• Allen and Hill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify in post)

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

MCLS

Anti F1 fan
Valued Member
Quite a simple one really, of the years that you have been watching F1, which commentating partnership has made the viewing that bit more pleasurable and entertaining. For me it has to be Walker and Hunt, unfortunately I am to young to have watched those races live, but watching the videos now and the standard of commentary was great considering the lack of technology that was there in the eighties (particularly for the viewer) and it is definetely a step above some of the partnerships now, Brundle and legard anyone?

Crofty during FP with Davidson is also worth a shout. Voted for Allen and Brundle - I liked JA, don't know why he didn't come over to the BBC?

I actually used to like James Allen and Martin Brundle together and could never quite understand the vitriol that was aimed towards Allen.

Not a fan of Murray Walker at all and was very happy when he retired.

Brundle and Coulthard are OK but there's something missing...

I would have said Crofty and Davidson but after the latter's comments about our overtaking data, it's a no.

I have to say I did like Allen but he seemed to alienate a lot of fans with a supposed bias towards Hamilton, but surely if that was the case you could say the same with Coulthard and Red Bull?

I don't think it was a bias. Lewis turned up and set the sport alight and so he was bound to be a focus of attention, especially In the British media. It's also worth noting that with Lewis' stunning debut year where he turned up and beat all of the established drivers regularly this was bound to be disconcerting for the existing fan base who had other allegiances.

I like the current one. I've only started following F1 on the BBC since 2009 because we don't have ITV here (the Netherlands) so before that I watched it on a Dutch channel. I've watched clips with Walker commentating and I always thought he was annoying. Legard was terrible and I haven't seen enough of the others to comment on them.

I have to admit that the Brundle DC partnership is working out much better than I ever anticipated. I do wish, every now and again though, they would just stop talking and let us watch what's going on. Although I've already expressed my "dream team", Walker/Hunt would be second, James Allen just annoyed the living snot out of me so anyone but him, Legard wasn't too bad but did drone on, Crofty on Radio 5 is pretty good.

Just to scare some people, anyone remember when Jonathan Palmer was paired with Murray? The good doctor could even make an exciting race dull.

For me it had to be Walker / Hunt because that was how I started watching F1 and in the modern PC world you will never again see a commentator as sardonic, balshy and in some cases downright rude as James Hunt. He made each commentary a memorable one.

Another notable commentating team for me had to be John Watson and Ben Edwards in their Eurosport days.

I agree with FB that the Brundle / DC team is working far better than I imagined it would. I think part of that is down to the fact that Brundle is prepared to ask the questions that we all really know he knows the answer to but he still allows DC to give the drivers perspective while he acts as the "Fan in the Comm Box" part. I don't think it would work as well if the both of them spouted technobable all of the time. There has to be a summeriser and an expert for a comm team to work well.

For some time in the future when he's not in the car, I would love to see Karun Chandok take up a roll on a commentary team. I like his refreshing style and honesty. He has done some friday work for the BBC and I actually preffered listening to Karun than Anthony Davidson.

James Allen made me want to jam pencils into my ears. God I hated listening to that man !!! The worst thing I hated him doing was that horrible shouty thing he did when a driver crossed the finishing line. He could never seem to time it to say the word "Wins" at the moment a driver crossed the line. Just listen to some of the play back on youtube. It always, always went something like this....

"And Lewis Hamilton....... Long pause......(ooops started to early again) further pause......... "Weeeeeeeeeennnnnnssssss!!!!"

:censored: Allen

As for Dr Jonathan Palmer, The insomniac F1 Fans supporters club commentator of the year 1994.

Well Walker and Brundle and Hunt I think were good from the classic races ive watched and so was JA and MB and I currently love DC and MB so I cant really choose 1!

Murray Walker and Martin Brundle for me, always will be the ultimate duo as I grew up listening to them.

I like James Hunt and Murray Walker, James's English accent and calm voice, goes to sleep then wakes up after Murray starts shouting the way he does! :snigger:

I didn't like Martin Brundle and Legard at all in 2009, but in 2010 I started too, Brundle used to give me and my friends a laugh, just the way he would commentate on things, even on something little, ah, I actually miss that dude if I am honest.

I have to say I did like Allen but he seemed to alienate a lot of fans with a supposed bias towards Hamilton, but surely if that was the case you could say the same with Coulthard and Red Bull?
And Coulthard with Jenson Button

Back
Top Bottom