set up your own F1 team and have Gordon Murray, Adrian Newey, John Barnard and Ross Brawn as the design team. Money is no object and all the drivers are desperate to driver for you. Also, Adrian "The Brain" Newey has built you a time machine which allows you to go back in time and dominate F1 since 1950. So here's you chance to pick two drivers from the current grid and two from history to crate the ultimate F1 team.

Here's mine:

Historical

Jim Clark - The greatest driver ever?
Juan Manual Fangio - Mr Consistent

Current Grid

Fernando Alonso - The best all round driver on the grid today
Lewis Hamilton - Just because he's Lewis

Please avoid commenting on others choices as these will be deleted as I could do without an Easter "Flame War" :thumbsup:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll add that Radio 5 Live had this question last year I think Crofty answered within two seconds that his two drivers would be

Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton

Ant's response was you're gonna have a big problem managing those days but seriously those two would be most people's pick on the current grid

Murray Walker was asked a similar question about any driver he'd want in his team and his response was

Alan JOnes and Nigel Mansell for their ballsy racing attitude

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moss - greatest driver never to be F1 cham' - like Clark drove and won races in just about every category going
Clark - possibly greatest ever - would have been interesting to see him in current motor
Hamilton - Lovely car control great to watch - proven winner
Perez - Not exactly proven over a season distance but looking very interesting

Back
Top Bottom