Windows 10

So here's a nice big bug in Windows 10 Version 1607

It's reading External Hard Drives as having a RAW file format, which is pretty much useless for Windows. The drives are unusable unless you use another program to access the data, and you cannot write data to them either. I knew the external drive was fine because it was working perfectly on my Vista system. I just recently discovered that it was a Windows 10 v 1607 issue after trying anything/everything aside from attempting a re-format.

Anybody else seeing this or having a similar issue?

I've not heard of that one KtK, I've just checked all my external hard drives on all Win 10 1607 updated machines here with no problems to report.

My friend has just upgraded his 2009 Mac Mini so asked if I'd like to have the old one as it was running really slowly, I bought it home and wiped all of the Apple crap off it and installed Windows 10 on it...... Why? Because I can LOL

It runs really smooth too LOL

Decided to do some sorting out of my photos which I have downloaded with PHOTOfun Studio supplied by Panasonic. To my horror all those which were downloaded since upgrading to Windows 10 are simply screwed. There are folders which have no access, when you do get in what is in there are a whole load of files which bear no relationship to any known system and are totally not viewable.

I spent most of yesterday finding a simple storage system ( I have GIMP for editing ), settling on trying out FastStone which seems to do what I want. I then had to transfer around 75 Gb of photos from pre-windows 10 storage and the missing ones from my camera.

I have also checked that all the files are there by comparison with those in digiKam on Linux. Why did I ever downgrade from Windows 7.1?

There is a theory that in 20 years time all the current file formats (jpg, gif, pdf etc) won't be accessible as technology will have moved on and these will be become redundant. Where I work we have load of data backed up from the late 90's early noughties and we have had to get new software to convert these files into a format that is readable.

Anyone remember the fun the BBC had a little while ago when they realised half their archive from the 80's was on "Laser Disc" and they didn't have a laser disc player? They had to see if they could borrow one to get the programmes back.

The world of information technology move forward with gay abandon and completely forgets that there is anything from the past anyone might want to hear or read. I suppose it's the modern day equivalent of us trying to read ancient Egyptian script but it all happens much faster.

Yeah. I'm with you. I'm going to start driving again when they bring engine starts back 1920s style. ;)

Sorry. Just joshing. Couldn't resist.

My Lennovo laptop, which came with Windows 8 pre installed, but now has been Windows 10, has developed a serious case of "Blue screen of Death" syndrome. The message of "REGISTRY_ERROR" appears on the blue screen, whilst Microsoft helpfully tells me that they're restarting my pc for me.(This happens every 30 minutes or so...)

Now, I no longer need to worry whether if I'm re-starting my PC enough, but it is rather inconvenient...

Last edited:
I have recently made a computer for the princely sum of about £19 and some bits I had lying around at home.

It runs linux or Android but I have it set up as a retro games machine (that also plays Sky Sports F1).

It runs every game from Atari to Zx Spectrum via Playstations and NES to N64 with Doom and Duke Nukem thrown in too :D

You'll need an old/broken laptop with a working screen. A video driver board for that screen (ebay) an Orange Pi and an SD card out of an old phone.

New-Coming-Orange-Pi-Lite-with-Quad-Core-1-2GHz-512MB-DDR3-WiFi-Beyond-Raspberry-Pi.jpg

My Lennovo laptop, which came with Windows 8 pre installed, but now has been Windows 10, has developed a serious case of "Blue screen of Death" syndrome. The message of "REGISTRY_ERROR" appears on the blue screen, whilst Microsoft helpfully tells me that they're restarting my pc for me.(This happens every 30 minutes or so...)

Now, I no longer need to worry whether if I'm re-starting my PC enough, but it is rather inconvenient...
What kind of registry error?
My girlfriend's laptop used to get the BSoD every hour or so too. In her case I re-installed the video card drivers since then it hasn't re-appeared.

I read somewhere that one of the Windows Updates patches causes this. You just need to uninstall it (once you find which one it is)

I use Windows 10 at Uni and after reading an article I thought I'd give it a go on my laptop. I guess it simply takes time getting used to, I used Windows XP until 2012 and went straight to Windows 7 and they are very much alike when it comes to the UI.

This is

5rk7Rt9.png

not Windows 10, it's Windows 7, because I don't like Windows 10. I don't like apps on my PC. I don't like tiles. I don't like having to do hours of setup work on my PC. I don't like cramped UIs. I don't like Windows 10.

I did like the background images that one is one of them, so I copied them to Dropbox. :D

Windows 10, it lasted for about 4 hours on my PC, before I got fed up of the UI and other things and reverted to Windows 7.

I would be more interested in getting a way of bypassing that software upgrade which does not work but takes 15 minutes to work it out. Ican prevent it from working but that means that all upgrades get ignored.

Back
Top Bottom