Yas Marina Circuit is open for business

oooooh another circuit in the desert by the sea.....

Can you spot the photoshop?

YM5_full.jpg

I love the "square" corner, although I'm struggling to see which corner this is on the circuit map. Shame all the grandstands make it look like Goodwood gee gee race course.

YM2_full.jpg

On the right hand side it looks like that's the entrance to the pit lane and those tent styled covers over the grandstand is probably the start & finish straight so I would say turns 19 & 20?

Abu Dhabi - Yas Marina Circuit

Hmmm, hang on, that doesn't fit.
Have they actually built the track to the correct plan? LOL

The image on the F1 site looks slightly more accurate and I still reckon that's the pit entry so that would make it turns 18 & 19.
However, that's the bit that goes under the hotel and that's not there so no idea :s

2009 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

And looking at that image, am I seeing it correctly?
Does the pit lane exit go under/over the circuit and cars re-enter after turn 2?
Surely not :o

The FIA document would seem to suggest exactly that: Abu Dhabi Circuit

Attachments

• yas_marina.png
    yas_marina.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 203
That must be the longest pit lane at any F1 circuit, past or present. Oh how I miss the days of open garages at the side of the circuit.

Pit-Boards---IMS-771714.jpg

Brogan said:
On the right hand side it looks like that's the entrance to the pit lane and those tent styled covers over the grandstand is probably the start & finish straight so I would say turns 19 & 20?

Abu Dhabi - Yas Marina Circuit

Hmmm, hang on, that doesn't fit.
Have they actually built the track to the correct plan? LOL

The image on the F1 site looks slightly more accurate and I still reckon that's the pit entry so that would make it turns 18 & 19.
However, that's the bit that goes under the hotel and that's not there so no idea :s

2009 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

And looking at that image, am I seeing it correctly?
Does the pit lane exit go under/over the circuit and cars re-enter after turn 2?
Surely not :o

The FIA document would seem to suggest exactly that: Abu Dhabi Circuit

I think it's Turn 8, and what you see to the right is a service road connecting turns 9 and 21. As for turns 5-7, what the hell is the point in putting a hairpin yards after a chicane? You've just lost a decent braking distance! Oh that's right, overtaking is banned modern F1.

It can't be turn 8 - that's a left followed by a right for turn 9.

The image in FB's post is 3 corners which are left, left, right.

Brogan said:
It can't be turn 8 - that's a left followed by a right for turn 9.

The image in FB's post is 3 corners which are left, left, right.

The 2nd left is the turn to the service road. Follow the darker shading and it curves right. Although the perspective will make it worse, you can see that this service road is narrower than the normal track, and there are no kerbs on the outside here, where you would expect some.
You can also see a slight kink on the straight on the approach to turn 8, which matches the diags.

My apologies, you're spot on :thumbsup:

So that is the pit entrance and start/finish straight, it's just that it looks like it's connected via that service road when it is in fact the other side of the circuit.
I knew I wasn't going completely mad :D

The more I look at it, the more I think that pit lane exit is just wrong.
It looks to me like cars will be feeding back onto the circuit in a dangerous position.
I can see there being more than a few incidents there.

I guess the start/finish straight just wasn't long enough (a little more thought at the planning stage needed?), and the only other 'safe' place would be after turn 4!

The exit shown will have them off the racing line, but it doesn't leave much room for error on the cars taking turn 3 at speed - A slower car joinnig on the outside of an accelerating car?

The mind does boggle when for all the talk of safety, you have approved designs like this, and the pit lane entry/exit of Singapore last year.

May I suggest that they were a little dangerous, FB?

Surely the better exit would actually be at the outside of turn 1 rather than the inside of turn 3? I can't see what Tilke is thinking!

Some images of the circuit and a simulated lap.

Attachments

• yas_marina_1.jpg
    yas_marina_1.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 92
  • yas_marina_2.jpg
    yas_marina_2.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 90
  • yas_marina_3.jpg
    yas_marina_3.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 85
  • yas_marina_4.jpg
    yas_marina_4.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 96
  • yas_marina_5.jpg
    yas_marina_5.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 91
wouldn't it be interesting to know what the brief for tilke was?

i think this circuit has some interesting features but also some silly features, like the already mentioned pit pass thing. probably there is nothing on how to handle this in the rules. the thing that bothers me most, is not so much the circuit but the fact it seems to be pretty close to one great big beach. also known as a desert.

one bit of wind and time to start building sand castles. and it has been known to be windy in that part of the world.

another thing. is this circuit opened all year round or is it just there for f1?

wouldn't it be interesting to know what the brief for tilke was?

Obviously there will be FIA safety regs to meet but ...

Does he have free reign on the design or are his hands tied by a certain FIA spec ?

Most new tracks seem to have very few overtaking opportunities, if this is down to the cars then surely the track is not suitable, ie. the track has not been designed around the cars.

They alter existing tracks in terms of safety and to slow the cars down, why can't they alter these newer tracks when it becomes evident that the chances of an overtake are nil.

the thing that bothers me most, is not so much the circuit but the fact it seems to be pretty close to one great big beach. also known as a desert.
:thumbsup:

Re: Interlagos 2009

Ha, but I put it in the wrong thread. This was supposed to go in the Yas Marina one :embarrassed:

Back
Top Bottom