Yamamoto fine

Yamamoto wasn't fined, the team were.
In cases like this it's the team who bear the penalty as Yamamoto was only responding to the signal from his pit crew member.

This is from the FIA document:

The Stewards, having received a report from the Race Director, have considered the following matter, determine a breach of the regulations has been committed by the competitor named below and impose the penalty referred to.

Team HRT
Time 14:37
Session Race
Fact Unsafe release from pit stop
Offence Breach of Article 23.1 (j) of the 2010 FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations
Penalty Fine - $20,000

The chap involved must have been quite badly injured to still be in hospital so hopefully he will go on to make a full recovery.

"Sakon Yamamoto was fined $20,000 (£12,900) after his car hit the man on the head during a pit-stop, leading to the engineer being taken to hospital." According to the BBC. Bad journalism then >:(

I have a question on the Yamamoto situation! When the ambulance was in the pit lane, was the pit lane closed? I did not see anyone pit during this time, but I thought that may be because the softs were so damn durable!

I'd imagine the pit lane would be pretty damn impassible so, if the pits were closed, was it a rule or a simple consideration? And if the race finished with the pits closed, would the teams have been able to get away with not running a set of tyres?

teabagyokel said:
I have a question on the Yamamoto situation! When the ambulance was in the pit lane, was the pit lane closed? I did not see anyone pit during this time, but I thought that may be because the softs were so damn durable!

I'd imagine the pit lane would be pretty damn impassible so, if the pits were closed, was it a rule or a simple consideration? And if the race finished with the pits closed, would the teams have been able to get away with not running a set of tyres?

Yes the pits were closed, but im not too sure about what would happen if the pits remained closed.

teabagyokel said:
I have a question on the Yamamoto situation! When the ambulance was in the pit lane, was the pit lane closed?
Yes it was, for about 2 laps if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom