Williams to run KERS in 2010?

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Valued Member
http://formula-1.updatesport.com/ne...lines/Williams-may-use-KERS-in-2010/view.html

Given that they are currently not in FOTA and therefore they don't feel bound by the voluntary agreement I guess this makes sense. We have already seen in the last 2 races just how much advantage Mclaren have managed to make of having KERS fitted. The question is, will other teams now have a second look at KERS and maybe change their minds on it use next year.

If this story is true I think Williams are playing a clever game here. The team is fast enough now to hold a spot in the top 4 and with the extra horsepower from KERS it could make all the difference especially at the start of the race.

Eh?!

McLaren have agreed to give up what is arguably the best KERS system currently developed for the benefit of the sport and now Williams announce this.

They're playing a strange game and obviously don't see the need to be part of FOTA anymore.

If this is true then I hope McLaren, Ferrari and the rest look at the possibility of continuing to use KERS.
After all, they spent a lot of time, effort and money developing the systems and it fits in with the FIA's current "green" agenda so why shouldn't they.

It appears Frank may have visited C_t_A and been given the idea by me...

McZiderRed - KERS or Curse thread 12/06/09 said:
But, as the article says, FOTA have got rid of it, does that mean that Williams can still develop their flywheel thingy? Steal a march on the rest ...
Must try to watch what I say in future! :embarrassed:

Seriously though, Williams are looking like they'll look after the best interests of their sponsors. If that means using KERS, now that it seems to be working well for other teams, then that's what they'll do?

The last line of the article made me chuckle. The Williams spokesman claims that some teams, notably mercedes, are currently reviewing their position on KERS.

You've got to laugh haven't you. The single guiding principle in F1 is self interest. Todays political alliance is tomorrows protest.

Well a lot as happened over the past week to do with KERS

For the first time since it has been brought in we have seen that possibly the KERS is a good thing and have an advantage over normal F1 cars. Although both cars have obviously improved Hamilton and Kimi's top 2 finish has been attributed a lot down to the KERS system, where they were at a track which suited the system.

Williams will not be the only team considering KERS for 2010 and im not on just on about the non-FOTA team either.

The downer of Massa followed by the high of Schumacher's return is over. Braces yourselves of more Politics in F1 this time amongst the FOTA teams has they now argue over weather KERS should be allowed for 2010.

McZiderRed said:
It appears Frank may have visited C_t_A and been given the idea by me...
Burn the witch!

:D

I can see why Williams want to run it but if they do then the FOTA teams should review their position IMO.
Especially since the success of McLaren and Ferrari at the last race.

It was inevitable that KERS would be made to work and a car running it would win a race (despite what Eddie Jordan may think). Good on Williams, the way FOTA treated them was a disgrace; I'm glad FW has found a way to get his own back. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when they made the decision to make this information public. :snigger:

BTW, has anyone got any idea why EJ kept repeating, ad naseum, that a KERS car would never get pole. I could never fathom the logic behind this comment.

Fat Bloke said:
BTW, has anyone got any idea why EJ kept repeating, ad naseum, that a KERS car would never get pole. I could never fathom the logic behind this comment.

me right you wrong i would imagine.

but back to KERS, it was already pretty evident earlier in the year, this technology did bring something to F1. the problem was not all the teams used the device and those sneaky guys who did not had another trick which made them win races. bad players them.

that took away all the spotlight from KERS. but just cos the technology was not in the spotlight does not mean it did not work. and then FOTA came into being, cor those guys have a lot to answer for. it felt like ferrari did not want KERS cos their version was less effective so out the door went KERS. purely political.

but now we see on the macca that KERS works and pretty devastating too. especially at the start and in the first few laps when the field is still close. all cars are pretty much the same, overtaking is hard so any device that can give additional speed is great. KERS is just that.

The way I look at it is every team was free to develop a KERS system just as they were all free to design a double diffuser; Ross Brawn even told the rest of them he was going to do just that.

Therefore I have no problem with any team using either or neither.

Fat Bloke said:

To be utterly fair, Eddie Jordan hasn't been sitting on the fence as a pundit, has he? You didn't get this on ITV - Mark Blundell wasn't interesting enough to suggest torching a car!

As for Williams, I would run KERS next year if I wasn't bound by the FOTA 'ban'! I mean, if you only run it at Monte Carlo and Hungaroring and you win those two races then its worth it, no? Especially if you've already developed it!

Back
Top Bottom