Williams - A cause for concern?

James Key had a proven track record?

Mechanical Engineering degree, University of Nottingham; designer in the Lotus GT programme
Switch to Formula One as data engineer for Jordan Grand Prix
Test engineer for Jordan
Race engineer to Takuma Sato at Jordan
Switch to aerodynamics department at Jordan
Head of Vehicle Dynamics at Jordan
2005-2010
Technical Director of the variously named team Midland, Spyker, Force India
From 1st April 2010

Technical Director at Sauber Motorsport

As great as it has turned out for Sauber I'm not entirely convinced that they knew he was exactly what they needed. A great interview would've helped.​

The topic of engineers is quite interesting (perhaps a new thread?).. for instance Mike Gascoyne seems to get a lot of credit, yet you look back at his career and by and large, he has underwhelmed. Of course there are other factors that we don't know about, but the fact that a guy like that has never really been snapped up by a top 3 or 4 team says something to me.​

But as I said in the new engines thread, it is the rising manufacturers of Korea / China and (missed out) India that will want the prestige of investing and succeeding in F1 to boost their car products and engineering prowess.

You forget, TATA are a rising manufacturer in India. That they have chosen to go an unusual route into their global expansion is interesting. You can see them raising their profile in F1 already (Ferrari and HRT already carry TATA logos), and as people get used to the idea that Jaguar is owned by an Indian corporation and hasn't lost its edge as a result, you can bet that they will play up the synergies more and more.

I'm actually pretty interested in TATA for anumber of reasons...
I appreciate what they have done with the Nano in making a profitable car for negligable cost that, despite early problems, provides safe and efficient transport for its target market. I beleive it takes far more skill to dsign and manufacture small vehicles to a tight budget than all the supercars in the world (broad generalisation, I know).
I also work with a surprising number of ex- Jaguar engineers, despite the fact we've all moved into green oak framing, so their enthusiasm for JLR does rub off.
The Jaguar Williams partnership looks really promising and clearly reflects the respect for Willams engineering pedigree. If they can make this small hybrid engine work... and it is clearly a detuned version of the proposed 2013 F1 engine then it could work out nicely for a Williams resurgence.

It has had a very positive effect on Williams shares.Up by 4,47% to €19.850.

For the umpteenth time none of the money raised by Williams flotation went to the team.The shares were owned by Patrick Head and Frank Williams.The money went to them Not the team.

Would be a nail in the Cosworth coffin if thats the case, (and would throw a huge curve ball into the FF1 league)

Is there really that much wrong with the current Cosworth engine?
Williams's problems run deeper than that at present... better they focus on the 2013 engine with Cosworth / JLR and have continuity than change everything this year.

Constructors' Championship:

[bg=#000000]1. Red Bull Renault
2. McLaren Mercedes
3. Scuderia Ferrari
4. Lotus Renault
5. Mercedes GP
6. Sauber Ferrari
7. Toro Rosso Ferrari
8. Force India Mercedes
9. Team Lotus Renault
10. Williams Cosworth
11. Maruissa Virgin Cosworth
12. Hispania Racing Team Cosworth[/bg]

You wouldn't want to be in the boardroom at Cosworth F1!

It's not Cosworth's fault that they supply the bottom half of the table...remember Williams went down by their own accord not due to the engines.

Cosworth is an all round engine, reliability, doesn't consume much fuel like Ferrari, bhp think it's better than Renaults.

TBY i'm going to be pedantic, but shouldn't it be Scuderia Toro Rosso, or has something changed recently?

Back
Top Bottom