YOU BET GAME - 2017

I think a rule tweek is coming for next year to keep competition closer till the end of the year.

Using live odds would do it, like bookies do. Ie: Odds to be taken when the bet deadline is up.

If you're concerned that this season's game is already overly skewed because of the likes of me taking 9/1 on Vettel, then I'd completely agree. It is skewed. (Why everyone else didn't change their bet to Vettel when his odds had come in dramatically after free practice is another matter). Anyway, I'd be happy to have the table remade based on live odds.

And watch out jez101, I'm coming after you :D

To be honest this has been coming for a whilst jez101 you are not the first to make a huge all or nothing bet at the start of the year. RasputinLives did it 2 years ago but it never paid off. You played the game and won (probably). But the rules need tweaked to maintain interest for the rest of the players throughout the year.

I'm open to suggestions but my initial thoughts are either a maximum bet limit or flipping the money on it's head so you only get a £10 credit on a race by race basis and not the whole years credits all at once in advance.

The other way to do it would be to avoid crazy odds by having the first race as a non-championship bet.

vintly I'm not sure how a live odds idea would work in practice. If the cut off was just before the race then people would be betting blind and it may not stop the crazy odds in the first race of the season?

Anyway I'm open to ideas. But I think something should change.

Greenlantern101 I don't mean to meddle, but here's my second tuppence worth: If it works for the bookies it should work for this system. Jez, myself and others didn't get lucky because we bet on a non-favourite who won, we got lucky because the odds weren't representative of the race. Using live odds would completely stop the crazy odds at the beginning of the season. Make the bet cut-off point Friday evening, and take the odds at the same time. No one really needs to bet until after FP2, but if you want to bet beforehand you’re welcome to look up odds yourself. The rewards for a bold bet should be good, but not crazy-good, which is what happened here. Personally I wouldn't cap the betting as that takes all the risk out of it. If it was £10 each race I'd be inclined to put £9 on an outsider every time as there'd never be much to win or lose.

To keep this season's betting lively simply redo the table using pre-race odds. We'd all be in the same order, just less spread out.

vintly - I would suggest against this - in a normal bookies, they us live odds, and have to honour the live odds. Here, it would be difficult to have a live odd assigned to each of the bets that is made.

In addition, if you were to only attribute the odds at the time the time of the race, an individual may have chosen an each-way bet at a time when it made sense to do so, but when you get to the race, the odds had shortened so much that it no longer made sense to do so!

Thanks vintly I'm not sure people would be happy to place a bet when the odds won't be set until a later date.
I'm certain Jez wouldn't be happy with the table being retrospectively reworked. Thats not fair.

Maybe the answer is a limit on the bet amount in the first race or 2 only?

In real life, you get the odds at the time you make the bet (not the starting price or live odds). I don't like the idea of Live Odds because of you go down that route, people who make a bet on the basis that risking X at 9-1 is worthwhile whereas risking the same amount at evens is not.

When I placed the bet here, the real odds had softened a bit but was still around 7-1. It was a bit of luck and a bit of foresight. At the time, the chance of Ferrari winning was around 7-1 and I got odds of 9-1. After qualifying, sure it was more likely.

I think this is a distraction to the real problem that you want to solve. It would not be hard for me to play out the rest of the season making 1 groat bets (or just waiting until the day before the race and matching the bet of the second placed person). I'm not really interested in that. I'm just in it for fun, but of course having got a nice win, I wouldn't want to just blow that in the second race and miss the rest of the season.

My suggestion would be to revise rule 6 to be a fraction of your current assets, rather than 'any bet'. I think that would then make it possible/likely that I would come back to the pack. It's a bit like a reverse grid but if that leads to more overtakes, then maybe that's what we want in You Bet!

Back
Top Bottom